• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Poulsbo

fire suppressor

I moved to Poulsbo a few months ago but really haven't opened carried there. The clientele is a little more up scale than what I am use to and to be honest have been feeling a little intimidated. Today I decided it was time armed with my voice recorder I tucked in my shirt and set out. First stop was the laundromat I got there around 1400 and was surprised at how busy it was. I was wearing a very nice green button up shirt with clashed with my black/sliver XD and really drew your attention to it, or so I thought. For the hour and a half I was in and out checking on my laundry there was an average of 5-10 other peolpe in close proximity to me. I was nervous but no one ever said anything. The only response I got was from a middle aged woman using a machine next to mine wearing a Bainbridge Island shirt. She looked at me rolled her eyes in discuss and huffed. Other than that no one seemed to notice. I even passed the citizen patrol they gave me a wave and continued to write a parking ticket to someone parked in a handicap space.

After my laundry was done I hit up hollywood video. (all DVDs 60% off!) I held the door open for a woman behind me. As I turned to hold the door open it presented her with my strong side. She glanced at my sidearm before looking back at me and saying "thank you" with a smile. I spent about half an hour in the store with out any other comments expect for a very cheerful "thanks for stopping by" as I left.

Next I hit up casa rojas express, starbucks and central market all with out any problems. I was nervous about central market but no one seemed to even notice expect for a one worker. We we both walking not really paying attention to each other and we both had to slam on our e-brakes on to stop from running into each other. An arms length away from me we both looked at each other laughed and apologized. As I continued past him he looked down and saw the gun and jumped a little. He looked back at me surprised but smiled and looked unsure. I took a few more steps and looked back. I was expecting him to be walking towards the managers office but instead he was back stocking his shelves. I went up stairs to the dinning area with a drink (witch I paid for) and sat and talked with my girlfriend for a while.

All and all it was a very positive OC experience. It felt really good to finally get the gun back on the outside of my pants and hold my head tall and proud. I haven't OC'd in Poulsbo long enough to know if this would be a typical day or if I just got lucky but I'll take it either way. The biggest thing I have learned after three years of OC is as long as you act confident and can act like it no big deal most peolpe just follow your example. I am curious if there are any fellow OC'ers in the area I have not yet seen any

redski30

Hey welcome to Poulsbo. I oc here all the time, and I have not had a bad experience yet. Most of the people don't have a problem with oc.

Mainsail

I'm in Siverdale now, and spend some time in Poulsbo. I've carried open to the Central Market a few times and nobody batted an eye. I OCd in Albertson's in Silverdale, heard a manager being paged shortly after I entered, and when I left I spotted a Sheriff's car driving out of the parking lot. I'm not sure he was there for me but he left without making contact.

Lante

I live in Poulsbo / Kingston and OC here all the time. Rarely have any negative encounters (watch the female manager at Silverdale Home Depot .... she knows the policy, but doesn't like it, and tries to be a pain in the hip). We can get together sometime if you are interested....

amlevin

I live in Poulsbo / Kingston and OC here all the time. Rarely have any negative encounters (watch the female manager at Silverdale Home Depot .... she knows the policy, but doesn't like it, and tries to be a pain in the hip). We can get together sometime if you are interested....

I grew up just down the road in Silverdale (the old family house is now a storage building at Clear Creek Nursery) and found everyone in Poulsbo to just be "ordinary folk". The gal from Bainbridge Island is probably one of those Seattle Liberals that use the island as a 'bedroom". Her washing machine is probably broken and waiting for a part to arrive for here "planet saving" machine imported from Europe. Didn't want to be seen in the laundromat in Winslow so she drove to Poulsbo in order to be "incognito".

Your post proved a simple point. Dress neatly, wear proudly, and behave like a gentleman (or lady), and nobody will give a care. Those that don't care about OC won't stop their activities and those that don't like it will probably mistake you for an off-duty cop. Dress like a homeless person or gang-banger and the situation can change.

Mainsail

So does anyone know a good outdoor shooting area? I've shot in some clearcut area off 104 north of the Hood Canal a couple times but there's really not much room there.

redski30

That's a good idea we should see how many people we can get together for a cookout. Maby at the silverdale waterfront park, or downtown poulsbo waterfront.

redski30

Were you down on the powerlines? Cause my dad and I go down there sometimes to shoot his 50. You can get almost 500yd shots.

Mainsail

Were you down on the powerlines? Cause my dad and I go down there sometimes to shoot his 50. You can get almost 500yd shots.

It’s a little road that goes off to the right from SR104. Some old hag rode up on a horse and began screaming at me one time. I was polite and mentioned that there were no signs (like there are on the other side of 104) and she accused me of taking them down. I asked her what all the hostility was about and she screamed, “because my f***ing horse almost threw me!” Ah, I see. Your horse is frightened by gunfire so you thought it would be a good idea to ride closer to the gunfire?

I think I’ve seen the spot farther north by the power lines, on the left (southeast)side of 104, but I don’t see any way of getting in there. Do you have to hike in?

Last edited:

redski30

You take the quillicene exit toward quillicene when you get to quillicene you turn left and follow that road i think it's 101 for about 7 to 8 miles. There is a power box on your left take the road next to it you come to a 4 way turn right and you are there. If you want we could get some guys together and go up there this weekend.

.45ACPaddy

I'll be in Silverdale tomorrow visiting my stepdad, perhaps I might consider finding one of these spots.

Or we could have an OC meet in Silverdale!:banana:

gsx1138

I work every Friday, Saturday, and every other Sunday. Evening shift. So if you guys pick those days I can make it in the morning. I haven't OC'd in Poulsbo either. I always got the feeling that they were snobby liberals. Guess I could be wrong. But when I was a snobby liberal I felt right at home there. I usually hung out at the Poulsbohemian.

Mainsail

You take the quillicene exit toward quillicene when you get to quillicene you turn left and follow that road i think it's 101 for about 7 to 8 miles. There is a power box on your left take the road next to it you come to a 4 way turn right and you are there. If you want we could get some guys together and go up there this weekend.

Quilcene exit off of what road?

fire suppressor

Work has kept me busy last few days but I was happy to see when I logged back on people have had similar experiences in Poulsbo. Now that I know there are a few of us a low key causal get together may be in order. I know its yuppie but I do prefer Starbucks coffee. My July is filling up fast but would like to try a meet and greet at Starbucks or up top at central market. Happy 4th of July everybody stay safe!

jeeper1

That's where I nailed a deer a few years ago, with the front of my pu. It doesn't look like much but it over $3500 to fix.
dscf0020_1.jpg

Mainsail

I think this is the spot off Hwy 104 near the power lines:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...027,-122.861644&spn=0.00145,0.002964&t=h&z=19

I've never shot there, but the other day while driving by I saw a guy carrying a rifle case from his car down the trail. There is a fairly large gravel area off the side of the road to park in.

I tried to follow the directions provided on Saturday but I could never find anything. I got to do some 4-wheeling though. I ended up on some lumber company owned land but had to turn back when I got to the red-dot roads.

J09.png

redski30

The powerlines are off hwy 101 not 104. You take the quillicene exit off of 104 follow that to quillicene turn left on 101 and follow to mt walker rd. right past a power box. once your on that rd take first rt and follow it to the spot