• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 1911 story

erb

I have loved the 1911 ever since I could remember. It's like love at first sight...
When I got my CPL (21yo), I decided to go for comfort and got a Kahr P45. It's the lightest .45 I could find.
After time, I evolved in a few areas (like how I carry) and recently decided I need a real gun - a 1911.
I didn't do enough research and bought a Kimber Raptor II Pro for $1300...
The day after, I went to the range. There was a guy there that let me shoot his Kobra Special Forces with laser grips and a 1lbs trigger. I never shot so well before in my life! But that really made me feel horrible for getting the Kimber. I wanted the Raptor because it was all stainless, slide and frame. I noticed the mainspring housing and thought it was just an odd metal (I was too excited to think straight I guess). THE KIMBER HAS A PLASTIC MAINSPRING HOUSING! JUNK! FML

My next gun will be a Kobra Carry by Ed Brown. I feel it is the best 1911 available. The guns are made by only a few people, it's family owned and operated and they preserve quality to the fullest by making all the parts themselves. They only put out 500 guns a year as opposed to Wilson with 4 times that (it came down to Ed Brown or Wilson).
I went to the gun store to hold the Kobra Carry. I had it in my hand for about 20min... the slide was so smooth (noticable diff from the Kimber), grip was perfect, 4.25" barrel (Kimber is 4"), bushing (Kimber bushingless, bushing allows toolless field strip) AND it felt lighter!
Normally I would just spend the $2500 on it and make it up somehow, but I have a house to deal with and I'm unemployed (technically). I hate waiting...

Last edited:

daddy4count

That really is a great price on a low production pistol like that...

Good luck, hope you're able to swing it sooner rather than later... it must suck to have buyers remorse over a Kimber, LOL

t33j

Well if you're looking to get rid of the Kimber...:rolleyes:

Not really. I was looking at the grand raptor for a bit but eventually decided against it. Don't need 2 fullsize Kimber 1911s.

.45acp

I have an Ed Brown that is 10 years old or so, one of Ed's true customs. Back then they were around $3200.00 if memory serves me right, it is by far and away the slickest 1911 pistol I own. Buy a Brown and don't look back if you want a fine 1911. To be honest, I don't carry the Brown much though, it is simply to nice a pistol to carry day in and day out and knock it about.

For every day I generally carry a Colt 1911 5" that has been slicked up and will do everything the EB will for self defense and is more than adaquate for bouncing tin cans out to 50 yards. I'll carry one of my Wilson Combat's fairly regularly in a 4" gun when I want somthing a little smaller.

But I agree with you that the Ed Brown's are one of the slickest 1911's out there. You can spend more but I don't think you'd get any more pistol for the money. There is a reason that many of the custom makers and smiths use Ed Brown parts. One word; QUALITY.

Steve

Don Barnett

My 911 Story - In a Nutshell - DO NOT BUY THE TAURUS PT 1911!

Should have spent $300 more and bought the Kimber rather than the Taurus!

Bad extractor and NUMEROUS failure to feed problems. Totally unreliable!

Local gunsmith/dealer will NOT carry or work on Taurus firearms because of inconsistent quality. He has had to send too many back and loses money.

Chaingun81

Local gunsmith/dealer will NOT carry or work on Taurus firearms because of inconsistent quality. He has had to send too many back and loses money.

I think I know the dealer you are talking about. Is that VA Arms? I came there 2 years ago with the question about Taurus vs Springfield GI or Mil-spec (my budget was $500-$600) and Bernie told me to not even think about Taurus 1911 and that he wont carry it because it's such a POS. It wasn't the brand issue, because he does sell Taurus revolvers (I bought one from him myself) and says they are fine guns. It's specifically Taurus 1911 he is so against.

He told me I can get the SA GI if I wanted a mil-spec gun (as of WWII mil-spec) and if I was lucky enough to catch one or if I wanted a loaded 1911 without hassle, up my budget to $700 and get a Kimber. That's exactly what I did and he sold me a basic Kimber Custom II for $705.

Has some FTF/FTE issues on first 200 rounds (probably one FTF/FTE every other mag) - which is expected and even stated in the manual and then I had only 1 or 2 FTF in the next 300 rounds. Manual says FTE/FTF are supposed to go away after 500-600 rounds, so it's all good.

erb

I think I know the dealer you are talking about. Is that VA Arms? I came there 2 years ago with the question about Taurus vs Springfield GI or Mil-spec (my budget was $500-$600) and Bernie told me to not even think about Taurus 1911 and that he wont carry it because it's such a POS. It wasn't the brand issue, because he does sell Taurus revolvers (I bought one from him myself) and says they are fine guns. It's specifically Taurus 1911 he is so against.

He told me I can get the SA GI if I wanted a mil-spec gun (as of WWII mil-spec) and if I was lucky enough to catch one or if I wanted a loaded 1911 without hassle, up my budget to $700 and get a Kimber. That's exactly what I did and he sold me a basic Kimber Custom II for $705.

Has some FTF/FTE issues on first 200 rounds (probably one FTF/FTE every other mag) - which is expected and even stated in the manual and then I had only 1 or 2 FTF in the next 300 rounds. Manual says FTE/FTF are supposed to go away after 500-600 rounds, so it's all good.

The only issue I've had pre 500 rounds with my Raptor II Pro was the slide didn't go all the way forward (happened twice). Just smack the back of the slide and she locks in.

Don Barnett

No, It Was Not VA Arms

No Chaingun81, It was not VA Arms but a shop in "Old-Town" Manassas. It is only open certain times during the week; I think his main business is gunsmithing. He seems to know what he is talking about.

Bernie recommended him. I have bought several guns from VA Arms; they are very helpful and offer excellent pricing. Whenever I go in there, it is packed with customers but someone is right there to help.

I bought the Taurus from some dealer at the Dale City Gun Show and paid cash. Once I get the extractor fixed it will be a nice gun. It is VERY accurate.

Cowboy_Rick

The GREAT 1911-A1

While in the U.S.ARMY I was working on the Pistol Ranges while waiting for the DRILL INSTRUCTOR ACADEMY to begin another class. I used the .45 extensively each and every day. I instructed the trainees and young Lieutenants. I had become very proficient with the firearm by the time I had to leave for DRILL INSTRUCTOR TRAINING. I actually fired EXPERT for real many times after that, it really helped. Needless to say I have 3 of them, one by SPRINGFIELD, ROCK ISLAND, and a CUSTOM SPRINGFIELD with a three inch barrel and 6 cartridge magazine. The ROCK ISLAND, is from the PHILLAPINES but is very good and very acurate-the firearm was built to GOVT. SPECS.

Last edited:

KansasMustang

I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding why all y'all are so intent on M1911's ? And the expense of a Kimber for a piece of untrustworthy junk is just beyond me. I know each to their own and all but when you've run out of ammo and have to change magazines I'm still shooting my XD45 with what you started out with left. And at 495$ a pop I could buy four of them what you pay for one of the others. Just me sayin' it.

Last edited:

Cowboy_Rick

The 1911-A1 A Simple Design POWERFUL PROJECTILE

The Magazine Capacity may be a Plus, but do remember that there can be many problems that arise and a "Cleared Firearm" may be able to correct the problem. I have used the 1911-A1 in many bad circumstances and have relied upon the firearm in various instances. At 230gr, .452, and vast amounts of Kinetic Energy building up on the projectile versus the 9mm, I'll take the 1911-A1 any day even if it holds only 7 rounds whereas the 9mm holds 14 or more.

.45acp

I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding why all y'all are so intent on M1911's ? And the expense of a Kimber for a piece of untrustworthy junk is just beyond me. I know each to their own and all but when you've run out of ammo and have to change magazines I'm still shooting my ZD45 with what you started out with left. And at 495$ a pop I could buy four of them what you pay for one of the others. Just me sayin' it.

What untrustworthy junk are you referring to? Other than a few individual pistol problems Kimber makes a quality firearm. Just for a little clarification most Kimbers go for 800 to 1200. There may be a reason they are double the price of your ZD45 (Whatever in the hell that is).

Can you back it up or are ya just sayin it?

Steve

simmonsjoe

I have a PT1911. The bluing is pretty high friction. The slide/frame fit is tighter than people give it credit for. I had a few issues with FTF when the gun was unlubricated/dirty. This was exasturbated when the recoil spring wore out very prematurely. I Replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 17.5# (stock is 14#). Haven't had a FTF in 1000~ rounds since. Even let it get dry and dirty still feeds. even feeds wolf ammo. So you can wish you'd spent $300 dollars and mope.... Or you can spend $12 dollars and buy a spring. Helps even more if you have a dremel, you can polish the feed ramp up for free.:dude: Good luck, let me know how it goes.

forkman10mm

Kimber

This is my first time posting so hello and I started to oc about a month ago and now as soon as my pants go on I have my pistol... Now I have a very new Kimber Stainless Target 2 which I put the heaver spring package in and Crimson Trace grips. and only have put about 600 rounds through it so far but have had no problems with it at all, One thing is its not a .45acp its a 10mm. but if I can not hit something in the first nine shots then I have a problem, also I have two backup mags (I know a little over kill but what the heck) any way the 1911 browning design is one of the best in the world and is tried on more battlefields then Im sure I even know and is almost 100 years old and not much if any change on the original.

My two cents good night.

KansasMustang

If I thought capacity was an issue, I'd get an extended mag.

I like to feel the steel in my hands.

TRIED AND TRUE

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meusoc.htm

Not just capacity, but in the case of Kimber and some others RELIABILITY. As per some you take part of a statement out of context and answer only the one part. And yes, I can back up reliability problems in Kimbers. As to this statement from .45ACP
"What untrustworthy junk are you referring to? Other than a few individual pistol problems Kimber makes a quality firearm. Just for a little clarification most Kimbers go for 800 to 1200. There may be a reason they are double the price of your ZD45 (Whatever in the hell that is)."
Ever heard of a typo?? Mr. Perfect?? Yeah the reason a Kimber is twice the cost of a Springfield Armory XD45 is the name. Like when I was breeding horses, the cowboys always told me they don't ride the papers. A good weapon is a good one, a bad one is just that also.
And YEAH, I'm still sayin' it. I've put thousands of rounds downrange from M1911A1's. Carried one for 25 years US Army, in the Tank Corps. I know a good piece when I squeeze em off, and a Kimber just ISN'T. I was not badmouthing M1911's in whole, just Kimbers. You could give me one, then I'd take it and trade it in without ever opening the box and trade it for 2 XD45's, Steve.

Last edited: