• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am Really considering......

To sell/trade or Suck it up and save

• A 1911 for a trade/sell is worth it..See comment

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Don't trade or sell the XDm...See comment

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Not a fan of either cant help you.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • All other reasons see my comment

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

zack991

I currently own a XD and a XDm both are in 9mm, I love both of these guns and I use the XDm as my carry pistol when I do armed security. I have always wanted to own a 1911 for so many years and for so many different reasons. I am no longer going to be doing armed security (Ohio sucks for this field.) and have gear I will have to sell or allow it to collect dust. I am really considering selling or trading the gear and the XDm so I can buy a 1911, I know some 1911's do not come cheap and it would be my project gun that would take time to build it the way I like it, just like my AR did. My questions to the members here is should I sell/trade my XDm to be able to get a 1911. I am just looking for some other thoughts that can help me put up the ad to sell/trade it or for support to suck it up and save all my extra spare penny's to buy my 1911 that way. My worries is to get sellers remorse that even though I may get enough for my 1911 I don't want to have seller remorse to get my dream gun. Yet it may be worth the remorse due to polymers will never have the same shelf life as a 1911....I have conflicting feelings on what to do and I am a man and cant decided.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Find a range where you can rent a 1911 and shoot it or go to one with a friend who has a 1911. Do this before you take your decision to let your XD go. It's not unusual to have seller's remorse when you have sold something while wondering if you are doing the right thing. Heck, I still wish I had a few of the guns I sold over the years.

Best of both worlds? Have both.

Porter N

I'm all for trading guns, but make sure it's what you really want. I traded my XD sc .40 for a Beretta 96 and love it - dont regret it at all. but i traded my Ruger p85 + cash for a gun a while back and really wish I could have my Ruger now.

The best bet, since you're already semi-nervous about sellers remorse, is to save your nickels and dimes and buy what you want to add to your collection. There's no such thing as "too many guns."

daddy4count

Just out of curiosity, why would you sell the XDm vs. the XD?

Also, are you talking about a 1911 in .45ACP or would you be sticking with 9mm?

I personally have owned a 1911 (Para Ordnance P-14 in .40SW) which I regret selling every day since I let it go.

I currently own a XD45 Tactical w/ thumb safety... which to me feels similar. The thumb switch in particular is a familiar thing... it is just habit to flip it up and down when drawing / holstering the gun.

There are still days when I would like to have my 1911 back and I will buy another one. It will be in .45ACP like my XD... but the 1911 frame pistol is such a beauty. You should have one for no other reason than you own an AR. Don't ask me why I think that... it just seems like a good fit. ;)

As for cost... you can get a very nice 1911 for $1200-$2000 if you want a decent Kimber or Dan Wesson. Or you can get several decent models in the same price range as the XDm.

I have never personally fired one, but a friend and retired Army Major swears by Rock Island Armory. You can pick them up new for a few hundred bucks and throw the upgrades at it that you want... like your AR. He has three of them now.

The first one has about $800 in upgrades, bringing its total close to what a mid-range Kimber might cost.

His second one has about $200 in upgrades, trigger kit, sights and something to do with the barrel bushing maybe..? This is his primary carry gun and has been for a few years. He has a newer one with no upgrades...

He also owns a Kimber and three Colts. One from his Army days, two he purchased since then.

The RIA is his favorite, just feels better to him than the others...

Michigander

Given the low capacity, poor reliability when dry or not finely (and sometimes expensively) tuned, and thumb safety to fumble over, I consider the 1911 to be a grossly outdated platform for daily defensive carry. Provided it was set up to fit my hands well, I would probably take a xd9 with fancy ammo over any single stack 1911.

If you're looking to get the 1911 for purely fun and target shooting reasons rather than as an ideal defensive gun, I think you should get it. But in terms of a truly good defensive platform, I think you should think long and hard before making that choice, particularly if it will cost you a gun you might miss, because the defensive merits of 1911's are definitely debateable.

groovedrummer

Given the low capacity, poor reliability when dry or not finely (and sometimes expensively) tuned, and thumb safety to fumble over, I consider the 1911 to be a grossly outdated platform for daily defensive carry. Provided it was set up to fit my hands well, I would probably take a xd9 with fancy ammo over any single stack 1911.

If you're looking to get the 1911 for purely fun and target shooting reasons rather than as an ideal defensive gun, I think you should get it. But in terms of a truly good defensive platform, I think you should think long and hard before making that choice, particularly if it will cost you a gun you might miss, because the defensive merits of 1911's are definitely debateable.

ya, all of the old timers, experienced police officers and EXTREMELY experienced civi shooters that carry and swear by single stack 1911s are just idiots that don't know any better *rolls eyes*

zack991

Just out of curiosity, why would you sell the XDm vs. the XD?
Well the XD is the wife's gun, and if i want to ever see the happy box again I will never sell her guns.

