• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Independence Day

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Independence Day

They were a small band of men, largely untrained and in the beginning, without real leadership. Yet they chose to face the most powerful military force on earth. They overcame all odds. They triumphed against unbelievable hardship. They sacrificed all. And they won.

How could they have done this? How could they have fought a war and even with having lost most of the battles, win?

They did it because they had a dream and they believed that this dream was bigger than themselves and worth dying for. They did it because their idea that the common man could rise to uncommon heights was worth dying for. They did it because they firmly believed that their destiny was theirs and theirs alone, and it too was worth dying for. They did it to pass on to their progeny that which they themselves had not know; freedom, liberty, and a “government of the people, by the people, and for the people”.

Because they did what they did. Because they mortgaged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor, we have an absolute obligation to preserve their grand plan and their vision of the nation they built with their blood. To do less is to do a terrible dishonor to their memory. We must sanctify their sacrifices with our assurance that their efforts were not made in vain. We must renew that which they began, for our time and our children’s time. For this is the United States of America; God did indeed shed his light on thee.

For this Fourth of July and every Fourth of July, show the flag with pride and humility, and pause to remember. Remember Concord and Valley Forge and Yorktown, Antietam and Cold Harbor and Gettysburg. Remember the Western Front and the Ardennes, Pearl Harbor and Normandy and Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal. Remember Pork Chop Hill and Ichcon, Quang Tre and Hamburger Hill and Chu Li. Remember what the price of freedom has cost. That it has always been paid in patriots’ blood. Remember that their “uncommon valor was a common virtue”. Remember those who gave up all of their tomorrows so that you might have today.

It is good and proper that we do this. For by doing so, by remembering and by honoring the ultimate sacrifice of our benefactors, we are less likely to send our nation’s finest in harm’s way. To forget these lessons is to suffer fools, for fools will surely rush in when memories dim.

So fly your flag high and proud. Fire your fireworks and have a time of it. Give thanks for the gifts you have received, the blessings you enjoy, the freedoms you cherish. After all, why shouldn’t we do these things?

We are Americans.

SB, 1994

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just a small nit to pick over "They were a small band of men, largely untrained and in the beginning, without real leadership."

All of the colonies had local militias, and they mustered for training and drill regularly. There were fines for failing to show up, and for failing to secure the listed equipment within the listed time period. This held true across all of the colonies. They campaigned against the Indians, the French, and the Spanish, as well as, in some cases, pirates.

The local militia was of company size (perhaps 100 men). They were not trained or experienced in set-piece battles where regiments or divisions or entire armies faced off against each other. But they got training pretty much as soon as they could all be assembled into what you could call an army.

None of this is meant to take away from the rest of your post. My intent is, rather, to highlight that those who fought for freedom from oppression and tyranny were willing to go up against considerable odds, and were generally sucessful in spite of the difference in strength and supporting arms.

As for when, where and why we send our troops - the exercise of military might is merely the ultimate exercise of diplomacy where talk has failed to win your position. Go tell our elected representatives how you want to exercise diplomacy.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just a small nit to pick over "They were a small band of men, largely untrained and in the beginning, without real leadership."

All of the colonies had local militias, and they mustered for training and drill regularly. There were fines for failing to show up, and for failing to secure the listed equipment within the listed time period. This held true across all of the colonies. They campaigned against the Indians, the French, and the Spanish, as well as, in some cases, pirates.

The local militia was of company size (perhaps 100 men). They were not trained or experienced in set-piece battles where regiments or divisions or entire armies faced off against each other. But they got training pretty much as soon as they could all be assembled into what you could call an army.

None of this is meant to take away from the rest of your post. My intent is, rather, to highlight that those who fought for freedom from oppression and tyranny were willing to go up against considerable odds, and were generally sucessful in spite of the difference in strength and supporting arms.

As for when, where and why we send our troops - the exercise of military might is merely the ultimate exercise of diplomacy where talk has failed to win your position. Go tell our elected representatives how you want to exercise diplomacy.

stay safe.

Yeah, I know. But the thrust was intended to show the disparity between the colonies and England's professional army which at the time was the most powerful on earth.

Besides, I was trying for a touch of poetic license.

But thanks for your input. And enjoy this evening's VCDL celebrations.

wylde007

They also did it because the French Navy saved their bacon.

If it hadn't been for Adm. Comte De Grasse, we'd still be answering to Governor Cornwallis.

daddy4count

... and one of the first laws they broke was that of firearm prohibition... muskets stockpiled in secret, their storage and use hidden from the RED ARMY until they were needed.

If we do not learn from our past, are we truly doomed to repeat it? An out of control government, tax disparity, rights being trampled. I sure would like to avoid another bloody revolution, if at all possible...

:/

erb

How many people let off a couple rounds for the 4th?

Here in Detroit, on New Years, it sounds like a warzone. It's too bad they shoot up instead of in the dirt or something to catch the bullets.

eye95

How many people let off a couple rounds for the 4th?

Here in Detroit, on New Years, it sounds like a warzone. It's too bad they shoot up instead of in the dirt or something to catch the bullets.

Firing bullets, except at known targets, is dangerous. However, firing straight up, unless there is someone or something above you that putting a hole in it would be a shame, is surprisingly not as dangerous as some think. The bullet will achieve terminal velocity on the way down. At terminal velocity, the bullet is not very dangerous.

erb

Firing bullets, except at known targets, is dangerous. However, firing straight up, unless there is someone or something above you that putting a hole in it would be a shame, is surprisingly not as dangerous as some think. The bullet will achieve terminal velocity on the way down. At terminal velocity, the bullet is not very dangerous.

Hmm, I just looked that up. Seems as tho it is likely to be non-lethal, but potentially dangerous.

I remember at my "CCW" class, the cop said that was so stupid to shoot in the air, it can kill and that there were reports of people's cars and BBQs with bullet holes... Then he said, they would do ballistics test and if that gun was ever used, the ballistics would match up and you catch a case.

rodbender

4TH of July?

I wonder, why do we not call the 4th of July "Independence Day" anymore? We do not call Christmas the 25th of December, nor New Year's Day the 1st of January. Most of us have been conditioned to call it the "4th of July". What I want to propose is that we return to calling the 4th of July what it actually is, "Independence Day".

When I read the title of this thread I was delighted that someone else still called it "Independece Day", just to be disheartened to find the term "4th of July" spread throughout the post. We really need to quit giving into the politically correct crowd. We need to be politically incorrect if we want to take our country back to what it is suppose to be. To be perfectly honest, I say "To &%@@ with politically correct, I want to return to the days where one was responsible for ones own actions. That includes as Paul told the Corinthans; If a man will not work, neither shall he eat.

simmonsjoe

It is true a bullet that is shot straight up, perfectly vertical, with no wind whatsoever, will simply tumble back to earth with very little force. ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO DO.

It only takes a SMALL angle of deflection, or the slightest breeze, in order to make the bullet arc. If the bullet arcs, it
REMAINS SPIN STABILIZED, AND therefor DEADLY as terminal velocity is much higher than a tumbling bullet.

This is one of those 'academia' questions. Technically on paper, yea it is harmless and simple. Off-paper, its nearly impossible to duplicate outside of a controlled environment.

Sure there is always the chance you'll get lucky, but reality is the vast majority of bullets shot into the air are lethal all the way down.

NEVER EVER SHOOT IN THE AIR IN A POPULATED AREA

If it is unpopulated, like the desert or something, its not dangerous to yourself because your in the tiny little tumble-down zone.
Obviously this does not apply to non-stabilized projectiles like shot pellets.

If you have to shoot your gun for the 4th, well, aim down in the grass.

Last edited:

Jack House

To be perfectly honest, I say "To &%@@ with politically correct, I want to return to the days where one was responsible for ones own actions. That includes as Paul told the Corinthans; If a man will not work, neither shall he eat.
Oh the irony. :lol: