• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart employees *can* OC while off the clock.

Aaron1124

I just read it in their policies. It specifically said that "Employees may not carry or have a firearm on their possession, or in their vehicle, if their vehicle is in company property, at anytime that the employee is on his or her way to work, or while present at work."

I work in Asset Protection at the Supercenter Walmart, and the management confirmed with me that I can still carry while off the clock. I posted this, because I believe there was a misconception about it a while back.

deanf

I didn't interpret what you quoted that way. "Present at work" is not the same as on duty to me. I can be present at work and not on duty.

Also, when things go sideways, what is written down matters, not what was said.

Are those the exact words from the policy?

Aaron1124

Aaron, you work at the Walmart in Covington?

Supercenter in Federal Way.

No, it wasn't exact. I should have added in "From what I remember", but the direct sentence from the policy was even more specific, stating that it only applied when the associate is present at work, on the clock, or on his or her way to work, ie from the parking lot. I have the policy in their internet system. I'll have to copy it down when I go back tomorrow, but it was very specific.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
that's where i get ammo...

Supercenter in Federal Way.

No, it wasn't exact. I should have added in "From what I remember", but the direct sentence from the policy was even more specific, stating that it only applied when the associate is present at work, on the clock, or on his or her way to work, ie from the parking lot. I have the policy in their internet system. I'll have to copy it down when I go back tomorrow, but it was very specific.

Uniformed or 'clandestine'?

I regularlly am in that one for ammo...

Aaron1124

Uniformed or 'clandestine'?

I regularlly am in that one for ammo...

Clandestine.. lol. Actually, I'm having a difficult time making the switch from a uniformed position, to the plain clothes position. I've been told numerous times that I walk the floor like a police officer. It's only my 2nd day of this phase of training. I definitely have a lot of work to do to become more "blended in".

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Clandestine.. lol. Actually, I'm having a difficult time making the switch from a uniformed position, to the plain clothes position. I've been told numerous times that I walk the floor like a police officer. It's only my 2nd day of this phase of training. I definitely have a lot of work to do to become more "blended in".

Having been in retail for most of my adult life..I can pick you guys out easily. Even the good ones.

Shop, talk, and ignore the bandito....

Aaron1124

Having been in retail for most of my adult life..I can pick you guys out easily. Even the good ones.

Shop, talk, and ignore the bandito....

I can certainly see why! Some of the tactics used seem, rather.. well, obvious. Everything from peering through clothes, to pretending to look at products such as make up, while observing a suspicious person - It's also quite obvious when the person's hand is browsing through a product as if they're checking it out, while their eyes are on a person.

Any suggestions on how to become more covert? lol

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
yes...

shop, talk, ignore the subject (bandito)...

drop things and pick them up....

It is like acting, you need to become a character...and you could be several different ones during the day....

Aaron1124

yes...

shop, talk, ignore the subject (bandito)...

drop things and pick them up....

It is like acting, you need to become a character...and you could be several different ones during the day....

Sounds simple enough. I've been catching myself everytime I go in to my "authority" mode. Today I was having a pretend phone conversation while observing someone in the socks area, whom I was told was a "professional thief"

amzbrady

I can certainly see why! Some of the tactics used seem, rather.. well, obvious. Everything from peering through clothes, to pretending to look at products such as make up, while observing a suspicious person - It's also quite obvious when the person's hand is browsing through a product as if they're checking it out, while their eyes are on a person.

Any suggestions on how to become more covert? lol

Yes, Heres your training bulliten on how to dress. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

Bill Starks

State Researcher
How the hell do they think they have any right to dictate that?

With your help and help from others on this forum, I want to write up and get introduced a bill that will allow employees to lock up their weapon in a private vehicle on company property without any recourse from their employer. Many other states(AL, FL, OK, TX, KY, IN, off the top of my head) have taken this stance, it's time for Washington to step up.

Aaron1124

Here's the policy, word for word:

"Associates shall not carry or have in their possession, any firearm, loaded or unloaded, authentic or artificial, while on company property, including vehicles if on company property, or when attending any company meeting or function. This will include individuals who have a license to carry a concealed weapon in states that have concealed hand gun laws. This policy is only applicable to all associates who are coming to or leaving work for company business."

John Hardin

With your help and help from others on this forum, I want to write up and get introduced a bill that will allow employees to lock up their weapon in a private vehicle on company property without any recourse from their employer. Many other states(AL, FL, OK, TX, KY, IN, off the top of my head) have taken this stance, it's time for Washington to step up.

I've had this up for about three years:
http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/wa_gun_laws_car.txt
Comments solicited.

John Hardin

Here's the policy, word for word:

"Associates shall not carry or have in their possession, any firearm, loaded or unloaded, authentic or artificial, while on company property, including vehicles if on company property, or when attending any company meeting or function. This will include individuals who have a license to carry a concealed weapon in states that have concealed hand gun laws. This policy is only applicable to all associates who are coming to or leaving work for company business."

Okay, that removes my objection. In the original version it sounded like they were prohibiting carry while commuting to or from work regardless of where you park.