• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from Maple Valley PD regarding firearm ordinance

Aaron1124

I contacted Maple Valley PD and the City Council last week regarding the former statement on their website, which states that firearms were not allowed in the park (the statement has now been removed)

and I received an email from Chief Bennett from Maple Valley PD

"Aaron-

We received your e-mail and are aware you will be practicing open carry, as is your legal right. There are multiple families and small children in the park for this 4th of July event. Though I am sure you will be carrying per law, it may cause alarm for some citizens or children. To that end, I have informed all of my officers of your e-mail and your intent, and they are all aware of the open carry law.

Regards,

Michelle Bennett

Chief of Police: City of Maple Valley"

So it sounds to me the officers are all aware of the Open Carry laws, but to me, it sounds like she was just informing me that some parents may be alarmed.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Though I am sure you will be carrying per law, it may cause alarm for some citizens or children. To that end, I have informed all of my officers of your e-mail and your intent, and they are all aware of the open carry law.

Sounds to me like she wants to voice some disagreement with OC and maybe put just a little counter-pressure on your conscience.

I hate such little jabs. My gun does not emit alarm waves. If any children are alarmed, the cause is false propaganda against self-defense instilled by parents and schools.

If any citizens are alarmed, it is caused by their own ideas about guns. I do not open the top of their head and pour in one cup of "alarm." They are responsible for their adoption, uninspected, of ideas contrary to basic human rights.

Phssthpok

I swear, one of these days someone is going to tell me that my sidearm 'scares' them, and I'm going to reply:

"I'm sorry...I'll take care of that right away. <looking down and shaking finger at hip> Bad gun...bad BAD gun! How many times have I told you not to project subliminal fear waves into the minds of random people passing by? If you keep this up I'm going to start leaving you at home and start carrying the stainless Kimber. Is that what you want? Is it? Well ok then... don't let it happen again.
<turning back to complainer>
There...I've given my sidearm a stern talking to, and its promised to behave from now on. Again...I apologize for its behavior....there's really no excuse for him jumping out and scaring you like that."

:p

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I swear, one of these days someone is going to tell me that my sidearm 'scares' them, and I'm going to reply:

"I'm sorry...I'll take care of that right away. <looking down and shaking finger at hip> Bad gun...bad BAD gun! How many times have I told you not to project subliminal fear waves into the minds of random people passing by? If you keep this up I'm going to start leaving you at home and start carrying the stainless Kimber. Is that what you want? Is it? Well ok then... don't let it happen again.
There...I've given my sidearm a stern talking to, and its promised to behave from now on. Again...I apologize for its behavior....there's really no excuse for him jumping out and scaring you like that."

Sounds like a great handling! If the complainer is obnoxious or hostile, it will come off as ridicule (appropriate). If the person is sincerely just voicing some nervousness without really being an attack, it will come off as light-hearted humor (if you say it with a big smile).

Of course, maybe we should all just admit that we have trained our guns to project subliminal fear waves. This might be just the ticket to really show how silly it is for complainers to point the finger at us for their own nervousness.

John Hardin

You'd better damned well have a video recorder going when you do that. :)

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
Before you read too much into her reply, you may want to know that Maple Valley contracts with the King County Sheriff's Office for their police services. KCSO and Sheriff Rahr have a pretty good reputation when it comes to OC. (just ask DEROS)

Maybe it was simply her assurance that the officers would be aware, and just a friendly heads up that some of the other folks might not be as well informed.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Let them....

I contacted Maple Valley PD and the City Council last week regarding the former statement on their website, which states that firearms were not allowed in the park (the statement has now been removed)

and I received an email from Chief Bennett from Maple Valley PD

"Aaron-

We received your e-mail and are aware you will be practicing open carry, as is your legal right. There are multiple families and small children in the park for this 4th of July event. Though I am sure you will be carrying per law, it may cause alarm for some citizens or children. To that end, I have informed all of my officers of your e-mail and your intent, and they are all aware of the open carry law.

Regards,

Michelle Bennett

So it sounds to me the officers are all aware of the Open Carry laws, but to me, it sounds like she was just informing me that some parents may be alarmed.

Let them feel alarmed.... just don't do anything to 'warrant alarm for the safety of others'.

This is an excellent opportunity to be polite, be courteous, be kind and be professional. As many of us know, there will likely be no alarmed parents, but new people introduced to open carry.

Maybe follow up after the event and state that no one was alarmed, thank you for your concern but that you do not find that many people are alarmed at all....

Aaron1124

My response

Chief Bennett,

I appreciate your curteous response to my email. I'd like to thank you, and I wish you and all officers of Maple Valley Police Department a Happy 4th of July weekend. Take care.

Respectfully,

Aaron Braun

Aaron1124

Before you read too much into her reply, you may want to know that Maple Valley contracts with the King County Sheriff's Office for their police services. KCSO and Sheriff Rahr have a pretty good reputation when it comes to OC. (just ask DEROS)

Maybe it was simply her assurance that the officers would be aware, and just a friendly heads up that some of the other folks might not be as well informed.

That's what I got out of it. She seemed to have been reassuring me that her officers are all aware of the open carry laws, and that it is my legal right, but also notifying me that I may get some grief from some people there.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
She also could be letting you know even though it is your right, if alarmed is reported there maybe issues.
Go with your tape and video recorder and other witnesses to enjoy the festivities.

Hopefully you will have a great time.

aktion

Just turn down the volume on your Hoplophobe Proximity Klaxon, it is tripped by visual recognition. Similar sound frequency as dog whistles, with sometimes similar results. It seems every firearm is equipped with this feature.