• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hermosa Beach Patch - Open carry hermosa Beach litter pickup is on for July 10, 2010

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://hermosabeach.patch.com/articles/10-things-to-know-about-local-gun-laws

SNIP

10 Things to Know About Local Gun LawsHermosa Beach resident and gun rights activist Harley Green answers questions about the organization he founded and his plan to bear arms while picking up trash.
By Jacqueline Howard | Email the author | 6:37am Close new

. . .

Add Cities across the country are now taking a closer look at local gun-control laws after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that all law must adhere to an individual's right to bear arms, in a 5-to-4 decision on Monday. Community gun rights activist group South Bay Open Carry applauded the verdict.

The case, McDonald vs. City of Chicago, mirrored when the court ruled that the Second Amendment fully protects an individual's right to own guns in District of Columbia v. Heller two years ago. But with this week's new decision, the court said that strict local ordinances could be seen as unconstitutional and challenging the Second Amendment.

Currently in Hermosa Beach, residents follow the state law, which allows anybody to publicly carry an unloaded gun. Members of South Bay Open Carry plan to demonstrate this allowance by carrying unloaded weapons as they clean up trash around Hermosa Beach on July 10.

Harley Green, the organization's 24-year-old founder, met with police chief Greg Savelli last week to inform officers of the upcoming event. Green explained in an interview what the organization hopes the city and police will learn from the upcoming demonstration and his sentiments toward local gun-control laws:

Patch: Next month members of your organization plan to carry unloaded guns while picking up trash around town. Can you tell me more about this and how the event even came about?

HG: The event came about based on my and others take on the need to educate the public about responsible gun ownership and the rights all Californians have to defend themselves. Additionally, regular citizens have become frustrated with government leaders who continually infringe on law-abiding citizens rights to defend themselves.

Since open carrying of a firearm has always been legal in California it seemed like a great legal way to demonstrate our rights while easing the general public back into the notion of respecting the second amendment.

. . .

The South Bay Open Carry cleanup event will begin at 11 a.m. on the corner of 8th Street and Valley Drive, moving toward The Strand.
---
See also more news coverage at http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_15395425

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

The Daily Breeze ran a front page article on it this mmorning. However, they once again printed that open carry on the beach is illegal and wont be allowed.

Have the event organizers spoken with the chief about this and gotten an explination ?

I cant find any city or state codes that prohibit open carry on the beach.

Army

Ocean Beach (san diego) is the same. Legal carry on the boardwalk right next to the sand....just don't put a single toe on the beach. However, that was before the State and Federal park law changed...this indeed needs clarification. If the beach is a state beach/park, UOC should now be legal.

I should have Tuesday off, I'll be there if I do.

Does LAPD patrol H-Beach too? I'd love to run into them again :D

Last edited:

wewd

If the beach is considered a park, you cannot bring a firearm there by LA county ord.

17.04.620 Firearms and other weapons.
A person shall not bring into, discharge, or shoot any firearms, air gun, slingshot, or bow and arrow in any park except at areas designated for such purpose by the director. (Ord. 10729 § 7, 1973: Ord. 10309 Art. 3 § 34, 1971.)

Can't shoot any guns on the beach

17.12.410 Shooting weapons prohibited.
A person shall not discharge or shoot any firearms, air gun, slingshot or bow and arrow anywhere on a beach. (Ord. 9767 Art. 3 § 34, 1969.)

That's all I can find for now regarding guns and beaches/parks.

hgreen

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the support.
I did get clarification from the police chief, they consider it a park land since the city owns the beach in Hermosa.
So since they have a municipal code banning firearms from all parks and playgrounds they believe the beach is off limits to UOC.

So for the first event we'll be picking up garbage along the street and then along the strand right next to the beach to the pier plaza. If any of you would like to come help or just show up to support us we would really appreciate it! Get more info at our site www.southbayopencarry.org. Be sure and join our discussion list while you are there!

Ca Patriot

Hmmm, interesting.

I thought state law superceded city law and that guns were only banned in STATE parks.

Do you guys have anyone who is going to be video taping everything ? I would like to come down and check it out and video.

Did you make a determination what you are going to do abotu ID demands from the fuzz ?

hgreen

Hmmm, interesting.

I thought state law superceded city law and that guns were only banned in STATE parks.

Do you guys have anyone who is going to be video taping everything ? I would like to come down and check it out and video.

Did you make a determination what you are going to do abotu ID demands from the fuzz ?

State law does supercede city law. Anyone with cash to front legal fees to challenge this ordinance?

I don't have anyone confirmed to video tape everything, some of us will carry personal video recorders but they don't capture the entire event well. If you can come down and video the event it would be wonderful!

I'm encouraging all participants to not carry their ID so that they will have nothing to show if they are asked. Based on my interaction with the chief (yes I know everyone is skeptical about trusting what LEOs say, as they should be) it seems that he's very aware that asking for ID is not allowed. I do not expect it to happen. My personal UOC experience so far in Hermosa has been very uneventful. I've walked right by police officers and have not even been stopped for the 12031(e) check.

pullnshoot25

Not to give hope to violating the law (regardless of how asinine it may be) but the law on the books is merely an infraction, which is not an offense that demands identification. Of course, they could ID you afterwards by pulling you over when you leave in a car but that just means you have to outsmart the cops.

Harley (as well as most of the internet) is probably quite aware of my aversion to trusting any government agent, particularly local police officers. It seems that there is a significant amount of CYA on this event and that is good, but I am really not very keen on some of the amenities involved, such as giving these officers free feel-ups and (potentially) using maps that have been drawn up by the police department showing lawful carry areas. Hermosa Beach is an arms throw from LA and we ALL know how much of a friend ScrewBaca has been to gun owners and if you think that the HB chief is not at all interested in screwing over an OCer, you are in for a big surprise.

BTW, PM inbound to you, Harley.

CARRY ON!

-N8

Mike Hawk

Harley, why the no-show? Army, Mrs. Hunt & I waited around 'till about 1245 and saw no carriers whatsoever. Army was even 1/2 hour early.

hgreen

Mike Hawk

O.K., I see that now. However, the title of this thread says the 6th. Wish someone would've caught that. No biggie for me, as I'm local here, but Army sure drove a long way.

hgreen

O.K., I see that now. However, the title of this thread says the 6th. Wish someone would've caught that. No biggie for me, as I'm local here, but Army sure drove a long way.

Oh bummer, I just emailed Mike (moderator) to have them change the title.

Hope you folks can still come on the 10th!

--Harley

Army

But I did carry in Malibu when I stopped at the Jack in the box there.

Other than a tourist Swedish family staring bug-eyed at me, no-one else seemed to notice or care. Ate my burger and fries there, then got back on the PCH north.

PincheOgro1

I have to work. Well, it is a scheduled work day. Things have been slow on the weekends. The problem is I won't know "if" I'm working till early afternoon.and by the time I drive there, it will probably be over.