• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition for Open Carry in Illinois by County?

Wastelander

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum--just started browsing a few weeks ago and just joined today--and I am also new to handguns (growing up in rural Illinois I tended to play around with rifles and shotguns instead). I now live in Arizona, but the rest of my family lives back in Illinois. In any case, in light of the Supreme Court's decision this morning, it got me thinking about how we might be able to go about getting an Open Carry option going in Illinois. The thought occurred to me that whenever I have heard about people trying to loosen gun rights there, it has been on a state level where Chicagoans can shoot it down. Well, that got me thinking and I proceeded to call the County Clerk's Office for my home County back in the Land of Lincoln and Ms. Hartley is working with the Board of Elections to find out what the requirements would be to put forth a petition for Open Carry (or Concealed, possibly) on a County level. If Illinois can cut Chicago out of the loop by doing it by County, it would obviously have some issues when going between counties, potentially, but I think that it might be a good place to start. Thoughts?

devildoc5

from what I understand (again I could have everything bass ackwards here) but the local governments could enact laws and ordinances that were LESS stringent then the state ones, but not MORE restrictive. Like I said though I could have it bass ackwards.....

junglebob

from what I understand (again I could have everything bass ackwards here) but the local governments could enact laws and ordinances that were LESS stringent then the state ones, but not MORE restrictive. Like I said though I could have it bass ackwards.....
Yes, I think you've got it backwards. Chicago ordinaces on firearms are more stringent that the state law. They can't be less stringent. A community could set their speed limit at 20 mph, but they couldn't set it at 75 as that is higher than allowed by the state. I wish there was the option to open or conceal carry, Southern Illinois would probably adopt it in most counties, judging by a recent poll on support for LTC.