Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Teen Shoots would-be burglary suspect :)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Teen Shoots would-be burglary suspect :)

    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7528124

    HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two would-be burglars are in police custody thanks to the quick actions of a 15-year-old.

    One suspect is in jail, and the other is at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Investigators say they aren't sure whether the injured suspect is going to make it. He was shot in both his legs and face by a 15-year-old who detectives say feared for his and his sister's safety.

    It happened at a home on Royal Place Court in northwest Harris County at around 2:30pm Tuesday.

    "All he said was, 'Anybody seriously hurt?' and he said, 'Oh yeah, definitely,'" neighbor Renee Thompson said.


    The blood on the driveway told a burglary-gone-bad story.

    Deputies say the suspects broke into the home through a back window. From upstairs, the 15-year-old -- who was home with his 12-year-old sister -- heard the breaking glass and grabbed his father's automatic rifle. The burglary was soon over.

    Family members rushed to the home, but the children's father, Vince Guerra, had beaten them all there. He's a Harris County Pct. 1 deputy constable and was on duty when it happened. No wonder his son knew what to do.

    "We don't try to hide things from our children, and we try to give them a perspective about the way things are," Harris County Sheriff's Office Lt. Jeff Stauber said.

    Within an hour, both suspects -- one adult and one juvenile -- were in custody; they were caught at a nearby hospital while seeking help.

    The juvenile was brought back to the scene, where deputies checked him for evidence and collected the rifle.

    Neighbors backed what the 15-year-old did.

    "I'm really glad he was able to defend himself," Thompson said.

    Investigators concluded the shooting was justified.

    "As parents, we protect our kids, and as an older brother, he was protecting his sister and himself," Stauber said.

    Neighbors say there have been recent burglaries in the neighborhood.

    Investigators said that rifle was the personal weapon of the teen's father, the deputy constable. He's been with the constable's office for 11 years and is described as a good officer.

    There were some questions about whether he'd be liable for the shooting since his son had easy access to the weapon, but ABC13's legal expert says that the 15-year-old's right to protect his home and sister trumps all child firearm access laws.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    So according to the media this kid used an "automatic rifle"--a MACHINE GUN--to defend himself?

    Obviously, the media covering this story has brown eyes (because they are absolutely full of BS).

    If this was REALLY an"automatic rifle", the BATFE would have IMMEDIATELY declared jurisdiction. The father AND the firearm would have been seized, and the father would have been required to prove he had his $200 permission stamp. Then there is the "transfer to a non-authorised person" issue, and the fact that it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to allow a Class 3 firearm to come into the possession of an unsupervised minor, or ANYONE who isn't either the owner or a member of the owing trust, without the knowledge and supervision of said owner.

    The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.

    Either option does not inspire confidence...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    145
    Oh, no. It was a fully automatic weapon. The kid was spraying suppressive fire while screaming back at his sister to "get to the choppa now!"

    Do the reporters ever get the details right when a gun is involved? It's like they do it on purpose...

    Kudos to the kid for protecting himself, his sister, and his home and kudos to the parents for teaching him how to safely operate the weapon in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    So according to the media this kid used an "automatic rifle"--a MACHINE GUN--to defend himself?

    Obviously, the media covering this story has brown eyes (because they are absolutely full of BS).

    If this was REALLY an"automatic rifle", the BATFE would have IMMEDIATELY declared jurisdiction. The father AND the firearm would have been seized, and the father would have been required to prove he had his $200 permission stamp. Then there is the "transfer to a non-authorised person" issue, and the fact that it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to allow a Class 3 firearm to come into the possession of an unsupervised minor, or ANYONE who isn't either the owner or a member of the owing trust, without the knowledge and supervision of said owner.

    The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.

    Either option does not inspire confidence...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    48
    That the media got a story about guns wrong? You're kidding me.

    Looked like the Sheriffs were bagging an AR15, I'm surprised the media didn't say, oh the boy used a scary looking black rifle.

    This alarmed me even more:
    <<There were some questions about whether he'd be liable for the shooting since his son had easy access to the weapon, but ABC13's legal expert says that the 15-year-old's right to protect his home and sister trumps all child firearm access laws. >>

    Huh? Excuse me? The media implied since he had easy access to a weapon tha may have saved his and his sisters life, he may have done something wrong? Now I am sick.

  5. #5
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Lightbulb

    I think they are just negligent
    MEDIA:

    Machine gun = Anything capable of fully automatic fire.

    Automatic = Anything that auto-loads from a magazine, used in a favorable shooting

    Assault Rifle = same as Automatic, used in an unfavorable shooting.

    Why? Because they are too lazy or intimidated to learn what different types of weapons are. And there is a lot.

    Machine-pistol
    sub-machine-gun
    Short barreled rifle
    Carbine
    Auto-loading
    automatic
    semi-automatic
    full-automatic
    Pistol
    revolver
    direct gas impingement
    gas piston
    recoil operated
    Roller locked
    locked breech
    modified link-less browning
    etc etc.

    Second nature to us, yea. To them? It's like listening to a kid talk about computer ****.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    269
    Well to be fair, I've always heard 'automatic rifle' and 'automatic pistol' used to describe autoloading firearms. Remember that the 'acp' in .45acp means 'automatic colt pistol.'

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    246
    [QUOTE=

    Huh? Excuse me? The media implied since he had easy access to a weapon tha may have saved his and his sisters life, he may have done something wrong? Now I am sick.[/QUOTE]

    +1

    I think that is the only thing that the media should have said.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    44
    My edits to how the story should have been written:

    Two would-be burglars are in police custody thanks to the quick actions of a 15-year-old.

    One suspect is in jail, and the other is at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Investigators say they aren't sure whether the injured suspect is going to make it. He was shot in both his legs and face by a 15-year-old who detectives say feared for his and his sister's safety.

    The blood on the driveway told a burglary-gone-bad story.

    Deputies say the suspects broke into the home through a back window. From upstairs, the 15-year-old -- who was home with his 12-year-old sister -- heard the breaking glass and grabbed his father's rifle. The burglary was soon over.

    Within an hour, both suspects -- one adult and one juvenile -- were in custody; they were caught at a nearby hospital while seeking help.

    The juvenile was brought back to the scene, where deputies checked him for evidence and collected the rifle.

    Neighbors backed what the 15-year-old did.

    "I'm really glad he was able to defend himself," Thompson said.

    Investigators concluded the shooting was justified.

    Neighbors say there have been recent burglaries in the neighborhood. After this incident, we are assuming criminals will avoid that area in the near future.

    Investigators said that rifle was the personal weapon of the teen's father, the deputy constable. He's been with the constable's office for 11 years and is described as a good officer and a good father.

    His parents should be proud of the the 15-year-old's quick actions and clear thinking, he is a credit to his family and the community.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , Utah, USA
    Posts
    48
    ELW75 - I like it. It would be a nice touch to add; this family believes in teaching responsible gun ownership, safety and training. Firearm training that likely saved these two minors from two HOME INVADERS that commited a B&E in the WRONG household. <edit add> After the LE investigation is complete, the son will likely be awarded an honorary community citizen valor award for his quick thinking in saving his and his sisters life. (right, like we will ever see that in the lame stream media)
    Last edited by Trekker; 06-30-2010 at 08:15 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by LV XD9 View Post
    Oh, no. It was a fully automatic weapon. The kid was spraying suppressive fire while screaming back at his sister to "get to the choppa now!"
    Are you sure he was not also calling in an artillery barrage and an air strike while he was laying down suppressive fire so his sister could withdraw?

    Quote Originally Posted by LV XD9 View Post
    Do the reporters ever get the details right when a gun is involved? It's like they do it on purpose...

    Once in a great while they MIGHT get it right--but not too often. I would be more of the type who would say that the news is biased against firearms and has an anti-firearm agenda.....meaning they intentionally try to get it wrong in my opinion.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    ELW75 - I like it. It would be a nice touch to add; this family believes in teaching responsible gun ownership, safety and training. Firearm training that likely saved these two minors from two HOME INVADERS that commited a B&E in the WRONG household. <edit add> After the LE investigation is complete, the son will likely be awarded an honorary community citizen valor award for his quick thinking in saving his and his sisters life. (right, like we will ever see that in the lame stream media)
    +1

    I appreciate the adds and I think we would make a great editorial team!

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Dreamer insults rocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    SNIP The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.


    At least rocks are firm and unyielding in their opinions. Nothing like the consistent reliability in the qualities of a rock. Very, very difficult to shoot holes in the logic of a rock, too. Impenetrable logic, rocks got.
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-30-2010 at 10:22 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by elw75 View Post
    +1

    i appreciate the adds and i think we would make a great editorial team!
    hear hear!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Automatic rifle defends home

    Quick CC to Mayor Daley, a nice chicago child would be doa on the kitchen floor like a good little sheep.

    And still they say who needs one of these, obviously a child needed one of those.
    Left through the same broken window, I want to know if he changed his shorts before going to the hospital
    emergency room.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.
    They're both. They're stupid as rocks because they think that everyone will believe their spiel and they're intentionally duplicitous by making anything about guns and those who own/use them to be evil.

    They sicken me too.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Are you sure he was not also calling in an artillery barrage and an air strike while he was laying down suppressive fire so his sister could withdraw?
    What, and miss this golden opportunity to evoke Castle Doctrine and the right not to retreat?
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  17. #17
    Regular Member ooghost1oo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    So according to the media this kid used an "automatic rifle"--a MACHINE GUN--to defend himself?

    Obviously, the media covering this story has brown eyes (because they are absolutely full of BS).

    If this was REALLY an"automatic rifle", the BATFE would have IMMEDIATELY declared jurisdiction. The father AND the firearm would have been seized, and the father would have been required to prove he had his $200 permission stamp. Then there is the "transfer to a non-authorised person" issue, and the fact that it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to allow a Class 3 firearm to come into the possession of an unsupervised minor, or ANYONE who isn't either the owner or a member of the owing trust, without the knowledge and supervision of said owner.

    The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.

    Either option does not inspire confidence...

    It WAS an 'Automatic Rifle'. The rounds were automatically loaded into the chamber from a magazine.

  18. #18
    Regular Member ooghost1oo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Are you sure he was not also calling in an artillery barrage and an air strike while he was laying down suppressive fire so his sister could withdraw?
    Get to the choppa!!

  19. #19
    Regular Member American Traditional Citizens (ACT)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Detroit Metro Area, , USA
    Posts
    18

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    I think they are just negligent
    MEDIA:

    Machine gun = Anything capable of fully automatic fire.

    Automatic = Anything that auto-loads from a magazine, used in a favorable shooting

    Assault Rifle = same as Automatic, used in an unfavorable shooting.

    Why? Because they are too lazy or intimidated to learn what different types of weapons are. And there is a lot.

    Machine-pistol
    sub-machine-gun
    Short barreled rifle
    Carbine
    Auto-loading
    automatic
    semi-automatic
    full-automatic
    Pistol
    revolver
    direct gas impingement
    gas piston
    recoil operated
    Roller locked
    locked breech
    modified link-less browning
    etc etc.

    Second nature to us, yea. To them? It's like listening to a kid talk about computer ****.
    That is what I was thinking. Anything that looks like an AK-47 or AR-15 even if it is legal semi-auto.. to the media it looks like an 'assault weapon' therefore it is dangerous and should be taken away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •