• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO has Glock stolen from vehicle while visiting Va Beach

ODA 226

Can we assume she leaves it in the car because her employer would not allow it in the workplace? If so, for her and others like her, do you prefer they go to and from work unarmed, or do you propose something else?

Just aksing

Her employers doesn't have a policy for or against weapons in the workplace. She is afraid that someone else will find out she carries. I , on the other hand am forced to go unarmed to work because I work on a Federal installation.

Infidel

"Tucker has put a $250 reward on the black Glock 22. He hopes to get his stepson's service weapon off the streets."

Right...turn in the gun for the reward, then get arrested for stolen property!

Honest, I'm turning it in for a friend of mine!

t33j

Dreamer

In NC, almost ALL the handguns that are reported stolen are stolen from automobiles. In part, I think this is because of our "vehicular open carry" laws, and people just get stupid and lazy and leave their guns sitting on the floor or the seat instead of putting them in the trunk (out of sight), or getting a portable safe.

Most car break-ins are crimes of opportunity and temptation. A car is unattended in an unsecure location, and some scumbag walks by and sees something tempting (GPS unit, cell phone, laptop, handgun, etc) and all it takes is a second to check the doors (people still leave their cars unlocked in public?!?), or under 10 seconds to smash a side window and snatch stuff from inside...

Out of sight, out of mind, when it comes to valuables in your unattended vehicle. If a BG sees a car that LOOKS empty in the passenger compartment, he's not going to take the risk of smashing a window, popping the trunk, walking around back and looking--that takes WAY too long. But if you've got a $300 Nuvi on the dashboard, and a Glock on the floor, you're just ASKING for some scumbag to smash a window and snatch the loot.

This cop was vacationing at the ocean,with a gun that is waterproof, and is touted as being pretty much impervious to even saltwater. No excuse not to carry it...

But it could have been worse. He could have been a Delaware State Trooper--they carry Sig 229s. At least all he lost was a Glock... ;)

MSC 45ACP

Update

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-stolen-gun-vbjune,0,5664905.story

A police officer on vacation in Virginia Beach is now a crime victim.

Thieves stole the officer's gun from his car. Now the neighborhood is taking action to get the stolen gun off the street.

Shirley Luddy saw a piece of trash in her yard Sunday morning. She went to clean up the mess, but found a lot more.

Follow NewsChannel 3 on Twitter

"As I'm picking up by the ditch saw what looked like a badge to me and a holster, empty," Luddy said.

The items belonged to a Delaware policeman who was visiting his stepfather, Lowell Tucker's house.

The officer left his department-issued gun in his car.

Around 3:30 a.m. Sunday someone broke into the car and took the gun. As the criminal fled a shot was fired in a neighbor's yard.

"The bullet casing was found in this area here," Tucker said.

With the gun in the wrong hands, Tucker worries another shooting could pop up around the neighborhood. He emailed NewsChannel 3 to help him find the missing service weapon.

"We just want the gun back off the streets," Tucker said.

Neighbors say their block of Langston Road has seen a string of items being stolen from cars.

This spring someone stole a GPS from Melissa Lawrence's car. She said she is appalled that the break-ins have escalated.

"Apparently they didn't know there was a bullet in the chamber and when they shot off. It could have gone into a house through a window," Lawrence said.

Tucker is taking action to get the gun off the street. He's putting flyers all across the neighborhood and in area community centers, hoping that someone comes to collect their reward by turning in the gun.

"We just really want to get the gun off the street. It's one thing to steal a radio or a GPS but this is way past that," Tucker said.

Tucker has put a $250 reward on the black Glock 22. He hopes to get his stepson's service weapon off the streets.

If you have seen the gun please call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

=========================================================

Two Virginia Beach teenagers have been charged in the theft and sale of an off-duty police officer's gun.

Virginia Beach police say the officer was visiting from out of state when his service weapon, holster and badge were stolen from his vehicle parked in front of a residence on June 26.

Police say 19-year-old John Sobran allegedly stole the gun and sold it. Sobran was arrested Thursday and charged with grand larceny and other counts, while 19-year-old Gary King was charged with receiving a stolen firearm and removing or altering its serial number.

The suspects were taken to the Virginia Beach Correctional Center. It wasn't immediately known whether Sobran or King had attorneys.

TFred

Nice. I wonder if the second schmuck even knew he was buying a cop's gun, and along with it a TON of extra heat? Guess them's the risks of buying off the street...

I wonder what it sold for?

TFred

2a4all

Nice. I wonder if the second schmuck even knew he was buying a cop's gun, and along with it a TON of extra heat? Guess them's the risks of buying off the street...

I wonder what it sold for?

TFred

And here it is! Proof positive that the Gun Show Loophole is non-existent! And criminals don't buy/sell their guns there.