• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO has Glock stolen from vehicle while visiting Va Beach

2a4all

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-stolen-gun-vbjune,0,5664905.story

A police officer on vacation in Virginia Beach is now a crime victim.

Thieves stole the officer's gun from his car. Now the neighborhood is taking action to get the stolen gun off the street.

Shirley Luddy saw a piece of trash in her yard Sunday morning. She went to clean up the mess, but found a lot more.

Follow NewsChannel 3 on Twitter

"As I'm picking up by the ditch saw what looked like a badge to me and a holster, empty," Luddy said.

The items belonged to a Delaware policeman who was visiting his stepfather, Lowell Tucker's house.

The officer left his department-issued gun in his car.

Around 3:30 a.m. Sunday someone broke into the car and took the gun. As the criminal fled a shot was fired in a neighbor's yard.

"The bullet casing was found in this area here," Tucker said.

With the gun in the wrong hands, Tucker worries another shooting could pop up around the neighborhood. He emailed NewsChannel 3 to help him find the missing service weapon.

"We just want the gun back off the streets," Tucker said.

Neighbors say their block of Langston Road has seen a string of items being stolen from cars.

This spring someone stole a GPS from Melissa Lawrence's car. She said she is appalled that the break-ins have escalated.

"Apparently they didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber and when they shot off. It could have gone into a house through a window," Lawrence said.

Tucker is taking action to get the gun off the street. He's putting flyers all across the neighborhood and in area community centers, hoping that someone comes to collect their reward by turning in the gun.

"We just really want to get the gun off the street. It's one thing to steal a radio or a GPS but this is way past that," Tucker said.

Tucker has put a $250 reward on the black Glock 22. He hopes to get his stepson's service weapon off the streets.

If you have seen the gun please call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

TFred

"As I'm picking up by the ditch saw what looked like a badge to me and a holster, empty," Luddy said.
And here I always thought criminals didn't use holsters because they either couldn't afford them, or didn't want to take the time to steal one to go with when they stole the gun. Now we see they just plain old don't want them!

TFred

MSC 45ACP

More evidence that some OFF DUTY COPS aren't responsible enough to keep their duty weapons when they're off duty.

WHY in the world would this knucklehead think it would be "OK" to leave a firearm in an unoccupied vehicle for more than a few minutes???

If civilians can be held responsible for something that happens with their stolen firearm, an LEO certainly should!

WTF was this guy THINKING?????

Stuff like this REALLY CHAPS MY @$$ !!!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
More evidence that some OFF DUTY COPS aren't responsible enough to keep their duty weapons when they're off duty.

WHY in the world would this knucklehead think it would be "OK" to leave a firearm in an unoccupied vehicle for more than a few minutes???

If civilians can be held responsible for something that happens with their stolen firearm, an LEO certainly should!

WTF was this guy THINKING?????

Stuff like this REALLY CHAPS MY @$$ !!!!!

This is a good example to use with the leave it in the car people.

Riverdance

Locked in car

His gun was locked in the car. Story doesn't tell us where or how. He's from out of state, so what would you have done?

a. Travel without it?
b. Stuff it down your swimming trunks and carry it on the beach?
c. Turn it in to VA Beach police for the duration of your beach day

wylde007

His gun was locked in the car.
According to the interview they conducted on the news I have one major hole to punch in your "theory":

The car was UNlocked. Read that - UN.

A career enforcer NEGLIGENTLY left his service weapon in an unsecured vehicle. A small part of me hopes someone is killed with it. Preferably unbadged thug in a drug-deal-gone-bad scenario.

Mr H

His gun was locked in the car. Story doesn't tell us where or how.

Without picking too many nits...

The story (as posted) does not seem to indicate the car was locked. The only thing that is close is the term "broke into" the vehicle.

I'm starting to think that some sort of hard-mounted lockbox in the back of the vehicle would be a good deal.

Hopefully they can lift some prints from the holster and reclaim the weapon.

wylde007

The story (as posted) does not seem to indicate the car was locked. The only thing that is close is the term "broke into" the vehicle.
See above. Five minutes prior.
Hopefully they can lift some prints from the holster and reclaim the weapon.
According to a friend of mine in the forensics division in VB... unlikely.

Prints come off of smooth, non-porous surfaces. Glass, polished metal, etc.

I'm not saying "no way", I'm just saying...

NovaCop

See above. Five minutes prior.According to a friend of mine in the forensics division in VB... unlikely.

Prints come off of smooth, non-porous surfaces. Glass, polished metal, etc.

I'm not saying "no way", I'm just saying...

What poor judgment, he should know better. I'm sure he has been written up at work, and there will be consequences for him (as there should). Visiting a beach from out of town might have put him in a tough spot on locations to keep his firearm, but he should have thought of that before he left.

Wylde, I'm not too sure I would hope someone gets killed with the weapon!?!?! I think that might be a little overboard thinking to support your non-LEO bias. Guns get stolen daily from unattended cars, but that won't make the news. I hope they find the weapon, and I also hope thugs continue to get killed (although thugs= job security).

It's unlikely they will be able to get prints from the holster unless maybe it's a smooth serpa. More likely they will focus in on the car for prints.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A small part of me hopes someone is killed with it. Preferably unbadged thug in a drug-deal-gone-bad scenario.

That's a pretty rough thing to say Wylde.

I'd rather a lot of people get killed with it.....IN NEW YORK CITY:lol:

Then Bloomy can set up stings in Delaware.

Riverdance

gun in car

According to the interview they conducted on the news I have one major hole to punch in your "theory":

The car was UNlocked. Read that - UN.

A career enforcer NEGLIGENTLY left his service weapon in an unsecured vehicle. A small part of me hopes someone is killed with it. Preferably unbadged thug in a drug-deal-gone-bad scenario.

The written story only said "The officer left his department-issued gun in his car." I'll take your word for it that it was unlocked. That does certainly change things. Maybe I'm wrong, but the previous post implied to me that the poster had a problem with people even locking a gun in a car, so hence my question. And it was just a question, so what is the "theory' do think I have?

wylde007

Wylde, I'm not too sure I would hope someone gets killed with the weapon!?!?!
Call it hyperbole.
I think that might be a little overboard thinking to support your non-LEO bias. Guns get stolen daily from unattended cars, but that won't make the news.
No, but this is an off-duty officer who was patently NEGLIGENT with his duty weapon. It needs to be broadcast far and wide that enforcers are just as fallible (if not moreso) as other citizens.
I hope they find the weapon, and I also hope thugs continue to get killed (although thugs= job security).
I find that last part curious. If "thugs=job security" then there would be no necessity in ENFORCING laws on other citizens would there?
It's unlikely they will be able to get prints from the holster unless maybe it's a smooth serpa. More likely they will focus in on the car for prints.
I think I essentially implied same above. And even a "smooth" SERPA would be questionable, at best, based on my interaction with the aforementioned forensics officer.

The written story only said "The officer left his department-issued gun in his car."
And I said the interview conducted informed that the vehicle was unlocked and unattended. You theorized options to secure the weapon in a locked vehicle, whereas the actual situation involved an unlocked vehicle.

Simple.
That's what I get for slow typing, I suppose!!
Yeah. Tighten up.;)

Thundar

You Guys are Hypocrites!!

You guys are damn hypocrites!

This guy lost one gun, just one to a dirtbag thief and you guys are all over him.

If we counted all of the guns you guys lost in negligent Boating Accidents, we would have hundreds of unaccounted for guns.

In reality I feel for this Deleware cop. Had a gun stolen from me. Nothing worse than knowing your gun is now in the hands of a criminal.

wylde007

If we counted all of the guns you guys lost in negligent Boating Accidents, we would have hundreds of unaccounted for guns.
I resent that.

It's not my fault that the boat caught fire, burned to the waterline and sank beyond the continental shelf with all my guns aboard.

:lol:

ODA 226

You guys are damn hypocrites!

This guy lost one gun, just one to a dirtbag thief and you guys are all over him.

In reality I feel for this Deleware cop. Had a gun stolen from me. Nothing worse than knowing your gun is now in the hands of a criminal.

I guess I've lost at least 30-35 weapons in recent boating accidents! LOL! At least 30,000 rounds of ammo too! ;)

I don't feel for the cop at all. When I was a LEO my weapon or at least, a weapon, was required to be attached to my body at all times. If the Sheriff caught us without a weapon while off duty, we were docked two days pay. The cop should have known better.

I had a shotgun stolen from me when my apartment in Va. Beach was broken into in 1983. I'm still pissed off about it to this day. It was never recovered.

I recently found out that my wife has developed the habit of leaving her revolver in her car while she's working. I'll use this incident to reinforce that one should always have physical control of his or her weapon wherever one travels.

Riverdance

I recently found out that my wife has developed the habit of leaving her revolver in her car while she's working. I'll use this incident to reinforce that one should always have physical control of his or her weapon wherever one travels.

Can we assume she leaves it in the car because her employer would not allow it in the workplace? If so, for her and others like her, do you prefer they go to and from work unarmed, or do you propose something else?

Just aksing

wylde007

Can we assume she leaves it in the car because her employer would not allow it in the workplace?
As is the case with my employer.

It's getting even harder now that I'm riding the motorcycle to work. I need a much more deep-cover concealment holster... or another review of company "policy".

ElW75

Nothing worse than knowing your gun is now in the hands of a criminal.

Agreed, I had a Sig stolen from my place a few months back, worst feeling in the world was walking into my place, realizing the TV was gone, going to my night stand and seeing my range bag was missing. Even worse feeling was waiting for 30+ minutes for the cops to arrive and not knowing if the d-bags were going to come back for seconds in possession of my gun.