• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

tim87

ok so I am somewhat new to the world of guns, I've had a glock 19 for the past 4 months and I am considering getting a 1911,

note this will not be a fulltime carry gun, kinda like a special carry gun

I am looking at the springfield lineup mainly the loaded I don't like the sights on the gi

I was on another forum and asked about a 1911 and most everyone commented that it wouldn't be a good gun, reliability problems and the design that is about 100 years old....this was a car forum I want to know what a gun forum thinks

Dreamer

I was on another forum and asked about a 1911 and most everyone commented that it wouldn't be a good gun, reliability problems and the design that is about 100 years old....this was a car forum I want to know what a gun forum thinks

Getting gun advice on a car forum? Let me guess--most of them are "tuners", right?

There is a reason why the 1911 is still one of the most popular platforms for handguns after nearly 100 years:

it is a GREAT design, and John Browning was a freakin' GENIUS...

There is a reason why Glock re-works their designs every 3 or 4 years.

They are still working out the bugs...

Actually, the Glock is a good firearm, and like any firearm, once you learn it's quirks, it is a very servicible gun. But I don't know if long-term durability is one of the Glock's (or ANY polymer-frame pistol's) strong point. But then again, it depends on how you define "long term". I'm 44, and "long-term reliability" to me means it will still be working when I reach my statistical terminal age--35-40 years from now.

Anyone who says the 1911 is an unreliable, out-of-date firearm has never owned, carried or used one. I suspect that the folks on that car forum who were badmouthing the 1911 are all under the age of 30, have never actually USED a firearm in a self-defense situation, and are very trendy and obsessed with "new tech" more than actually being interested in true performance, longevity, and long-term reliability...

I have fired WW-II era 1911s that saw rough service in combat, and even after nearly 60 years, they still work admirably, with all the original parts (with the exception of springs and firing pins).

The 1911 worked just fine for the US military for longer than any other sidearm used in military service (over 40 years). More competitive shooters use 1911-style guns than any other design. There are more 1911's in circulation worldwide than any other design. Gee, I wonder why?

When you find a well-used 60-year-old polymer-frame handgun that will still cycle, give me a call and we'll talk about which platform is "more reliable"...

Last edited:

tim87

its actually a truck forum...the age varies from 18 to 60 some odd years, quite many of them have firearms

not all bad mouthed the 1911 it was a mixed group

hightecrebel

As far as reliability problems...

I bought a High Standard-branded 1911 from Armscor for about $500 and haven't had any problem with it. Only issue I had at all was due to me deciding the really cheap magazines were a good idea. I know people who've bought the Springfields and have nothing but good things to say about them.

fully_armed_biker

The 1911 is a fantastic platform...I own 2, a Colt Combat Commander M1991A1 with the Series 80 trigger and a RIA plane Jane Government size 1911. I love them both and have no problems at all trusting my life to either one. That said...If you're looking for a carry gun for 'special occasions" I'd hold off on buying a 1911 right now. Next year will be 2011...I'd imagine there will be all kinds of 100th anniversary models available...

DreQo

State Researcher
How much ya wanna spend? You can get a flawlessly performing, beautiful 1911 from Rock Island Armory (made by Armscor) for less than $500. You can also get a flawlessly performing, beautiful 1911 from Ed Brown or the like for $3000 or more. Springfields are generally good 1911's, but I've found that you pay for the name a bit. That's just my personal opinion.

As far as getting a 1911, do it now. Don't buy anything else...you'll just be delaying the inevitable. I bought 3 different handguns trying to scratch that itch before I gave up and got my 1911. Now I'm satisfied.....for now, lol. You'll be getting another 1911 soon enough after the first. I would recommend getting a low priced (not low quality) platform like the Armscors or Taurus and learn the gun. You wont be as afraid to tear down and reassemble a $500 handgun as you would a $3000 one. You'll want to consider different part setups to change the grip, feel, and action of the weapon.

Trust me. Go get yerself a 1911. You'll never look back.

daddy4count

There is a reason the design has remained unchanged for 100 years... because it WORKS!

Simple, elegant, reliable, accurate, durable... other than being typically heavier (than some) and with a smaller ammo capacity (than most) there isn't a bad thing you can say about the 1911 design.

There have been some shoddy manufacturers in the past, but that is typical of "cheap" handguns regardless of design.

Anybody who tells you that a 1911 is anything but a fantastic weapon doesn't know their arse from a gun barrel... I'm not sure I would trust any advice they gave me... about a firearm, truck or directions to a Starbucks.

That being said, go out and get your hands on one. Just because it's a great weapon design does not mean that you will like it personally. Go find a shop that will rent you one and put a box of ammo through it... see for yourself.

Wiley

I've got 4 of them. Two Government models, a Commander and, an Officers or Compatct Model. They are like potato chips.

note this will not be a fulltime carry gun, kinda like a special carry gun
I don't like the sights on the gi
Just because you may not carry it all the time (you say now) when you are carrying it, you will be trusting your life to it fulltime.

IMO, when originally issued the M1911 sights were never meant to be used. In close combat, where a handgun was/is generally used, who's got time to aim? It's 'point or instinct shooting'. And the advantage to carry is that they are so small the they generally won't get hung up on anything.

Now, if you just have to have larger sights, look for a 'Mil-Spec' model with 3-dot sights, and no smaller than Commander length.

If you must have new, Rock Island Armory (RIA) brand is good, made by armscor. They stand behind their product and are relitively inexpensive. If you come across a used, but not abused, Colt M1991A1 Series 80 in the $500 or less range, grab it.

Also look at http://www.m1911.org/ . As was said, go to a range and rent one.

One of the neat things about the 1911 design it that it has been around for so long that you can take a base model and hot-rod it into something that is completely unusable for anything other than contests or just tweak to fit you. Any gunsmith worthy of the name will be able to handle any enhancements or repairs.

elixin77

1911's are a beautiful gun. They are dependable, reliable, and wicked fun to shoot. I've had mine for the past year and a 1/2, bought it used, and it has never failed me once. You do have to watch the mags though, because I have one thats about 1.5 mm too short, and its hard to rack the slide the first time (when the recoil takes over, it's fine). Other then that, I would highly recommend it.

kwikrnu

Banned
If it is going to be a "special" gun then if you can afford it get a nice one.

What about a Les Baer monolith? They just look cool especially without the serrations.

tim87

it will be special compared to my glock not special compared to other 1911s, I don't plan on buying used and customizing to much

tim87

I have narrowed it down to the ria and the springfield gi, I don't see any bad reviews of the ria but some of the springfield

45acpForMe

To 1911 or not to 1911 that is the question

The answer for many (and I do mean many) is yes!

If you like the look & size you will love the accuracy & handling. There are so many manufacturers out there that are good, if you stay in the $600+ you won't be disappointed. I am no expert but here are my ramblings.

There are differences that you can think about.

1) barrel length - you have the 6" down to the 3" barrels. Depending on where you are carrying it one may be better for you than another. I like the govt 5" length personally because I OC (so don't have to worry about CCing) and like the accuracy of the longer barrel. 1911's are also fairly thin and easily concealable if you want them to be.

2) guide rod length - the "standard" GI guide rod is short and allows you to use a spring cap which makes breaking down the gun much easier. If you choose a full length guide rod you will need to use a tool to break down the gun. I have modified all my 1911's to use GI guide rods, spring caps and even changed some springs out for higher tension springs (18lb replacing 16lb springs)

3) barrel bushing or not - others can chime in on the models that use a bull barrel and do away with the barrel bushing. Bull barrels are non-standard like a full length guide rod but less common.

4) hi capacity or standard - hicap models use double stacked magazines which increase the grip size a little (Para advertises 1/8th of an inch) while "standard" 1911's came with a 7 round single stack magazine. I prefer hicap 15+1 but also own some 7+1/8+1 models.

5) sites - get three dot or adjustable sites. Looking at those small military posts is hard enough for people with good eyesite. :) Some will argue that point shooting doesn't need any sites and I agree but I like three dot sites.

6) caliber - the 1911 was created using 45acp. I recommend that because I love 45acp. There are models available in 9mm, 40, and 38 super. Some of the smaller models use these other calibers.

7) Single Action - this is a single action gun so plan to carry it loaded, locked and cocked. Don't think you will have time to **** it or cycle the slide when a bad guy presents himself.

8) MIM vs forged parts - Some manufacturers use MIM parts which are less sturdy than forged parts. Kimber is one that comes to mind with MIM. You would have to do your research on the gun you are looking or comparing to see which uses what method.

Springfield is a good gun. I liked the better production quality of the Colt. Both shot the same. To me the perfect 1911 would be a combination of my Colt Springfield and Para. Maybe that is where Wilson, Ed Brown or other hi end guns come in. :)

Last edited:

Ruby

I love my 1911!

I totally agree with you. I love my 1911 and I carry it daily, though I can't OC all the time like I would like to. I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander, stainless steel with night sights. It is a very accurate gun and I am confident of my ability to defend myself with it.

erb

I am amateur, but I have done a lot of research. I have concluded that Ed Brown makes the best custom 1911. They're about $2500-$3000 which is pretty cheap considering their output. If you want a 'special' gun, go with Ed Brown (or Wilson).