• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Husband comes to wife's rescue during robbery

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=7526795

MOORE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Moore County deputies say a convenience store holdup turned into a shootout between the alleged robbers and a store clerk's husband.

Related Photos

Store shootout leaves three wounded

View all 22 photos

It happened at the Exxon Stop at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Camp Easter Road in the Lakeview Community - just south of Vass, N.C - a little before 10:30 Monday night.

Deputies say clerk Grace Kelly - who is in her 70s - was closing the store for the night when several men walked in and tried to rob it. Kelly's husband - 78-year-old Angus Kelly - was in the parking lot waiting for his wife and came to her aid with a shotgun.

Moore County Sheriff Lane Carter told ABC11 Angus Kelly fired on the robbers hitting one in the face. In the resulting gunfight, both Kelly and his wife were wounded.

"Saw 'em go into the store with firearms and attempt to rob the store. That's when he challenged them, and the shootout happened," said Carter.

Grace Kelly was the first to call 911.

"I've got three gunmen," she pleaded with the dispatcher. "Hurry!"

Angus Kelly was listed in stable condition at UNC Hospitals. Grace Kelly was treated and released from Moore Regional Hospital for a gunshot wound to the arm. Despite the wound, she was able to drive to Chapel Hill to be with her husband who underwent surgery Tuesday morning.

Sheriff Carter said his deputies used surveillance video from the store to help identify suspects in the attempted robbery.

After a two hour search of the area, 17-year-old Randy Joel Williams of 350 Shaw Ave., Southern Pines N.C. was found in a wooded area about a half mile from the shooting. He had a gunshot wound to the face. He was taken to Moore Regional Hospital where was listed in critical condition after surgery.

Demarcus Dennison, 18, of Polkton in Anson County and 20-year-old Leroy Medley of Southern Pines were also arrested. They're each charged with two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, and first degree kidnapping.

Both were in the Moore County Detention Center under a $250,000 bond.

Deputies were searching for one more suspect who wasn't named and said more arrests were expected.

Carter said the men were part of a crime spree that spanned the state. They allegedly committed at least one robbery in Charlotte and another in Moore County.

"They have been violent in the other ones. We're not sure about one of them, but they did assault the patrons of a business," said Carter.

Regular store customers were stunned by the news that the Kellys were hurt in an attempted robbery.

"I can't imagine having to be in that situation, ever having to defend my wife knowing that someone could die. It's really, it makes you think twice, you know?" offered Randy Federmack.

"Everybody knows Grace, you know? You can't come here without seeing her, can't talk about it without someone knowing Grace. A shame!" he continued.

Chris Neal, owner of the Short Stop said Kelly has worked for the store for more than 12 years.

"Grace has an extreme dedication and loyalty to her employer. She wanted to make sure the store could reopen. I wish I had more employees just like her, he said.

erb

Nice! Hopefully the guy's warning didn't get him shot, sounds like he only got round out. I hope it would have been legal to just shoot them without warning, for the safety of the innocent.

YoZUpZ

shotgun round to the face... dang! sounds like he was loaded with birdshot. That guy is going to be reminded every day he looks into the mirror how stupid it was to go on that robbery spree... if he ends up surviving.

Blake

I live about 5 min. from this Exxon. They've caught all suspects, and they will be charged with murder. Mr. Angus Kelly died from his wounds over the past weekend. Sad, sad story as this station is located in a very rural area and although part of Exxon, was run just like a small mom and pop.

redreed

A great man

What better definition of a good husband that he would be willing to stand in defence of his woman even unto death. This guy was 78 years old and died like a man, guns blazing! I seriously doubt he regretted it for a moment.

Last edited:

MKEgal

I feel so sorry for Mrs. Kelly.
Her husband was a hero. He knew he only had a single-shot weapon against 3 robbers, but tried to help her anyway.
Why did he wait for them to fire first?!?!? Wish he'd done things a little differently; maybe it'd be one (or more) of the criminals who's dead, & him alive to play with the grandkids.