Thread: Husband comes to wife's rescue during robbery

High Point, North Carolina, United States

Husband comes to wife's rescue during robbery

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=7526795

MOORE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Moore County deputies say a convenience store holdup turned into a shootout between the alleged robbers and a store clerk's husband.

Related Photos

Store shootout leaves three wounded

View all 22 photos

It happened at the Exxon Stop at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Camp Easter Road in the Lakeview Community - just south of Vass, N.C - a little before 10:30 Monday night.

Deputies say clerk Grace Kelly - who is in her 70s - was closing the store for the night when several men walked in and tried to rob it. Kelly's husband - 78-year-old Angus Kelly - was in the parking lot waiting for his wife and came to her aid with a shotgun.

Moore County Sheriff Lane Carter told ABC11 Angus Kelly fired on the robbers hitting one in the face. In the resulting gunfight, both Kelly and his wife were wounded.

"Saw 'em go into the store with firearms and attempt to rob the store. That's when he challenged them, and the shootout happened," said Carter.

Grace Kelly was the first to call 911.

"I've got three gunmen," she pleaded with the dispatcher. "Hurry!"

Angus Kelly was listed in stable condition at UNC Hospitals. Grace Kelly was treated and released from Moore Regional Hospital for a gunshot wound to the arm. Despite the wound, she was able to drive to Chapel Hill to be with her husband who underwent surgery Tuesday morning.

Sheriff Carter said his deputies used surveillance video from the store to help identify suspects in the attempted robbery.

After a two hour search of the area, 17-year-old Randy Joel Williams of 350 Shaw Ave., Southern Pines N.C. was found in a wooded area about a half mile from the shooting. He had a gunshot wound to the face. He was taken to Moore Regional Hospital where was listed in critical condition after surgery.

Demarcus Dennison, 18, of Polkton in Anson County and 20-year-old Leroy Medley of Southern Pines were also arrested. They're each charged with two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, and first degree kidnapping.

Both were in the Moore County Detention Center under a $250,000 bond.

Deputies were searching for one more suspect who wasn't named and said more arrests were expected.

Carter said the men were part of a crime spree that spanned the state. They allegedly committed at least one robbery in Charlotte and another in Moore County.

"They have been violent in the other ones. We're not sure about one of them, but they did assault the patrons of a business," said Carter.

Regular store customers were stunned by the news that the Kellys were hurt in an attempted robbery.

"I can't imagine having to be in that situation, ever having to defend my wife knowing that someone could die. It's really, it makes you think twice, you know?" offered Randy Federmack.

"Everybody knows Grace, you know? You can't come here without seeing her, can't talk about it without someone knowing Grace. A shame!" he continued.

Chris Neal, owner of the Short Stop said Kelly has worked for the store for more than 12 years.

"Grace has an extreme dedication and loyalty to her employer. She wanted to make sure the store could reopen. I wish I had more employees just like her, he said.

I'm glad they're ok. And maybe now Grace will get a gun and learn how to use it. Next time the hubby might not be so handy.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Nice! Hopefully the guy's warning didn't get him shot, sounds like he only got round out. I hope it would have been legal to just shoot them without warning, for the safety of the innocent.

shotgun round to the face... dang! sounds like he was loaded with birdshot. That guy is going to be reminded every day he looks into the mirror how stupid it was to go on that robbery spree... if he ends up surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by YoZUpZ View Post
    shotgun round to the face... dang! sounds like he was loaded with birdshot. That guy is going to be reminded every day he looks into the mirror how stupid it was to go on that robbery spree... if he ends up surviving.
    Good chance he won't see anything when he looks in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    Good chance he won't see anything when he looks in the mirror.
    He can put his fingertips up to it and read the mess like Braille.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoaster View Post
    He can put his fingertips up to it and read the mess like Braille.
    Damn dude. He just got his face shot off, no need to be so harsh.

I live about 5 min. from this Exxon. They've caught all suspects, and they will be charged with murder. Mr. Angus Kelly died from his wounds over the past weekend. Sad, sad story as this station is located in a very rural area and although part of Exxon, was run just like a small mom and pop.

Damn dude. He just got his face shot off, no need to be so harsh.
    Perhaps next time he won't rob a store.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Face shot off and slowly died

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    Perhaps next time he won't rob a store.
    He got everything coming to him, maybe more. It is time for compassion.

Redacted. misread who died.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 07-14-2010 at 11:58 PM.

He got everything coming to him, maybe more. It is time for compassion.
    For the husband who just died but not for the other pieces of sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    For the husband who just died but not for the other pieces of sh!t.
    correct. I thought the guy shot in the face died. My bad.
    Last edited by simmonsjoe; 07-14-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Regular Member American Traditional Citizens (ACT)'s Avatar
    Dang.. +1 for crime on this one.

-1 for good guys... :~(

A great man

What better definition of a good husband that he would be willing to stand in defence of his woman even unto death. This guy was 78 years old and died like a man, guns blazing! I seriously doubt he regretted it for a moment.
    Last edited by redreed; 07-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Terrible thing about the death of the man. Too bad he didn't have 00 buck in his shotgun, The criminal would have no head left.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the ol'-timer getting the worst of it. Hope the kids get what's coming to 'em.

I feel so sorry for Mrs. Kelly.
    Her husband was a hero. He knew he only had a single-shot weapon against 3 robbers, but tried to help her anyway.
    Why did he wait for them to fire first?!?!? Wish he'd done things a little differently; maybe it'd be one (or more) of the criminals who's dead, & him alive to play with the grandkids.