• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reuters says that everyone is getting a Utah non-resident permit! Do you have yours?

Mr H

<<Never shot a gun? Never been to Utah? Got a "combat mindset"?>>

No bias there, right??!!

;-))

This is the thing, IMO, that the Antis love to hold on to... that anyone carrying is looking for trouble.

For me, it's all about having the freedom to carry in a manner that's most sensible for the time and circumstance... or not.

I see that as the subtle beauty of the 2nd Amendment--that we have that option as law-abiding protectors of our families/homes, and the BGs should have to wonder.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
<<Never shot a gun? Never been to Utah? Got a "combat mindset"?>>

No bias there, right??!!

;-))

This is the thing, IMO, that the Antis love to hold on to... that anyone carrying is looking for trouble.

For me, it's all about having the freedom to carry in a manner that's most sensible for the time and circumstance... or not.

I see that as the subtle beauty of the 2nd Amendment--that we have that option as law-abiding protectors of our families/homes, and the BGs should have to wonder.

If I lived in Maryland I'd be first in line to get a Utah permit.
I do intend to send Jane to one of the classes for her UP just for her bragging rights.
I suppose I would feel differently about CHP's in general if I traveled or needed to conceal for business, etc....but I don't!

Philip is a good instructor as is Proshooter.

It would be a coin toss as to which class to take as far as content and both OC when I see them. That's a big factor to me.

Proshooter has classes a little more often and is located centrally.

Mr H

Funny thing is, everyone should have a combat mindset these days. I always tell my students, every waking moment is a "what if" situation.

While I agree from a "what-if" perspective, we all know the intent of these types of articles is to djinn up feelings of fear and animus against those they perceive as the "gun nuts". That, somehow, we are the danger... completely ignoring the details of gun crimes.

The good news, though, is that I think the population at large is slowly migrating away from that mindset, and closer to a safer, more tolerant middle ground.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While I agree from a "what-if" perspective, we all know the intent of these types of articles is to djinn up feelings of fear and animus against those they perceive as the "gun nuts". That, somehow, we are the danger... completely ignoring the details of gun crimes.

The good news, though, is that I think the population at large is slowly migrating away from that mindset, and closer to a safer, more tolerant middle ground.

That's one of the most intelligent posts I've seen for a long time.
I have to wonder what life is like for people that have to take a fully loaded handgun with two spare mags...every time they go to the can:banghead:

Thundar

Virginia Open Carriers don't need no stinkin Utah permission slip

Why is this in the Virginia Forum?

To answer your question, I do not support an expanded Perks for Permittees(P4P) Program, or the concealed carry industry, I support gun RIGHTS.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Why is this in the Virginia Forum?

To answer your question, I do not support an expanded Perks for Permittees(P4P) Program, or the concealed carry industry, I support gun RIGHTS.

Well...That's a good. question Thundar and I wish I had a good answer.

Why do we discuss a shooting in MD or how long it takes to get a CHP in PWC or the best concealment holster to use?

I gave up on this being a real OC meeting place a long time ago.

To be a little more direct about Proshooter...even though he makes his living teaching CHP classes, I've never seen him CC at an event. He wears it right out there with the rest of us.

That throws a lot of creditability his way in my book. He doesn't push the P4P agenda even though it would benefit him.

I'm sure the next class Philip or Dave have will go up in a sticky so I'm willing to cut him a little slack just to keep things fair.

Thundar

Well...That's a good. question Thundar and I wish I had a good answer.

I gave up on this being a real OC meeting place a long time ago.

To be a little more direct about Proshooter...even though he makes his living teaching CHP classes, I've never seen him CC at an event. He wears it right out there with the rest of us.

That throws a lot of creditability his way in my book. He doesn't push the P4P agenda even though it would benefit him.

I'm sure the next class Philip or Dave have will go up in a sticky so I'm willing to cut him a little slack just to keep things fair.

I agree Peter. Proshooter has always been straight up. Just seemed like a cc plug and that sort of bothers me in this forum.

curtiswr

I agree Peter. Proshooter has always been straight up. Just seemed like a cc plug and that sort of bothers me in this forum.

He has to compete with Vanns who has what... 90%... 95% ? of his started threads being advertisements for his classes. Hell if I remember correctly his first post here was a plug for his Utah class and he didn't get bitched at for it. Well he did, by me, and then I got fed some RAH RAH WELL I DO THIS AND I AM THIS AND YOU DON'T KNOW ME schtick and his thread got stickied as a result.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Thank you Peter, and Thundar for your kind words. The point of my post was actually not an attempt to fish for customers (although I understood the humor in Peter's first reply, and I took the opportunity to throw in a plug for our classes :))

My post was more designed to open some discourse on this subject and see what everyone's thoughts were about the Utah permit and the news story. I thought it quite interesting and I was hoping to hear opinions from folks who have the Utah permit and why, and those who do not and are opposed to having the permit and why.

Peter - I wouldn't say that your description of me as someone who "makes his living teaching CHP classes" is incorrect, because the vast majority of my students do come to me for that reason, and a good showman "gives 'em what they want". I more consider myself someone who provides firearms safety training and helps you to enhance your gun carrying skills, situational awareness and knowledge. If you take that knowledge and use the certificate to apply for a concealed handgun permit, super! If you take that knowledge and practice safe handling skills with the gun that is only for home defense and you never have a negligient discharge, super!

Part of our website says that our company's goal is "to help you learn safe handling techniques for your firearms as well as learning how to take a proactive approach to increasing your personal safety". My goal is imparting knowledge - how one uses that knowledge, or the manner in which they carry and what their end goal is, is up to them. I love when entire families come to take my basic safety class. Its knowledge they seek, for themselves, their children, etc.....gives me a warm fuzzy inside.

virginiatuck

How long could it be before more states come up with excuses to deny reciprocity to non-resident Utah permits? Or before Utah decides to double or triple the price for non-resident permits? Or something else inevitably and drastically reduces the value of a Utah permit?

Something is bound to screw it up.