• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy policy on personal firearms msg dtg 4 jun 10

MSC 45ACP

Rttuzywu reuwmcs0000 1551726-uuuu--rucrnad.
Znr uuuuu
r 041726z jun 10
fm cno washington dc/n09//
to navadmin
bt
unclas
navadmin 196/10
msgid/genadmin/cno washington dc/n09/may//

subj/personal firearms//

ref/a/doc/opnav/19apr10//
ampn/opnavinst 5530.14e chap i, navy physical security and law enforcement
program.//

rmks/1. Mishaps involving personal firearms have resulted in serious injury
and death. In fy08, at least 28 acts of sailor misconduct or suicide occurred
onboard navy installations, and another 111 such incidents occurred off-base;
26 resulted in death. This message summarizes recent changes in policy
intended to prevent these tragic mishaps.

2. A recent review of firearms policy resulted in updated guidance for the
introduction, possession, and storage of personal weapons onboard navy
installations. Ref a establishes minimum registration and accountability
requirements, and directs installation commanding officers to establish a
process for the strict control and accountability of personal firearms
authorized onboard navy installations. An important change in policy is that
sailors may now store personal weapons in certain locations onboard navy
installations under carefully controlled circumstances and with the prior
written approval of the installation commanding officer.

3. Installation commanding officers may authorize the storage of properly
registered personal weapons in on-base military family housing areas
(including on-base public-private venture (ppv) housing) and in existing
armories. Personal firearms storage in other locations on-base, such as
bachelor quarters, automobiles, and work centers, is strictly prohibited.
A. Personal firearms must be stored in either a locked container, a locked
gun rack, or secured with an approved individual trigger or chamber-style gun
lock that prevents loading or firing. Ammunition must be stored in a separate
locked container.
B. Individuals storing privately-owned firearms and ammunition in on-base
military family housing (including on-base ppv housing) will ensure they are
inaccessible to unauthorized persons and minors.

4. All personal firearms approved by the installation commanding officer for
transport on a navy installation shall be transported only after installation
security has been notified, the firearms are unloaded, and they are in the
trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle has no trunk, the firearm must be
disassembled, or secured with a trigger or chamber-style lock, and stored in a
locked container. Ammunition will be transported in a separate compartment
from the one in which the firearm is stored.

5. In all cases, individuals will comply with all federal, state, and local
laws and regulations concerning firearm ownership, possession, registration,
transportation, and use. Furthermore, state license permits to carry concealed
handguns are not recognized or valid on navy installations.

6. It is imperative that all sailors who own weapons take their
responsibilities seriously and comply with ref a. Violations of the
regulations contained in ref a by military personnel may subject them to
administrative and/or disciplinary action under the uniform code of military
justice. Civilian employees may be subject to disciplinary action or
administrative action under applicable civilian personnel instructions.

7. For further clarification of navy policy on personal weapons, refer to ref
a, chapter 0306, paragraph a-h. Navy point of contact for this policy is eric
hammett, opnav n46, at (202) 433-9567 or e-mail: eric.hammett@navy.mil.

8. Vice chief sends.//
bt
nnnn

Dreamer

In the last decade, more US service members (active duty and recently discharged) have committed suicide than have been killed in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Perhaps this speaks to how our fine men and women in uniform REALLY feel about their part in this illegal, unjust, unconstitutional, and morally evil war.

More blood on the alter of greed.

ElW75

In the last decade, more US service members (active duty and recently discharged) have committed suicide than have been killed in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Perhaps this speaks to how our fine men and women in uniform REALLY feel about their part in this illegal, unjust, unconstitutional, and morally evil war.

More blood on the alter of greed.

You sir are who what Mark Twain was thinking of when he said "it is better to let people think you are an a$$hole than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

eye95

You sir are who what Mark Twain was thinking of when he said "it is better to let people think you are an [vulgarity edited out] than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Here is the correct quotation:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Either way, though, do you think that that personal insult of another poster added to the discussion? I don't.

ElW75

Thank you Eye, I apologize to you and to Dreamer. I had a moment of frustration b/c of the illegal war comment and it was improper of me to attempt to insult the individual. I do not agree with using the death of service men and women to make a political point, in my book that is improper. My response was equally improper. Apologies again.

Dreamer

You sir are who what Mark Twain was thinking of when he said "it is better to let people think you are an a$$hole than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

You may want to read up on the REAL story behind this issue, before you start throwing around accusations.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123185434

http://ptsdcombat.blogspot.com/2010/04/latest-military-combat-veteran-suicide.html

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0110/011210kp1.htm

http://www.military.com/news/article/despite-efforts-troop-suicide-rate-up.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/11/national/main6083072.shtml

http://www.army.mil/-newsreleases/2010/01/15/32986-army-releases-december-suicide-data/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mood-swings/200902/the-bell-tolls-military-suicide-in-iraq

The escalating suicide rate of active duty and recently discharged service members is largely due to the facts that our soldiers on the ground know that:

1) this war is NOT about the safety of the US but is motivated by greed, power, and an agenda of International Tyranny,

2) their "elected officials" have no concern for winning this war, and are using it as a political smokescreen to keep the American people distracted from the REAL problems at hand,

3) the VA has neither the funding or the desire to effectively address PTSD, disabling injuries, or broken families due to divorce,

4) it is almost a GUARANTEE that ANYONE who is active duty in those theaters WILL be psychologically affected (PTSD, etc) due to intense, repeated, and never-ending rotations (we make our combat troops do 2-4 MORE combat tours in this war than in ANY other war in American history), and

5) the very reason we are there is based on lies, fraud, and manufactured data supplied by a CONSERVATIVE administration, and has been continued, expanded and intensified by a LIBERAL administration, which shows that the government isn't really calling the shots, but is taking their orders from some outside "higher" power structure.

I have tremendous respect and admiration for our troops. I have worked with many fine men and women in uniform as a civilian contractor in training, research, and analysis capacities. But it breaks my heart (and disgusts me as a Citizen) that our military is being used as the private thug force for the Globalist agenda, and that they are being treated as "disposable resources" by the very government they take oaths to support.

I am disgusted by the way our active duty service members and veterans are being treated by Washington. I am ashamed as a Citizen that our "leaders" have turned their backs on our military, and are using them as "disposable resources", with complete disregard for their physical, mental, and family well-being. I am appalled by the fact that we are sacrificing hundreds of honorable men and women each year on the alter of greed, chasing ghosts who don't exist, in a country where we KNOW they do not reside. This war is one of the most ugly stains on the honor and integrity of our Republic, and I believe it is the DUTY of all Citizens to work toward bringing it to an end, for the sakes of our Soldiers, their families, and the well-being of our nation.

You can call me anything you want. The truth may hurt, but it's still the truth.

Wake up, people.

eye95

Thank you Eye, I apologize to you and to Dreamer. I had a moment of frustration b/c of the illegal war comment and it was improper of me to attempt to insult the individual. I do not agree with using the death of service men and women to make a political point, in my book that is improper. My response was equally improper. Apologies again.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thanks for manning up. My respect-o-meter just pegged.

Dreamer

Apology accepted. Thank you.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly--I do not agree with using the death of our troops to make a political point...

ESPECIALLY when the people trying to make that point are the previous and current Commanders-in-Chief, and their Globalist puppet-masters.

ElW75

I have already apologized Dreamer, lets just agree to disagree and get this post back on point before it gets pulled. While I do not agree with the latest instruction I see this as part of a much larger problem IRT Federal regulation of firearms on Government Property. I understand the force protection argument (though do not agree) and the "safety issues", but I find this to be an ill-advised policy as the very people we are trusting to know how/when to use deadly force OCONUS are not permitted to protect themselves back in the U.S. While entry controls make people feel good about lowering the likelihood of criminals getting onto post, I have to point out that the Ft. Hood shooter had a valid CAC and chose to ignore the same prohibitions on personal weapons on Post

Dreamer

I have already apologized Dreamer, lets just agree to disagree and get this post back on point before it gets pulled.

I will agree to disagree...

But I will also BEG you to read some of the articles I posted links to--MANY of which are drafted by official DOD and US government sources...

While I do not agree with the latest instruction I see this as part of a much larger problem IRT Federal regulation of firearms on Government Property. I understand the force protection argument (though do not agree) and the "safety issues", but I find this to be an ill-advised policy as the very people we are trusting to know how/when to use deadly force OCONUS are not permitted to protect themselves back in the U.S. While entry controls make people feel good about lowering the likelihood of criminals getting onto post, I have to point out that the Ft. Hood shooter had a valid CAC and chose to ignore the same prohibitions on personal weapons on Post

I am in 100% agreement with you on this one. Ft. Hood was a tragedy that should have never occurred.

We are in a war, whether congress has declared it or not. In times of war, our troops are at risk no matter WHERE they are on the planet. To force them to go about their daily business unarmed, just because they are stationed in CONUS is immoral an irresponsible.

This policy just reinforces my assertion that those who are "really pulling the strings" view our fine men and women in uniform as "disposable resources", and is an insult to the training, honor, and discipline of our troops.

MSC 45ACP

Is it possible to keep this thread ON TOPIC and AWAY from your personal political agenda? There are places to vent your personal frustration about the government (both Dems and Conservatives). I posted this message for folks to see what the Navy's policy is on firearms aboard base. The other 4 services have similar policies. Civilians may or may not be familiar with these policies.

I posted it so EVERYONE could read about it and comment about WEAPONS ON BASE. I'm a firm believer that if more people were authorized to carry on base, things like Ft Hood could have been prevented. Realistically, it may have not been completely PREVENTED, but certainly the body count could have been much lower...

OCing in uniform? That's an interesting subject to be explored. CCing? Maybe.

Lets try to keep this one OUT of politics. If you insist on making it POLITICAL, how about starting your OWN thread on YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS?

Thank you;
msc