• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My 1911 story

.45acp

Not just capacity, but in the case of Kimber and some others RELIABILITY. As per some you take part of a statement out of context and answer only the one part. And yes, I can back up reliability problems in Kimbers. As to this statement from .45ACP
"What untrustworthy junk are you referring to? Other than a few individual pistol problems Kimber makes a quality firearm. Just for a little clarification most Kimbers go for 800 to 1200. There may be a reason they are double the price of your ZD45 (Whatever in the hell that is)."
Ever heard of a typo?? Mr. Perfect?? Yeah the reason a Kimber is twice the cost of a Springfield Armory XD45 is the name. Like when I was breeding horses, the cowboys always told me they don't ride the papers. A good weapon is a good one, a bad one is just that also.
And YEAH, I'm still sayin' it. I've put thousands of rounds downrange from M1911A1's. Carried one for 25 years US Army, in the Tank Corps. I know a good piece when I squeeze em off, and a Kimber just ISN'T. I was not badmouthing M1911's in whole, just Kimbers. You could give me one, then I'd take it and trade it in without ever opening the box and trade it for 2 XD45's, Steve.

Not to be unkind, but you still ramble on with unsubstantiated statements. I took nothing out of context regarding your statements, nor did I consider your comments to be against 1911’s in general. Your comment “Untrustworthy Junk” regarding Kimbers did give me pause and when called on it you provided more anecdotal opinion not fact.

Yea, I have heard of a typo, but in my defense I thought you owned a ZD45, I do not keep up with the flavor of the month in firearms…..Sorry. I have read good things about the XD45 but nothing that would lead me to think they any more reliable than any number of pistols on the market..not just Kimbers. Just for edification, I own just 1 Kimber, so don’t think I’m Kimber fan boy.

So at the end, You’re still just stating opinion, not fact backed up by evidence.

Steve

.45acp

erb;1296904Normally I would just spend the $2500 on it and make it up somehow said:
ERB, If you don't want to wait, check the used market for Ed Brown's, I have seen some good deals with several lightly used EB's at 500 to 1000 less than the shop prices. I would not get worked up about a 1 lb trigger, in my opinion 1 lbs is too light for carry, a great target trigger, but if you every wind up in court over a shoot, you'll be hard pressed to justify a trigger that light to a jury of non shooting peers.

Steve

jadedone4

My 1911 Story - Springfied Armory Champion Operator (4")

My, my, my.... where to start.....?

This weapon is a tack-driver, I ran three mags (21/rds) through an ICE-Q target, 15/rds in 5x, 6/rds in 5 from 7yards (21ft) out.

Moved target further down-range (at/about 15yards) slightly different results (21/rds; 7/rds in 5x, 8/rds in 5 and 6 outside, but still in put-down/damage zone - chalk up to "user-error" and nothing to do with the weapon).

The above was all GA Arms FMJ's....

Then move to Hornady TAP and Speer Gold Dots (230gr and +p); different feel from 7yrds, similar accuracy (therefore, the mag's for carry will be alternating rounds of both).

Switched out the wood grips for Hogue finger grooves (I have large hands, Hogue's have treated me well and are on all my handguns - special Thanks for Bernie/VAC for ordering).

Order four (4) sets of holsters (Desantis with thumb-break, Nick Matthews open OWB, Crossbreed SuperTuck - full-size, and Haugen Speed Combo - holster, dbl-mag, and belt as a package) - still waiting on holsters to "debut" the S/A-1911 Champion Operator; this weapon deserves a nice "ride" befitting of its quality.

It will take a whole lot to move me away from the tried, tested and true SIG P226 (its parked right beside me as a I type this message) and it will more than likely be my daily carry, but that 1911 is a VERY sweet weapon.

That's my 1911 story, and I am sticking with it.... (dammit...!!!)....

Last edited:

KansasMustang

Not to be unkind, but you still ramble on with unsubstantiated statements. I took nothing out of context regarding your statements, nor did I consider your comments to be against 1911’s in general. Your comment “Untrustworthy Junk” regarding Kimbers did give me pause and when called on it you provided more anecdotal opinion not fact.

Yea, I have heard of a typo, but in my defense I thought you owned a ZD45, I do not keep up with the flavor of the month in firearms…..Sorry. I have read good things about the XD45 but nothing that would lead me to think they any more reliable than any number of pistols on the market..not just Kimbers. Just for edification, I own just 1 Kimber, so don’t think I’m Kimber fan boy.

So at the end, You’re still just stating opinion, not fact backed up by evidence.

Steve

Hard evidence I really can't give you, other than when I was in buying my XD there was 2 fella's trading their Kimbers in for an XD. They told me the dang things would have more fail to load and fail to extract then any weapon they'd ever seen. That's all the hard evidence I needed. I believe in tried and true also. I've fired 700 rounds at least from my XD and it has never had a failure. You just jumped too quick and I didn't look hard enough to find my typo before I posted. And, were you calling me a boy? or was that you saying you're a Kimber fan boy? Cuz I'm a veteran, a land owner, and a Grandfather and hardly consider myself a boy. Your apology will be duly noted. And at the end,,I consider that word of mouth all the evidence I need.

erb

^^^ That's all the evidence you needed???

I'm willing to bet he meant "fanboy" and not "fan, boy".

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the full size 1911 Kobra. The Kobra Carry felt lighter than my Kimber Raptor II Pro, so I expect the Kobra to be only slightly heavier than the Raptor.

.45acp

Hard evidence I really can't give you, other than when I was in buying my XD there was 2 fella's trading their Kimbers in for an XD. They told me the dang things would have more fail to load and fail to extract then any weapon they'd ever seen. That's all the hard evidence I needed. I believe in tried and true also. I've fired 700 rounds at least from my XD and it has never had a failure. And at the end,,I consider that word of mouth all the evidence I need.

Did you bother to find out what was causing the FTF's or FTE's? There are numerous thing ranging from poorly loaded ammo, grip (limp wristing) or cases in FTE’s that come to mind when people complain of FTF’s or FTE’s. Not all problems are caused by the gun. Had the extractors been looked at or maybe tuned? Or were they Kimber Eclipse, if I remember correctly this was a model with an external extractor that had problems with FTE’s, but they have not been in production for four or five years. Again, hard evidence is based upon fact not opinion or perception, both of which you cite in your posts.

You just jumped too quick and I didn't look hard enough to find my typo before I posted. And, were you calling me a boy? or was that you saying you're a Kimber fan boy? Cuz I'm a veteran, a land owner, and a Grandfather and hardly consider myself a boy. Your apology will be duly noted..

Not sure where you are headed with this but it is evident that you failed to read my post and punctuation completely before you responded. I would suggest you take deep breath and re read my post. And just for a little clarification, interpretation of your typo’s is not my responsibility, in the future, I would suggest that you use spell check and edit the post before hitting the submit button.

Steve

.45acp

^^^ That's all the evidence you needed???

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm going for the full size 1911 Kobra. The Kobra Carry felt lighter than my Kimber Raptor II Pro, so I expect the Kobra to be only slightly heavier than the Raptor.

ERB, a friend has the Kobra Carry, he is more than happy with the gun, I have had the opportunity run several hundred rounds out the gun and in my opinion it will make you a great carry gun. The bob tail version is a great feature especially when CC. As I have stated before, Ed Brown makes one of the best 1911 types out there and the customer service is outstanding. My only words of warning; custom and high end 1911’s are addictive soon you’ll need a Wilson, Baer and Clark to keep your Ed Brown Company. For some good info and user comments on EB pistols check the Ed Brown forum at

http://forums.1911forum.com/

Steve

Batousaii

My 1911 - Colt combat commander

I have an 80 series all steel Colt 1911 Combat Commander. I absolutly love it, trust it, have fired plenty of rounds through it with various hollow points, and it has never failed me. It is accurate and comfortable. Yes: it had the plastic main spring housing, and the ugly new style grip safety (with long tail), i simply swapped them out for the old school steel G-I replacement parts, and been lovin every shot it sends down range. It's a no frills piece, simple, and solid.

I have other guns i enjoy too, but for auto's my 1911 is a favorite.

Bat

Last edited:

KansasMustang

Did you bother to find out what was causing the FTF's or FTE's? There are numerous thing ranging from poorly loaded ammo, grip (limp wristing) or cases in FTE’s that come to mind when people complain of FTF’s or FTE’s. Not all problems are caused by the gun. Had the extractors been looked at or maybe tuned? Or were they Kimber Eclipse, if I remember correctly this was a model with an external extractor that had problems with FTE’s, but they have not been in production for four or five years. Again, hard evidence is based upon fact not opinion or perception, both of which you cite in your posts.

Not sure where you are headed with this but it is evident that you failed to read my post and punctuation completely before you responded. I would suggest you take deep breath and re read my post. And just for a little clarification, interpretation of your typo’s is not my responsibility, in the future, I would suggest that you use spell check and edit the post before hitting the submit button.

Steve

I suppose that I maybe could have asked the question about the FTF and FTE but I'm not a trained investigator into these things. Word of mouth from two combat veterans is usually all I need. As to the reliability of Kimbers these are not the first complaints I'd heard or read elsewhere. As to you interpreting my typos, and my re-reading and editing, well I'll just not comment because you are just better than me, what can I say? I'm no expert but I also know what an expert is, Ex=has been spurt = drip under pressure. I take most things on face value. Don't try and read into it much. But I've probably fired more rounds of ammunition than a good many folks. Anything from 120mm tank cannon down to .22 cal and as afore stated I do believe that I know a good weapon from a bad one. If I'd heard just one comment about XD45's I would have questioned it's reliability also. As to the comment you made about the fan boy comment I questioned, simple answer from you would be Kimber fan, easier for me to interpret and less chance of misunderstanding. Would you not agree? And as to my opinion, I'm not going to do your research for you. I've got plenty of evidence to know that I will never buy a Kimber. As I've previously stated I have fired many 1911's off the arms room rack. Ancient Army issued with new barrels and bushings, that rattled when you shook 'em. And I trusted them with my life, literally. But when I found the Springfield Armory XD45, with 13+1 capacity .45 acp 130 grain hollow point, and having fired US Army Springfield 1911's off the arms room rack, well I was convinced. And moreover since I've yet to have an FTF or FTE. Since you are the expert, .45acp, I'll just bow to your infinite wisdom.

Last edited:

.45acp

I take most things on face value. Don't try and read into it much. QUOTE]

Without a doubt.

I call BS on your whole Kimber thing, your story has more twists and turns than is worth noting. You got called, asked to put up or shut up and now you have to resort to ad homen attacks and childish prose to to deflect attention away from the merits of your statements.

Steve

Last edited:

KansasMustang

I take most things on face value. Don't try and read into it much. QUOTE]

Without a doubt.

I call BS on your whole Kimber thing, your story has more twists and turns than is worth noting. You got called, asked to put up or shut up and now you have to resort to ad homen attacks and childish prose to to deflect attention away from the merits of your statements.

Steve

How about you pound sand up your fifth point of contact and don't portend to tell me to do anything? This conversation has ended,, As I stated,,do your own research. And hope you don't have a FTF or FTE with your Kimber, sonny.

.45acp

How about you pound sand up your fifth point of contact and don't portend to tell me to do anything? This conversation has ended,, As I stated,,do your own research. And hope you don't have a FTF or FTE with your Kimber, sonny.

Pound sand???, Is that the best you got?

Generally speaking, in most circles (obviously not yours) when you make derogatory statements, defending them comes with the territory. Therefore, the research is not mine to do; the research to back your claim is for you to perform. It is unfortunate that you are to lazy to Google “FTF’s FTE’s Kimber Pistols” before you started bad mouthing Kimber. If you had, it would have saved you embarrassment.

I’m not sure where “I portended to tell you what to do”.

portend [pɔːˈtɛnd]
vb (tr)
1. to give warning of; predict or foreshadow
2. Obsolete to indicate or signify; mean

I believe you meant presume. I can assure you that I would not presume to tell you anything; as you are convinced you already know everything.

It is also generally recognized that the “This conversation is over with” is consistent with people without the ability to justify or back their position.

As to the FTE’s or FTF’s in my Kimber, do not worry, about 8000 rds down range and not a one attributable to the gun. In fact it is my father’s CC gun.

Sonny???? Just for your edification, I was instructing officers on the finer points of shooting the 1911 back in 74 and 75.

sultan62

As to the FTE’s or FTF’s in my Kimber, do not worry, about 8000 rds down range and not a one attributable to the gun.

What do you mean by not attributable to the gun? What kind of FTE/FTFs have you had not attributable to the gun?

.45acp

What do you mean by not attributable to the gun? What kind of FTE/FTFs have you had not attributable to the gun?

Steve

Not just poor quality reloads; some guns are finicky when it comes to bullet shape. I have found that the shorter bbl length guns are more susceptible to COAL with TMJ cast bullets. For instance, I have a Wilson Steath (4” gun) that is finicky regarding COAL. Whereas a Kimber custom I bought new in 98 exhibits no issues and digests almost anything run through it, including 200 SWC’s. In my experience, there are far more FTF’s than FTE unless the extractor is worn, out of tune or home tuned .

I have not had any problems with the designed round for any of my 1911 types, 230 gr jacket ball. Most of the 1911 FTF issue I have seen revolves around lighter bullet wts. But, that is just my opinion because I only shoot 230 gr jacked or cast bullets.

Steve

KansasMustang

Pound sand???, Is that the best you got?

Generally speaking, in most circles (obviously not yours) when you make derogatory statements, defending them comes with the territory. Therefore, the research is not mine to do; the research to back your claim is for you to perform. It is unfortunate that you are to lazy to Google “FTF’s FTE’s Kimber Pistols” before you started bad mouthing Kimber. If you had, it would have saved you embarrassment.

I’m not sure where “I portended to tell you what to do”.

portend [pɔːˈtɛnd]
vb (tr)
1. to give warning of; predict or foreshadow
2. Obsolete to indicate or signify; mean

I believe you meant presume. I can assure you that I would not presume to tell you anything; as you are convinced you already know everything.

It is also generally recognized that the “This conversation is over with” is consistent with people without the ability to justify or back their position.

As to the FTE’s or FTF’s in my Kimber, do not worry, about 8000 rds down range and not a one attributable to the gun. In fact it is my father’s CC gun.

Sonny???? Just for your edification, I was instructing officers on the finer points of shooting the 1911 back in 74 and 75.

In 1975 I was a Tank Platoon Sergeant. And as I stated, I'm thru playin' with you. Pound sand was the least derogatory and cleanest thing I decided to say. You took my meaning. Now I'm not the English professor that you are, and yeah,,okay, I presume,because when you ASSume you know what happens. And as I stated. I'm thru playin' with you. And after much consideration I have come to the conclusion that you are just an anal retentive prick. And for not being a Kimber fan BOY, you sure have taken major umbrage to my dislike of paying exorbitant prices for a weapon that I while never having owned one, have plenty of word of mouth advertisement giving me reason enough not to want to own one. Now I know you're going to post at least one more remark about how f#*ked up you think I am, and that I'm too lazy to google stuff, but I don't spend hours on here because I have a horse ranch to attend to and a life to lead, so have a nice day.

Last edited:

.45acp

In 1975 I was a Tank Platoon Sergeant. And as I stated, I'm thru playin' with you. Pound sand was the least derogatory and cleanest thing I decided to say. You took my meaning. Now I'm not the English professor that you are, and yeah,,okay, I presume,because when you ASSume you know what happens. And as I stated. I'm thru playin' with you. And after much consideration I have come to the conclusion that you are just an anal retentive prick. And for not being a Kimber fan BOY, you sure have taken major umbrage to my dislike of paying exorbitant prices for a weapon that I while never having owned one, have plenty of word of mouth advertisement giving me reason enough not to want to own one. Now I know you're going to post at least one more remark about how f#*ked up you think I am, and that I'm too lazy to google stuff, but I don't spend hours on here because I have a horse ranch to attend to and a life to lead, so have a nice day.

You just can’t get enough can you? I have to ask, Do you always lead with your chin?

I can see that you are accustom to blustering your way through an argument, and when left without facts to back your position you resort to personal attacks…and fairly weak ones at that.

I have not taken major umbrage with your considered opinion that Kimbers are overpriced. I took issue with your bad mouthing Kimber without any substantiation or discernable facts to back your claim.

As to you being all *uck*d up, well, I think you make that point well enough on your own without any assistance from me.

goforlow

I am not going to get into the little argument above.

But, I own and frequently shoot a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 and a Kimber Ultra Carry II (3in barrel) and I trust my life to both guns. The Kimber was a little tight fitting for about 200 rounds but shoots great. Last trip to the range I shot 4" group, 6 rds with one hand at 15 yrds. This is the gun I carry most often and would trust it to protect anyone using it.

38SUPER

First time post here just thought I would chime in...Kimber sells alot of guns and has a good reputation with alot of people...Not me personally I dont really care for them, after a few bad experiences with an Eclipse and a TLE...mainly FTF's and FTE's but then there was the mag catch that continued to break as well...Right now I carry a Taurus PT1911 in 38Super and have never had a problem, I did replace the recoil spring when got the gun and it has run flawlessly...When it comes to a 1911 it doesn't matter who really made it as long as the frame and slide aren't junk...thats the thing with 1911's they are alot like JEEPS, they're not really bought as much as they are built...if it doesn't work Tune it, and trick it out...thats the beauty of guns there are so many aftermarket parts, they are unique as their owners...which ever manufacture you choose for your 1911, I am sure you will be happy...its a 1911.
PS: the Kobras are very nice...if you haven't had the chance you may want to look at the VOLKMANN Combat Custom, this is gonna be my next .45 1911.

erb

Turns out my next gun will be an AR-15 variant, probably M4 Bushmaster, 5.56.
EOTech 512 holographic sights
Handle-grip on the foregrip.

All that and it's still gonna be cheaper than the Ed Brown. It will feel good to expand my arsenal :)

On the Kimber Raptor II Pro, I plan on replacing the MSH with stainless. Crimson laser grips are coming soon, along with the shortened safety for the right side.

Last edited: