Thread: Walmart employees *can* OC while off the clock.

Walmart employees *can* OC while off the clock.

I just read it in their policies. It specifically said that "Employees may not carry or have a firearm on their possession, or in their vehicle, if their vehicle is in company property, at anytime that the employee is on his or her way to work, or while present at work."

I work in Asset Protection at the Supercenter Walmart, and the management confirmed with me that I can still carry while off the clock. I posted this, because I believe there was a misconception about it a while back.

Aaron, you work at the Walmart in Covington?

I didn't interpret what you quoted that way. "Present at work" is not the same as on duty to me. I can be present at work and not on duty.

Also, when things go sideways, what is written down matters, not what was said.

Are those the exact words from the policy?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Aaron, you work at the Walmart in Covington?
    Supercenter in Federal Way.

No, it wasn't exact. I should have added in "From what I remember", but the direct sentence from the policy was even more specific, stating that it only applied when the associate is present at work, on the clock, or on his or her way to work, ie from the parking lot. I have the policy in their internet system. I'll have to copy it down when I go back tomorrow, but it was very specific.

that's where i get ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Supercenter in Federal Way.

No, it wasn't exact. I should have added in "From what I remember", but the direct sentence from the policy was even more specific, stating that it only applied when the associate is present at work, on the clock, or on his or her way to work, ie from the parking lot. I have the policy in their internet system. I'll have to copy it down when I go back tomorrow, but it was very specific.
    Uniformed or 'clandestine'?

I regularlly am in that one for ammo...
    Live Free or Die!

I read this somewhere else recently as well, either on this forum or another. I believe it is a relatively recent change in policy.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post

Clandestine.. lol. Actually, I'm having a difficult time making the switch from a uniformed position, to the plain clothes position. I've been told numerous times that I walk the floor like a police officer. It's only my 2nd day of this phase of training. I definitely have a lot of work to do to become more "blended in".

It was probably you who the other AP associate was talking about when he mentioned that a man with a firearm was in about a week or two ago.

Clandestine.. lol. Actually, I'm having a difficult time making the switch from a uniformed position, to the plain clothes position. I've been told numerous times that I walk the floor like a police officer. It's only my 2nd day of this phase of training. I definitely have a lot of work to do to become more "blended in".
    Having been in retail for most of my adult life..I can pick you guys out easily. Even the good ones.

Shop, talk, and ignore the bandito....
    Live Free or Die!

Having been in retail for most of my adult life..I can pick you guys out easily. Even the good ones.

Shop, talk, and ignore the bandito....

I can certainly see why! Some of the tactics used seem, rather.. well, obvious. Everything from peering through clothes, to pretending to look at products such as make up, while observing a suspicious person - It's also quite obvious when the person's hand is browsing through a product as if they're checking it out, while their eyes are on a person.

Any suggestions on how to become more covert? lol

yes...

shop, talk, ignore the subject (bandito)...

drop things and pick them up....

It is like acting, you need to become a character...and you could be several different ones during the day....
    Live Free or Die!

yes...

shop, talk, ignore the subject (bandito)...

drop things and pick them up....

It is like acting, you need to become a character...and you could be several different ones during the day....
    Sounds simple enough. I've been catching myself everytime I go in to my "authority" mode. Today I was having a pretend phone conversation while observing someone in the socks area, whom I was told was a "professional thief"

Employees may not carry or have a firearm ... at anytime that the employee is on his or her way to work
    How the hell do they think they have any right to dictate that?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hardin View Post
    The statement included details, meaning from their vehicle, if it's parked on company property, and the employee was on his way to work, as in, clocking in for paid duties. I'll copy it down tomorrow.

I can certainly see why! Some of the tactics used seem, rather.. well, obvious. Everything from peering through clothes, to pretending to look at products such as make up, while observing a suspicious person - It's also quite obvious when the person's hand is browsing through a product as if they're checking it out, while their eyes are on a person.

Any suggestions on how to become more covert? lol

Yes, Heres your training bulliten on how to dress. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

I've come across just about everyone, already... Even in the short length of time I've been there.. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by John Hardin View Post
    With your help and help from others on this forum, I want to write up and get introduced a bill that will allow employees to lock up their weapon in a private vehicle on company property without any recourse from their employer. Many other states(AL, FL, OK, TX, KY, IN, off the top of my head) have taken this stance, it's time for Washington to step up.

Here's the policy, word for word:

"Associates shall not carry or have in their possession, any firearm, loaded or unloaded, authentic or artificial, while on company property, including vehicles if on company property, or when attending any company meeting or function. This will include individuals who have a license to carry a concealed weapon in states that have concealed hand gun laws. This policy is only applicable to all associates who are coming to or leaving work for company business."

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    With your help and help from others on this forum, I want to write up and get introduced a bill that will allow employees to lock up their weapon in a private vehicle on company property without any recourse from their employer. Many other states(AL, FL, OK, TX, KY, IN, off the top of my head) have taken this stance, it's time for Washington to step up.
    I've had this up for about three years:
    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/wa_gun_laws_car.txt
    Comments solicited.

Here's the policy, word for word:

"Associates shall not carry or have in their possession, any firearm, loaded or unloaded, authentic or artificial, while on company property, including vehicles if on company property, or when attending any company meeting or function. This will include individuals who have a license to carry a concealed weapon in states that have concealed hand gun laws. This policy is only applicable to all associates who are coming to or leaving work for company business."
    Okay, that removes my objection. In the original version it sounded like they were prohibiting carry while commuting to or from work regardless of where you park.

I've had this up for about three years:
    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/wa_gun_laws_car.txt
    Comments solicited.
    I forgot all about that write-up. I think we should look at some of the other states and see if we can ensure the wording is strong enough to pass muster.