Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1911 story

My 1911 story

I have loved the 1911 ever since I could remember. It's like love at first sight...
    When I got my CPL (21yo), I decided to go for comfort and got a Kahr P45. It's the lightest .45 I could find.
    After time, I evolved in a few areas (like how I carry) and recently decided I need a real gun - a 1911.
    I didn't do enough research and bought a Kimber Raptor II Pro for $1300...
    The day after, I went to the range. There was a guy there that let me shoot his Kobra Special Forces with laser grips and a 1lbs trigger. I never shot so well before in my life! But that really made me feel horrible for getting the Kimber. I wanted the Raptor because it was all stainless, slide and frame. I noticed the mainspring housing and thought it was just an odd metal (I was too excited to think straight I guess). THE KIMBER HAS A PLASTIC MAINSPRING HOUSING! JUNK! FML

My next gun will be a Kobra Carry by Ed Brown. I feel it is the best 1911 available. The guns are made by only a few people, it's family owned and operated and they preserve quality to the fullest by making all the parts themselves. They only put out 500 guns a year as opposed to Wilson with 4 times that (it came down to Ed Brown or Wilson).
    I went to the gun store to hold the Kobra Carry. I had it in my hand for about 20min... the slide was so smooth (noticable diff from the Kimber), grip was perfect, 4.25" barrel (Kimber is 4"), bushing (Kimber bushingless, bushing allows toolless field strip) AND it felt lighter!
    Normally I would just spend the $2500 on it and make it up somehow, but I have a house to deal with and I'm unemployed (technically). I hate waiting...
    Last edited by erb; 06-30-2010 at 01:38 AM.

That really is a great price on a low production pistol like that...

Good luck, hope you're able to swing it sooner rather than later... it must suck to have buyers remorse over a Kimber, LOL

f*(king plastic man....

Well if you're looking to get rid of the Kimber...

Not really. I was looking at the grand raptor for a bit but eventually decided against it. Don't need 2 fullsize Kimber 1911s.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    Well if you're looking to get rid of the Kimber...

Not really. I was looking at the grand raptor for a bit but eventually decided against it. Don't need 2 fullsize Kimber 1911s.
    The Raptor II PRO is the officer's model with a 4" barrel.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/product...pro_raptor_II/

I have an Ed Brown that is 10 years old or so, one of Ed's true customs. Back then they were around $3200.00 if memory serves me right, it is by far and away the slickest 1911 pistol I own. Buy a Brown and don't look back if you want a fine 1911. To be honest, I don't carry the Brown much though, it is simply to nice a pistol to carry day in and day out and knock it about.

For every day I generally carry a Colt 1911 5" that has been slicked up and will do everything the EB will for self defense and is more than adaquate for bouncing tin cans out to 50 yards. I'll carry one of my Wilson Combat's fairly regularly in a 4" gun when I want somthing a little smaller.

But I agree with you that the Ed Brown's are one of the slickest 1911's out there. You can spend more but I don't think you'd get any more pistol for the money. There is a reason that many of the custom makers and smiths use Ed Brown parts. One word; QUALITY.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by erb View Post
    The Raptor II PRO is the officer's model with a 4" barrel.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/product...pro_raptor_II/
    The grand raptor is not
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

My 911 Story - In a Nutshell - DO NOT BUY THE TAURUS PT 1911!

Should have spent $300 more and bought the Kimber rather than the Taurus!

Bad extractor and NUMEROUS failure to feed problems. Totally unreliable!

Local gunsmith/dealer will NOT carry or work on Taurus firearms because of inconsistent quality. He has had to send too many back and loses money.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post

Local gunsmith/dealer will NOT carry or work on Taurus firearms because of inconsistent quality. He has had to send too many back and loses money.
    I think I know the dealer you are talking about. Is that VA Arms? I came there 2 years ago with the question about Taurus vs Springfield GI or Mil-spec (my budget was $500-$600) and Bernie told me to not even think about Taurus 1911 and that he wont carry it because it's such a POS. It wasn't the brand issue, because he does sell Taurus revolvers (I bought one from him myself) and says they are fine guns. It's specifically Taurus 1911 he is so against.

He told me I can get the SA GI if I wanted a mil-spec gun (as of WWII mil-spec) and if I was lucky enough to catch one or if I wanted a loaded 1911 without hassle, up my budget to $700 and get a Kimber. That's exactly what I did and he sold me a basic Kimber Custom II for $705.

Has some FTF/FTE issues on first 200 rounds (probably one FTF/FTE every other mag) - which is expected and even stated in the manual and then I had only 1 or 2 FTF in the next 300 rounds. Manual says FTE/FTF are supposed to go away after 500-600 rounds, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaingun81 View Post
    I think I know the dealer you are talking about. Is that VA Arms? I came there 2 years ago with the question about Taurus vs Springfield GI or Mil-spec (my budget was $500-$600) and Bernie told me to not even think about Taurus 1911 and that he wont carry it because it's such a POS. It wasn't the brand issue, because he does sell Taurus revolvers (I bought one from him myself) and says they are fine guns. It's specifically Taurus 1911 he is so against.

He told me I can get the SA GI if I wanted a mil-spec gun (as of WWII mil-spec) and if I was lucky enough to catch one or if I wanted a loaded 1911 without hassle, up my budget to $700 and get a Kimber. That's exactly what I did and he sold me a basic Kimber Custom II for $705.

Has some FTF/FTE issues on first 200 rounds (probably one FTF/FTE every other mag) - which is expected and even stated in the manual and then I had only 1 or 2 FTF in the next 300 rounds. Manual says FTE/FTF are supposed to go away after 500-600 rounds, so it's all good.
    The only issue I've had pre 500 rounds with my Raptor II Pro was the slide didn't go all the way forward (happened twice). Just smack the back of the slide and she locks in.

No, It Was Not VA Arms

No Chaingun81, It was not VA Arms but a shop in "Old-Town" Manassas. It is only open certain times during the week; I think his main business is gunsmithing. He seems to know what he is talking about.

Bernie recommended him. I have bought several guns from VA Arms; they are very helpful and offer excellent pricing. Whenever I go in there, it is packed with customers but someone is right there to help.

I bought the Taurus from some dealer at the Dale City Gun Show and paid cash. Once I get the extractor fixed it will be a nice gun. It is VERY accurate.

Thumbs up The GREAT 1911-A1

While in the U.S.ARMY I was working on the Pistol Ranges while waiting for the DRILL INSTRUCTOR ACADEMY to begin another class. I used the .45 extensively each and every day. I instructed the trainees and young Lieutenants. I had become very proficient with the firearm by the time I had to leave for DRILL INSTRUCTOR TRAINING. I actually fired EXPERT for real many times after that, it really helped. Needless to say I have 3 of them, one by SPRINGFIELD, ROCK ISLAND, and a CUSTOM SPRINGFIELD with a three inch barrel and 6 cartridge magazine. The ROCK ISLAND, is from the PHILLAPINES but is very good and very acurate-the firearm was built to GOVT. SPECS.
    Last edited by Cowboy_Rick; 07-02-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add to

I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding why all y'all are so intent on M1911's ? And the expense of a Kimber for a piece of untrustworthy junk is just beyond me. I know each to their own and all but when you've run out of ammo and have to change magazines I'm still shooting my XD45 with what you started out with left. And at 495$ a pop I could buy four of them what you pay for one of the others. Just me sayin' it.
    Last edited by KansasMustang; 07-04-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo

If I thought capacity was an issue, I'd get an extended mag.

I like to feel the steel in my hands.

TRIED AND TRUE

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meusoc.htm

Thumbs up The 1911-A1 A Simple Design POWERFUL PROJECTILE

The Magazine Capacity may be a Plus, but do remember that there can be many problems that arise and a "Cleared Firearm" may be able to correct the problem. I have used the 1911-A1 in many bad circumstances and have relied upon the firearm in various instances. At 230gr, .452, and vast amounts of Kinetic Energy building up on the projectile versus the 9mm, I'll take the 1911-A1 any day even if it holds only 7 rounds whereas the 9mm holds 14 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding why all y'all are so intent on M1911's ? And the expense of a Kimber for a piece of untrustworthy junk is just beyond me. I know each to their own and all but when you've run out of ammo and have to change magazines I'm still shooting my ZD45 with what you started out with left. And at 495$ a pop I could buy four of them what you pay for one of the others. Just me sayin' it.

What untrustworthy junk are you referring to? Other than a few individual pistol problems Kimber makes a quality firearm. Just for a little clarification most Kimbers go for 800 to 1200. There may be a reason they are double the price of your ZD45 (Whatever in the hell that is).

Can you back it up or are ya just sayin it?

