• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Longmont Times - City council to vote on open carry ban tonight (June 29, 2010)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
if you live on or near Longmont, come to the meeting and speak against the open carry ban - the ban is far reaching - reaches even the city recreation center!
---

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=22542

SNIP

Publish Date: 6/29/2010

What: Longmont City Council meeting
When: 7 tonight

Where: Longmont Civic Center, 350 Kimbark St.

Information: 303-651-8649 or www.ci.longmont.co.us.

Longmont mulls banning open-carry guns

By Rachel Carter
© 2010 Longmont Times-Call

LONGMONT — City leaders tonight will consider banning the open carrying of firearms in city-owned buildings.

City manager Gordon Pedrow asked the city attorney to draft an ordinance that would make it illegal to “knowingly carry a firearm unconcealed on or about one’s person or within one’s reach while in a city-owned or city-leased building.”

The Longmont City Council is scheduled to take its first vote on the proposed ordinance tonight. The public hearing and final vote on the ordinance is scheduled for July 13.

The ordinance would ban the open carrying of guns in the city’s public buildings, such as the Civic Center, library, museum and recreation center.

. . .

Pedrow told the council earlier this month that he asked for the ordinance because it is his job to make sure city employees and customers feel safe in city buildings.

There have been some recent instances when Longmont resident Paul Tiger came to city offices wearing a sidearm, and some employees felt uncomfortable, Pedrow told the council.

Another time, Tiger attended a council meeting openly wearing his sidearm, and Pedrow had to field questions from people about whether — and why — that was allowed.

State law allows local governments to ban the open carrying of firearms in public buildings. If the council were to adopt the ordinance, signs would be posted on entrances of city-owned buildings saying the open carrying of firearms is not allowed.

. . .

Beau

I wish I was able to attend.

Pedrow states that his job is to make people feel safe, not actually be safe. The poor guy even had to waste his time answering questions about open carry.

cscitney87

"State law allows local governments to ban the open carrying of firearms in public buildings. If the council were to adopt the ordinance, signs would be posted on entrances of city-owned buildings saying the open carrying of firearms is not allowed."

That's exactly Why no municipality outside of Denver can ban open carry without posting proper signage. Period. Just Period. No if ands or buts. This includes Longmont.. Golden... Vail.. all those other obscure and outdated local laws. RMGO really needs to update their website...

Beau

The issue isn't about what they are allowed to do. It's about if they should do it. They are allowed to pass the ban just like we are allowed to protest it and give our opinion on why they shouldn't.

cscitney87

The issue isn't about what they are allowed to do. It's about if they should do it. They are allowed to pass the ban just like we are allowed to protest it and give our opinion on why they shouldn't.

No No The Issue has certainly been whether or not they were allowed to do it. There are multiple members of our Colorado forum that continue to fight, tooth and nail, to prove that Other Municipalities Outside of Denver can prohibit OC without properly posted Signage. DynamiteRabbit is one of those forum members- there are few more lurking around- you can certainly find out for yourself by reviewing one of the many "Can I OC here?" threads.

This is just another article in support of the original and correct assertion that NO Jurisdiction Outside of Denver can prohibit Open Carry without posting proper signage. If they could- they would; and So Far everybody gets the message... Only Denver can lawfully ban OC without a sign. Since posting a sign at Every public entrance to an entire city is next to impossible- our State Preemption is so ******* solid you couldn't blow a whole through it with a KRISS .45

Last edited:

cscitney87

You are completely correct, though, that an entirely different issue has arisen... Should Longmont be banning the open carry of weapons to satisfy the wants of citizens of equal stature? State or local employee, or citizen, neighbor, or brother- we are all 100% Equal and we need to respect everybody equally. Open Carry should not be banned in their city buildings. Those D-Bags.

Gunslinger

Longmont is not anti-gun, far from it. A good turnout will have the needed effect I would think. There may be some places that they ban OC--they CANNOT bad CC, but I would think an across the board ban would not be voted up. Until and unless CO passes a law making OC legal, not simply not unlawful, these situations will continue to come up. We need to kick out the democrap pieces of **** from the Governor on down this November. Then we can work on both this and removing Denver County's ban on OC by putting decent justices on the State SC.

Dynamite Rabbit

No No The Issue has certainly been whether or not they were allowed to do it. There are multiple members of our Colorado forum that continue to fight, tooth and nail, to prove that Other Municipalities Outside of Denver can prohibit OC without properly posted Signage. DynamiteRabbit is one of those forum members- there are few more lurking around- you can certainly find out for yourself by reviewing one of the many "Can I OC here?" threads.

You are absolutely mistaken that I've ever said that cities can prohibit OC. What I have said, is that some cities claim the power to prohibit OC due to their home rule charter.

The minutes from the meeting are at http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/city_council/agendas/2010/062910.htm

I don't believe there was a vote on it -- this was the first reading.

Anubis

A city ordinance stating that open carry is prohibited in certain buildings without posting all entrances is pre-empted by state law. However, the ordinance linked in #12 above includes the posting of such signs, so the ordinance does not conflict with state law.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ok, the scope has been further defined by the articles than the OP's thread title seemed to suggest.

As for the justification involving "unnerved city employees," one might think a city in Colorado could find more hardy souls.

Gunslinger

Ok, the scope has been further defined by the articles than the OP's thread title seemed to suggest.

As for the justification involving "unnerved city employees," one might think a city in Colorado could find more hardy souls.

They all moved here from Kalifornia.