• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and the state patrol

Broondog

today i was on a small journey into town for a couple of things and happened to stop by my local mechanic's shop to drop off a tool. as i was walking up one of the guys was outside and called me over. they don't care about OC but he wanted to hip me to the fact the one of MO's finest was inside....like i didn't see the car ;).

anyway, i said thanks for the heads up but reminded him that OC is totally legal, especially where i was (small town called Bloomsdale) and went on in. the only reaction i got from the officer was a nod and a smile, nothing more. no questions, no nuthin'.

i also had no issues (like i ever do anyway) at the local gas station even though there was a Ste. Gen county Sheriff in the lot. but i did disarm when i went into the post office.

i just found it interesting that a State Boy had nothing to say. but it is the country after all.

Superlite27

Out of all entities, State Troopers are usually the least problematic. It's probably because they already know the State of Missouri's take on OC and do not concern themselves with local ordinances. Folks might complain about LEO's, but in my experience, the average Missouri State Trooper is about as professional as you can get.

Sheriff's Deputies aren't all that bad, either. Every now and then you'll get one with a hair where it doesn't belong.

It's your local flatfoot you have to worry about.

HYRYSC

Yes, agree 100%. I have been seen by several officers and don't even get an acknowledgment or anything. The only discussions that I have ever gotten in were from regular folks like me, but didn't understand how I could just "walk around like that". Most of them are just curious as to how a "normal" person can just walk around with a gun "strapped" to them without going to jail.

I had one lady in a McDonalds approach me and started scolding me telling me that people like me made her afraid to walk around in a normal place anymore. I said, "well, you don't look to scared of me to start yelling at me, I guess you should be ok."

Broondog

yeah, i don't get any guff at all out where i run but i had to relate the Trooper encounter. the closest i get to the/any city is the Festus area and nobody really has anything to say and very rarely even get a second look, LEO or otherwise.

this is how i envision it for ALL of us once full preemption gets instituted. i read the stories from y'all in the cities and am glad i don't have those problems (or live there for that matter). the country rules! and it's sooooo much easier to remember where one is (law wise) vs towns that border each other and criss-cross.

the only downside, for our cause anyway, is that we don't get the exposure out here that y'all do in the city. for that i say keep up the good work!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I had a similar experience with a Springfield PD Lieutenant. I was impressed that he addressed me so casually on my property and never said a word about it. Usually it strikes up conversation with some of them...especially if it's the DE 44 mag in a shoulder rig.

Jaysann22

That's the way it should be. ;)

Wasnt there or isnt there a bill in the Federal and State side of legislation process that prohibits county's or cities from trumping state law with statutes and ordinances?

I thought i heard something about it but it disappeared quickly. :(

cshoff

Wasnt there or isnt there a bill in the Federal and State side of legislation process that prohibits county's or cities from trumping state law with statutes and ordinances?

I thought i heard something about it but it disappeared quickly. :(

States generally have the right and authority to preempt entire fields of legislation within the state. For example, the State of Missouri has preempted all laws regarding concealed carry, but they have not preempted all laws regarding open carry. There have been efforts over the past several years to get preemption on open carry here in Missouri, but thus far, it hasn't been successful.

opencarryinmo

hwy patrol

nver have had any problems with the state, i did have one he in springfield that did not know it was legal here in greene county, he said he knew it was legal in mo but did not know about springfield, he was not even on duty, he was just shopping at wally when he saw me. and he handled it very politely. no big blow up about it, i just told him it was legal and i had checked with the police and sheriff and they had told me ok knocked my self out , ( that it was legal!!!!)