Thread: Reuters says that everyone is getting a Utah non-resident permit! Do you have yours?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Reuters says that everyone is getting a Utah non-resident permit! Do you have yours?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    No I don't!
    Is there a class starting anytime soon?

Yes. I took my Utah class from Philip Van Cleave, President of VCDL, renowned firearms instructor, and all around great guy.

BUSTED!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Prosecutor: Are you sure that you did not instigate armed combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Al JaReuters
    Got a "combat mindset"? If yes to the above, you could qualify for a concealed gun permit from Utah
    Prosecutor: Are you sure that you did not instigate armed combat?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No I don't!
    Is there a class starting anytime soon?
    Why, yes there is!

We have one scheduled for July 11 and August 21 at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, Va., as well as one scheduled for August 29 at the Bass Pro Shops in Hampton, Va.

<<Never shot a gun? Never been to Utah? Got a "combat mindset"?>>

No bias there, right??!!

;-))

This is the thing, IMO, that the Antis love to hold on to... that anyone carrying is looking for trouble.

For me, it's all about having the freedom to carry in a manner that's most sensible for the time and circumstance... or not.

I see that as the subtle beauty of the 2nd Amendment--that we have that option as law-abiding protectors of our families/homes, and the BGs should have to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Funny thing is, everyone should have a combat mindset these days. I always tell my students, every waking moment is a "what if" situation.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by administrator View Post
    Yes. I took my Utah class from Philip Van Cleave, President of VCDL, renowned firearms instructor, and all around great guy.
    me too.

No bias there, right??!!

;-))

This is the thing, IMO, that the Antis love to hold on to... that anyone carrying is looking for trouble.

For me, it's all about having the freedom to carry in a manner that's most sensible for the time and circumstance... or not.

I see that as the subtle beauty of the 2nd Amendment--that we have that option as law-abiding protectors of our families/homes, and the BGs should have to wonder.
    If I lived in Maryland I'd be first in line to get a Utah permit.
    I do intend to send Jane to one of the classes for her UP just for her bragging rights.
    I suppose I would feel differently about CHP's in general if I traveled or needed to conceal for business, etc....but I don't!

Philip is a good instructor as is Proshooter.

It would be a coin toss as to which class to take as far as content and both OC when I see them. That's a big factor to me.

Proshooter has classes a little more often and is located centrally.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Funny thing is, everyone should have a combat mindset these days. I always tell my students, every waking moment is a "what if" situation.
    While I agree from a "what-if" perspective, we all know the intent of these types of articles is to djinn up feelings of fear and animus against those they perceive as the "gun nuts". That, somehow, we are the danger... completely ignoring the details of gun crimes.

The good news, though, is that I think the population at large is slowly migrating away from that mindset, and closer to a safer, more tolerant middle ground.

While I agree from a "what-if" perspective, we all know the intent of these types of articles is to djinn up feelings of fear and animus against those they perceive as the "gun nuts". That, somehow, we are the danger... completely ignoring the details of gun crimes.

The good news, though, is that I think the population at large is slowly migrating away from that mindset, and closer to a safer, more tolerant middle ground.
    That's one of the most intelligent posts I've seen for a long time.
    I have to wonder what life is like for people that have to take a fully loaded handgun with two spare mags...every time they go to the can

Virginia Open Carriers don't need no stinkin Utah permission slip

Why is this in the Virginia Forum?

To answer your question, I do not support an expanded Perks for Permittees(P4P) Program, or the concealed carry industry, I support gun RIGHTS.

I have to wonder what life is like for people that have to take a fully loaded handgun with two spare mags...every time they go to the can
    I'm sure that there is a joke in there somewhere about whether one sits or stands, but I digress.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Because the subject of the story is about those folks who are not residents of Utah and who obtain a permit from Utah. It is a very topical subject for Virginians, IMHO.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

To answer your question, I do not support an expanded Perks for Permittees(P4P) Program, or the concealed carry industry, I support gun RIGHTS.
    Well...That's a good. question Thundar and I wish I had a good answer.

Why do we discuss a shooting in MD or how long it takes to get a CHP in PWC or the best concealment holster to use?

I gave up on this being a real OC meeting place a long time ago.

To be a little more direct about Proshooter...even though he makes his living teaching CHP classes, I've never seen him CC at an event. He wears it right out there with the rest of us.

That throws a lot of creditability his way in my book. He doesn't push the P4P agenda even though it would benefit him.