Also, are you talking about a 1911 in .45ACP or would you be sticking with 9mm?
No I would would get it in a 45 ACP

I personally have owned a 1911 (Para Ordnance P-14 in .40SW) which I regret selling every day since I let it go.

I currently own a XD45 Tactical w/ thumb safety... which to me feels similar. The thumb switch in particular is a familiar thing... it is just habit to flip it up and down when drawing / holstering the gun.

There are still days when I would like to have my 1911 back and I will buy another one. It will be in .45ACP like my XD... but the 1911 frame pistol is such a beauty. You should have one for no other reason than you own an AR. Don't ask me why I think that... it just seems like a good fit. ;)

As for cost... you can get a very nice 1911 for $1200-$2000 if you want a decent Kimber or Dan Wesson. Or you can get several decent models in the same price range as the XDm.

I have never personally fired one, but a friend and retired Army Major swears by Rock Island Armory. You can pick them up new for a few hundred bucks and throw the upgrades at it that you want... like your AR. He has three of them now. Yea, I was looking at them strongly and I have seen brand new High end glocks for the same price. So cheap price does not always mean cheap gun.

The first one has about $800 in upgrades, bringing its total close to what a mid-range Kimber might cost.

His second one has about $200 in upgrades, trigger kit, sights and something to do with the barrel bushing maybe..? This is his primary carry gun and has been for a few years. He has a newer one with no upgrades...

He also owns a Kimber and three Colts. One from his Army days, two he purchased since then.

The RIA is his favorite, just feels better to him than the others...

So out of curiosity...why did you buy both XD and XDm?

One is my wifes gun and I bought XDM in 9mm only because that is what I qualified with in my state exam for my OPOTA

Last edited:

opusd2

If it were me, I'd save up for a good 1911 to start with and work from there. A gun you have that is accurate is worth more than any that "could" be made into an accurate piece. I'd have seller's remorse, but that's just me and my opinion.

jay75009

i love trading guns. I buy old worn out pistols cheap, refinish/restore them, sell em for more, buy more junk, fix, sell, fix , sell.............tis how i afforded my Glocks :-D. started out with a jennings 9 , moved up to a beretta brigadier 1960's model. up to a taurus PT92, then a 745C, then to a Rock Island 1911, now i have Glocks :-D

just take a moment out though, really concider how much you enjoy your firearm, its features, ease of use, reliability. Because 90% of the time you sell or trade one and on the way home you think "well why the hell did i do that".

guns are like your children. you love them all and miss them when they are gone.

45acpForMe

If you have carried this XDm it means you must like it. You are familiar and comfortable with it. I would say save up for a 1911 while testing different 1911's at the range (rental/friends). Once you decide on which 1911 you are buying, save up and get it. If you love the 1911 so much you can always sell the XDm later. In the mean time you have a gun that is high capacity and you are comfortable with until you get comfortable with the 1911.

One thing to consider is the 1911 "platform" is customizable. Until you shoot it and break it down you probably won't know what you want. It took me a few guns to decide that I want a GI guiderod & Spring cap and extended thumb safety. The guns I had that use the full length guide rod were then modified. I already had the extended thumb safety and like it. Different manufacturers "tweak" things like Para has a different extractor. Some smaller 1911's get rid of the barrel bushing and use bull barrels. My Colt 1911 will use all the magazines I have including the Springfield Armory but the SA won't use the Colt magazines. Just be aware that there is alot that can be customized and alot that has to be taken into consideration.

I was used to the simplicity of a Sig P220 and was a bit surprised with 1911's. Many will love 1911's and the looks, longevity, thinness, accuracy, reliability make it a great gun. I just like that I can breakdown and clean my Sig in 2 minutes while it takes 5-10 minutes to breakdown and clean my 1911's. (It got quicker when I used a springcap and didn't need a tool to break them down)

Depending on what you want and handsize, there are hi-cap 1911's in 45acp. Para, SA are two that make some. I have a Para Big Hawg which is 14,15+1.

M

McX

there isn't anything like a 1911. i dream of the priviledge of owning one someday!

groovedrummer

If you have carried this XDm it means you must like it. You are familiar and comfortable with it. I would say save up for a 1911 while testing different 1911's at the range (rental/friends). Once you decide on which 1911 you are buying, save up and get it. If you love the 1911 so much you can always sell the XDm later. In the mean time you have a gun that is high capacity and you are comfortable with until you get comfortable with the 1911.

+1

Samopal

I say you should go for it if that's what you want. I'm no fan of the XDm pistol though I may be a bit biased...

useyourbow

Life is to short

You can never have to many guns. Save up and buy the 1911 you want and don't settle. I have regretted every gun I have ever sold or traded. :banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Try not to worry about seller's remorse too much... You'll regret every gun you sell. That's normal. Just breathe deep and try not to cry.

:p