Steve

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post

I have a PT1911. The bluing is pretty high friction. The slide/frame fit is tighter than people give it credit for. I had a few issues with FTF when the gun was unlubricated/dirty. This was exasturbated when the recoil spring wore out very prematurely. I Replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 17.5# (stock is 14#). Haven't had a FTF in 1000~ rounds since. Even let it get dry and dirty still feeds. even feeds wolf ammo. So you can wish you'd spent $300 dollars and mope.... Or you can spend $12 dollars and buy a spring. Helps even more if you have a dremel, you can polish the feed ramp up for free. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Kimber

This is my first time posting so hello and I started to oc about a month ago and now as soon as my pants go on I have my pistol... Now I have a very new Kimber Stainless Target 2 which I put the heaver spring package in and Crimson Trace grips. and only have put about 600 rounds through it so far but have had no problems with it at all, One thing is its not a .45acp its a 10mm. but if I can not hit something in the first nine shots then I have a problem, also I have two backup mags (I know a little over kill but what the heck) any way the 1911 browning design is one of the best in the world and is tried on more battlefields then Im sure I even know and is almost 100 years old and not much if any change on the original.

My two cents good night.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by erb View Post
    If I thought capacity was an issue, I'd get an extended mag.

I like to feel the steel in my hands.

TRIED AND TRUE

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meusoc.htm
    Not just capacity, but in the case of Kimber and some others RELIABILITY. As per some you take part of a statement out of context and answer only the one part. And yes, I can back up reliability problems in Kimbers. As to this statement from .45ACP
    "What untrustworthy junk are you referring to? Other than a few individual pistol problems Kimber makes a quality firearm. Just for a little clarification most Kimbers go for 800 to 1200. There may be a reason they are double the price of your ZD45 (Whatever in the hell that is)."
    Ever heard of a typo?? Mr. Perfect?? Yeah the reason a Kimber is twice the cost of a Springfield Armory XD45 is the name. Like when I was breeding horses, the cowboys always told me they don't ride the papers. A good weapon is a good one, a bad one is just that also.
    And YEAH, I'm still sayin' it. I've put thousands of rounds downrange from M1911A1's. Carried one for 25 years US Army, in the Tank Corps. I know a good piece when I squeeze em off, and a Kimber just ISN'T. I was not badmouthing M1911's in whole, just Kimbers. You could give me one, then I'd take it and trade it in without ever opening the box and trade it for 2 XD45's, Steve.
    Last edited by KansasMustang; 07-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Not just capacity, but in the case of Kimber and some others RELIABILITY. As per some you take part of a statement out of context and answer only the one part. And yes, I can back up reliability problems in Kimbers. As to this statement from .45ACP
    "What untrustworthy junk are you referring to? Other than a few individual pistol problems Kimber makes a quality firearm. Just for a little clarification most Kimbers go for 800 to 1200. There may be a reason they are double the price of your ZD45 (Whatever in the hell that is)."
    Ever heard of a typo?? Mr. Perfect?? Yeah the reason a Kimber is twice the cost of a Springfield Armory XD45 is the name. Like when I was breeding horses, the cowboys always told me they don't ride the papers. A good weapon is a good one, a bad one is just that also.
    And YEAH, I'm still sayin' it. I've put thousands of rounds downrange from M1911A1's. Carried one for 25 years US Army, in the Tank Corps. I know a good piece when I squeeze em off, and a Kimber just ISN'T. I was not badmouthing M1911's in whole, just Kimbers. You could give me one, then I'd take it and trade it in without ever opening the box and trade it for 2 XD45's, Steve.

Not to be unkind, but you still ramble on with unsubstantiated statements. I took nothing out of context regarding your statements, nor did I consider your comments to be against 1911’s in general. Your comment “Untrustworthy Junk” regarding Kimbers did give me pause and when called on it you provided more anecdotal opinion not fact.

Yea, I have heard of a typo, but in my defense I thought you owned a ZD45, I do not keep up with the flavor of the month in firearms…..Sorry. I have read good things about the XD45 but nothing that would lead me to think they any more reliable than any number of pistols on the market..not just Kimbers. Just for edification, I own just 1 Kimber, so don’t think I’m Kimber fan boy.

So at the end, You’re still just stating opinion, not fact backed up by evidence.

Steve

[QUOTE=erb;1296904Normally I would just spend the $2500 on it and make it up somehow, but I have a house to deal with and I'm unemployed (technically). I hate waiting...[/QUOTE]

ERB, If you don't want to wait, check the used market for Ed Brown's, I have seen some good deals with several lightly used EB's at 500 to 1000 less than the shop prices. I would not get worked up about a 1 lb trigger, in my opinion 1 lbs is too light for carry, a great target trigger, but if you every wind up in court over a shoot, you'll be hard pressed to justify a trigger that light to a jury of non shooting peers.