I'm sure the next class Philip or Dave have will go up in a sticky so I'm willing to cut him a little slack just to keep things fair.

Well...That's a good. question Thundar and I wish I had a good answer.

I gave up on this being a real OC meeting place a long time ago.

To be a little more direct about Proshooter...even though he makes his living teaching CHP classes, I've never seen him CC at an event. He wears it right out there with the rest of us.

That throws a lot of creditability his way in my book. He doesn't push the P4P agenda even though it would benefit him.

I'm sure the next class Philip or Dave have will go up in a sticky so I'm willing to cut him a little slack just to keep things fair.
    I agree Peter. Proshooter has always been straight up. Just seemed like a cc plug and that sort of bothers me in this forum.

I agree Peter. Proshooter has always been straight up. Just seemed like a cc plug and that sort of bothers me in this forum.
    He has to compete with Vanns who has what... 90%... 95% ? of his started threads being advertisements for his classes. Hell if I remember correctly his first post here was a plug for his Utah class and he didn't get bitched at for it. Well he did, by me, and then I got fed some RAH RAH WELL I DO THIS AND I AM THIS AND YOU DON'T KNOW ME schtick and his thread got stickied as a result.

Thank you Peter, and Thundar for your kind words. The point of my post was actually not an attempt to fish for customers (although I understood the humor in Peter's first reply, and I took the opportunity to throw in a plug for our classes )

My post was more designed to open some discourse on this subject and see what everyone's thoughts were about the Utah permit and the news story. I thought it quite interesting and I was hoping to hear opinions from folks who have the Utah permit and why, and those who do not and are opposed to having the permit and why.

Peter - I wouldn't say that your description of me as someone who "makes his living teaching CHP classes" is incorrect, because the vast majority of my students do come to me for that reason, and a good showman "gives 'em what they want". I more consider myself someone who provides firearms safety training and helps you to enhance your gun carrying skills, situational awareness and knowledge. If you take that knowledge and use the certificate to apply for a concealed handgun permit, super! If you take that knowledge and practice safe handling skills with the gun that is only for home defense and you never have a negligient discharge, super!

Part of our website says that our company's goal is "to help you learn safe handling techniques for your firearms as well as learning how to take a proactive approach to increasing your personal safety". My goal is imparting knowledge - how one uses that knowledge, or the manner in which they carry and what their end goal is, is up to them. I love when entire families come to take my basic safety class. Its knowledge they seek, for themselves, their children, etc.....gives me a warm fuzzy inside.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

How long could it be before more states come up with excuses to deny reciprocity to non-resident Utah permits? Or before Utah decides to double or triple the price for non-resident permits? Or something else inevitably and drastically reduces the value of a Utah permit?

Something is bound to screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by virginiatuck View Post
    How long could it be before more states come up with excuses to deny reciprocity to non-resident Utah permits? Or before Utah decides to double or triple the price for non-resident permits? Or something else inevitably and drastically reduces the value of a Utah permit?

Something is bound to screw it up.
    Very true. Someone always screws up a good thing.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Got My Utah Permit

Have my VA and WA permits too.

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    <snip> I thought it quite interesting and I was hoping to hear opinions from folks who have the Utah permit and why, and those who do not and are opposed to having the permit and why. <snip>
    I have thought about the UP but since SC & WY have reciprocated the VA CHP it only leaves 4 states that honor the UP and not the VA CHP, 3 of which I don't travel to. GA would be the only advantage but I try to spend little time/money in that state and usually drive through on the way to FL.

So if you travel to the 4 states (WA,MN,GA,AL) it makes definite sense to get the UP.

BTW: I have heard nothing but good about ProShooter and like that he is offering classes in Tidewater these days, and tell people about them. Also some members that like to photograph bears keep giving me **** about P4P but I would still rather carry a BUG than an extra mag or two. So CC-ing the BUG works for me. I am all for constitutional carry and think we should all be working toward that in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post

BTW: I have heard nothing but good about ProShooter and like that he is offering classes in Tidewater these days, and tell people about them.
    Thank you 45 acp! We're happy to have initiated our training program with the Bass Pro in Hampton and I hope that the relationship flourishes like it has in Ashland. We have actually been conducting training classes in the Hampton Roads area for a while now, but they were/are private classes for the U.S. Navy. Kind of a "by invitation only" gig and I'm only a guest, not the host!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer