• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TCP or LCP dilema

TheHossUSMC

I was at the gun shop the other day and was admiring the LCP. As I was chatting with the clerk there he mentioned the TCP by Taurus. I held them side by side and liked the feel of the TCP better, I also liked the bolt hold open on last round feature. I have test fired the LCP and assume the recoil and operation are similar. I want to buy an automatic pocket gun and am now torn over the two mostly because I know nothing of the track record of the TCP. Has anyone heard anything about the TCP or own one?

me812

I have about 100 rounds through my LCP and have had nary a problem. Taurus used to make junk, but their quality is supposed to have improved dramatically since the bad old days. Still, I'd get the Ruger, as they've always had a good reputation.

YoZUpZ

I have about 100 rounds through my LCP and have had nary a problem. Taurus used to make junk, but their quality is supposed to have improved dramatically since the bad old days. Still, I'd get the Ruger, as they've always had a good reputation.

I had zero problems until about 250-300 rounds... then by barrel and slide started peening to the point that I could not rack a round into the chamber. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed the problem.

100-200 rounds later, now the frame right below the feed ramp is peening, which the bullets are getting stuck on, now the gun will not cycle. I hope you have better luck than I did with my LCP... but just a heads up, I had no problems at all until all of a sudden, the gun was stuck back in the locked back position and it was impossible to unstuck it.

Magister

Its almost a toss up between the two. I have an LCP with over 1500 rounds through it and ive never had a single hiccup. On the other hand my father picked up a TCP and its going back to the factory for the 2nd time. It never functioned correctly from day 1. It is good to hear that the TCP is one of the first Taurus products (that I know of...) thats finally made in the US. It probably just confuses you more but I hope it helps somehow!

hp-hobo

I have no experience with the TCP so I have nothing good or bad to say about it.

My wife owns what we believe (according to the wholesaler and gun shop) to be the first LCP in the state of South Carolina, just a couple of days after they were released to the public. Her's is a 370 serial number gun, so it has gone back for the recall, which was a painless and quick procedure.

In the time she's had it, it's had just under 2200 rounds fired through it. From Buffalo Bore +P to Winchester white box to Wolf black box. The gun has never had a hiccup and goes bang everytime you pull the trigger.

Because of the tiny size it can be a handful and will tire you out after 100 rounds at the range. And also because of the size, short sight radius and small sights it's not incredibly accurate past seven yards. But it's a great belly gun.

But for a mouse gun that will hide anywhere (she carries it in her bra) I don't know that you'll find a better gun. I know we haven't. As always, your results may vary.

me812

In the time she's had it, it's had just under 2200 rounds fired through it. From Buffalo Bore +P to Winchester white box to Wolf black box.

FYI, the LCP is not rated for +P ammo. In fact, the manual specifically warns against it.

hp-hobo

FYI, the LCP is not rated for +P ammo. In fact, the manual specifically warns against it.
Thank you for your concern for our safety. But the manual also says it should be unloaded and locked when not in use, never to transported while loaded and that installing a Kel-Tec belt clip will make it unsafe. Warnings in manuals are written by lawyers and for the most part are for reference only.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf

We don't feed it a steady diet of +P. However, there's no denying that the +P is less marginal of a load for SD than standard .380. And it needs to be shot at least enough to proof the ammo/gun combination. Of all the rounds fired, approximately 10% have been +P. The gun is field stripped, cleaned and inspected weekly. And it's detail stripped after every range trip for cleaning, inspection and lubrication.

So far there is zero damage or unusual wear. Maybe the guys who're having problems with their's should give the +P a try.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go call my wife and tell her she'll have to unload before driving home tonight. :rolleyes:

I'd like to hear more people's thoughts on the TCP, and the new Hellcat as well.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would go with the TCP. I have had my for a couple months now. Several range trips with several different brands of ammo with no problems. I found the grip just a little more comfortable than the LCP.