Steve

Cool My 1911 Story - Springfied Armory Champion Operator (4")

My, my, my.... where to start.....?

This weapon is a tack-driver, I ran three mags (21/rds) through an ICE-Q target, 15/rds in 5x, 6/rds in 5 from 7yards (21ft) out.

Moved target further down-range (at/about 15yards) slightly different results (21/rds; 7/rds in 5x, 8/rds in 5 and 6 outside, but still in put-down/damage zone - chalk up to "user-error" and nothing to do with the weapon).

The above was all GA Arms FMJ's....

Then move to Hornady TAP and Speer Gold Dots (230gr and +p); different feel from 7yrds, similar accuracy (therefore, the mag's for carry will be alternating rounds of both).

Switched out the wood grips for Hogue finger grooves (I have large hands, Hogue's have treated me well and are on all my handguns - special Thanks for Bernie/VAC for ordering).

Order four (4) sets of holsters (Desantis with thumb-break, Nick Matthews open OWB, Crossbreed SuperTuck - full-size, and Haugen Speed Combo - holster, dbl-mag, and belt as a package) - still waiting on holsters to "debut" the S/A-1911 Champion Operator; this weapon deserves a nice "ride" befitting of its quality.

It will take a whole lot to move me away from the tried, tested and true SIG P226 (its parked right beside me as a I type this message) and it will more than likely be my daily carry, but that 1911 is a VERY sweet weapon.

That's my 1911 story, and I am sticking with it.... (dammit...!!!)....
    Last edited by jadedone4; 07-05-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    Not to be unkind, but you still ramble on with unsubstantiated statements. I took nothing out of context regarding your statements, nor did I consider your comments to be against 1911’s in general. Your comment “Untrustworthy Junk” regarding Kimbers did give me pause and when called on it you provided more anecdotal opinion not fact.

Yea, I have heard of a typo, but in my defense I thought you owned a ZD45, I do not keep up with the flavor of the month in firearms…..Sorry. I have read good things about the XD45 but nothing that would lead me to think they any more reliable than any number of pistols on the market..not just Kimbers. Just for edification, I own just 1 Kimber, so don’t think I’m Kimber fan boy.

So at the end, You’re still just stating opinion, not fact backed up by evidence.

Steve
    Hard evidence I really can't give you, other than when I was in buying my XD there was 2 fella's trading their Kimbers in for an XD. They told me the dang things would have more fail to load and fail to extract then any weapon they'd ever seen. That's all the hard evidence I needed. I believe in tried and true also. I've fired 700 rounds at least from my XD and it has never had a failure. You just jumped too quick and I didn't look hard enough to find my typo before I posted. And, were you calling me a boy? or was that you saying you're a Kimber fan boy? Cuz I'm a veteran, a land owner, and a Grandfather and hardly consider myself a boy. Your apology will be duly noted. And at the end,,I consider that word of mouth all the evidence I need.

^^^ That's all the evidence you needed???

I'm willing to bet he meant "fanboy" and not "fan, boy".

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the full size 1911 Kobra. The Kobra Carry felt lighter than my Kimber Raptor II Pro, so I expect the Kobra to be only slightly heavier than the Raptor.

Hard evidence I really can't give you, other than when I was in buying my XD there was 2 fella's trading their Kimbers in for an XD. They told me the dang things would have more fail to load and fail to extract then any weapon they'd ever seen. That's all the hard evidence I needed. I believe in tried and true also. I've fired 700 rounds at least from my XD and it has never had a failure. And at the end,,I consider that word of mouth all the evidence I need.
    Did you bother to find out what was causing the FTF's or FTE's? There are numerous thing ranging from poorly loaded ammo, grip (limp wristing) or cases in FTE’s that come to mind when people complain of FTF’s or FTE’s. Not all problems are caused by the gun. Had the extractors been looked at or maybe tuned? Or were they Kimber Eclipse, if I remember correctly this was a model with an external extractor that had problems with FTE’s, but they have not been in production for four or five years. Again, hard evidence is based upon fact not opinion or perception, both of which you cite in your posts.

You just jumped too quick and I didn't look hard enough to find my typo before I posted. And, were you calling me a boy? or was that you saying you're a Kimber fan boy? Cuz I'm a veteran, a land owner, and a Grandfather and hardly consider myself a boy. Your apology will be duly noted..
    Not sure where you are headed with this but it is evident that you failed to read my post and punctuation completely before you responded. I would suggest you take deep breath and re read my post. And just for a little clarification, interpretation of your typo’s is not my responsibility, in the future, I would suggest that you use spell check and edit the post before hitting the submit button.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast