• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

July 4th Birmingham OC Event

Jonathon Sometimes

Nah.

Sheriff Hale's a good guy, you should still vote for him. I don't think he had anything to do with the permit mess. It is automatically revoked if you are arrested on any charge, I think, until the matter is cleared up.

Deacon Blues

I didn't know that. I know some locales have something to that effect printed right on the permit, but mine certainly doesn't.

I've been a fan of Mike Hale for a long time, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if OC was where we parted company...

The unbelievable stupidity (not to mention wastefulness) of melting guns just makes me sick. There are horrific pictures out there of fascists destroying them by the thousands. Yeah, those are the people we should be emulating.

BTW, International Gun Destruction Day is Friday.

FedFirefighter

I could be wrong, but I think it is definately on the Sheriff for revoking your licence. Unless I am just unaware of some higher authority, or law requiring it to be revoked, he is the authority for taking it or not. It wasn't a charge of violence or weapons, sooo? Nice guy or not, I would ask him about it, or your lawyer. Good luck with everything.

Monkeytown

My permit says "Your pistol permit is void if you are arrested, on any charge."

Unfortunately, the law says "The Sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed." (13A-11-75) So, who determines what "proper" means?

In preparing this post I reviewed the Alabama Gun Laws again.....man are they screwed up. It appears that you can be turned down for a permit if you do not have "good reason to fear injury" to yourself or property. How do you prove you do have good reason?

Anyway, Jonathan, in my previous post I was not trying to call you out. Just saying in retrospect when you said "ready for tonight" that the outcome was anticipated. That's all.

For the record I am with you, I'm a 3%er too!!

MT

cowboy67

My permit says "Your pistol permit is void if you are arrested, on any charge."

It appears that you can be turned down for a permit if you do not have "good reason to fear injury" to yourself or property. How do you prove you do have good reason?MT

I grew up in Indiana. They pretty much had the same statement above. The area I grew up in was between Chicago and Gary, IN. Some pretty bad areas! Although the town I lived in was pretty nice at the time. Everyone basically put down that their reason was that the are they lived near was bad or they worked late and worked with a lot of money. Not sure if that was a true determining factor or not.

The back of my permits states..."Under and by virtue of the authority in me vested as sheriff of Lee County, Alabama I hereby authorize <insert name> to carry a handgun on or about his/her person pursuant to title 13a-11-75, code of Alabama.
Lee County given under my hand at my offics at the courthouse. This day <insert date> signed Jay Jones.

Even though it is the sheriffs responsibility for issuing/revoking you would think that Alabama would atleast have a standard form for the sheriffs to issue the permit on.

james h

WOW! Your CPL was revoked for being CHARGED w/ a Class C misdemeanor (the lowest type of misdemeanor, the same as littering 32-5-76)!

No, I think the issuing Sheriff (Hale?) owns this insane, knee jerk reaction.

SlackwareRobert

Well mine says the same thing on the back, but it is all overridden by the fronts "UNRESTRICTED"
so all those restrictions are moot till such time as my sheriff personally takes it back from me.
I haven't agreed to any such stipulations on my permit, so there is no consent to them from me.
Remember there is no signage law in AL.
They will also need to prove in court I was arrested, that I also knew I was arrested,
and that restrictions on an unrestricted license are valid. All points will not be waived by me,
and I WILL paint my middle fingernail with two letters.

Would love to hear more, but need to keep my impartiality for the jury pool selection.
Can't free the oppressed from outside the jury box.
Guess I should have worn my shiny nickle one the black couldn't be seen in the dark fireworks display.