• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teen Shoots would-be burglary suspect :)

ozzy0028

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7528124

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two would-be burglars are in police custody thanks to the quick actions of a 15-year-old.

One suspect is in jail, and the other is at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Investigators say they aren't sure whether the injured suspect is going to make it. He was shot in both his legs and face by a 15-year-old who detectives say feared for his and his sister's safety.

It happened at a home on Royal Place Court in northwest Harris County at around 2:30pm Tuesday.

"All he said was, 'Anybody seriously hurt?' and he said, 'Oh yeah, definitely,'" neighbor Renee Thompson said.

The blood on the driveway told a burglary-gone-bad story.

Deputies say the suspects broke into the home through a back window. From upstairs, the 15-year-old -- who was home with his 12-year-old sister -- heard the breaking glass and grabbed his father's automatic rifle. The burglary was soon over.

Family members rushed to the home, but the children's father, Vince Guerra, had beaten them all there. He's a Harris County Pct. 1 deputy constable and was on duty when it happened. No wonder his son knew what to do.

"We don't try to hide things from our children, and we try to give them a perspective about the way things are," Harris County Sheriff's Office Lt. Jeff Stauber said.

Within an hour, both suspects -- one adult and one juvenile -- were in custody; they were caught at a nearby hospital while seeking help.

The juvenile was brought back to the scene, where deputies checked him for evidence and collected the rifle.

Neighbors backed what the 15-year-old did.

"I'm really glad he was able to defend himself," Thompson said.

Investigators concluded the shooting was justified.

"As parents, we protect our kids, and as an older brother, he was protecting his sister and himself," Stauber said.

Neighbors say there have been recent burglaries in the neighborhood.

Investigators said that rifle was the personal weapon of the teen's father, the deputy constable. He's been with the constable's office for 11 years and is described as a good officer.

There were some questions about whether he'd be liable for the shooting since his son had easy access to the weapon, but ABC13's legal expert says that the 15-year-old's right to protect his home and sister trumps all child firearm access laws.

Dreamer

So according to the media this kid used an "automatic rifle"--a MACHINE GUN--to defend himself?

Obviously, the media covering this story has brown eyes (because they are absolutely full of BS).

If this was REALLY an"automatic rifle", the BATFE would have IMMEDIATELY declared jurisdiction. The father AND the firearm would have been seized, and the father would have been required to prove he had his $200 permission stamp. Then there is the "transfer to a non-authorised person" issue, and the fact that it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to allow a Class 3 firearm to come into the possession of an unsupervised minor, or ANYONE who isn't either the owner or a member of the owing trust, without the knowledge and supervision of said owner.

The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.

Either option does not inspire confidence...

LV XD9

Oh, no. It was a fully automatic weapon. The kid was spraying suppressive fire while screaming back at his sister to "get to the choppa now!" :banghead: :banana:

Do the reporters ever get the details right when a gun is involved? It's like they do it on purpose...

Kudos to the kid for protecting himself, his sister, and his home and kudos to the parents for teaching him how to safely operate the weapon in the first place.

So according to the media this kid used an "automatic rifle"--a MACHINE GUN--to defend himself?

Obviously, the media covering this story has brown eyes (because they are absolutely full of BS).

If this was REALLY an"automatic rifle", the BATFE would have IMMEDIATELY declared jurisdiction. The father AND the firearm would have been seized, and the father would have been required to prove he had his $200 permission stamp. Then there is the "transfer to a non-authorised person" issue, and the fact that it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to allow a Class 3 firearm to come into the possession of an unsupervised minor, or ANYONE who isn't either the owner or a member of the owing trust, without the knowledge and supervision of said owner.

The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.

Trekker

That the media got a story about guns wrong? You're kidding me.

Looked like the Sheriffs were bagging an AR15, I'm surprised the media didn't say, oh the boy used a scary looking black rifle.

This alarmed me even more:
<<There were some questions about whether he'd be liable for the shooting since his son had easy access to the weapon, but ABC13's legal expert says that the 15-year-old's right to protect his home and sister trumps all child firearm access laws. >>

Huh? Excuse me? The media implied since he had easy access to a weapon tha may have saved his and his sisters life, he may have done something wrong? Now I am sick.

simmonsjoe

I think they are just negligent
MEDIA:

Machine gun = Anything capable of fully automatic fire.

Automatic = Anything that auto-loads from a magazine, used in a favorable shooting

Assault Rifle = same as Automatic, used in an unfavorable shooting.

Why? Because they are too lazy or intimidated to learn what different types of weapons are. And there is a lot.

Machine-pistol
sub-machine-gun
Short barreled rifle
Carbine
Auto-loading
automatic
semi-automatic
full-automatic
Pistol
revolver
direct gas impingement
gas piston
recoil operated
Roller locked
locked breech
modified link-less browning
etc etc.

Second nature to us, yea. To them? It's like listening to a kid talk about computer ****.

Heartless_Conservative

Well to be fair, I've always heard 'automatic rifle' and 'automatic pistol' used to describe autoloading firearms. Remember that the 'acp' in .45acp means 'automatic colt pistol.'

ElW75

My edits to how the story should have been written:

Two would-be burglars are in police custody thanks to the quick actions of a 15-year-old.

One suspect is in jail, and the other is at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Investigators say they aren't sure whether the injured suspect is going to make it. He was shot in both his legs and face by a 15-year-old who detectives say feared for his and his sister's safety.

The blood on the driveway told a burglary-gone-bad story.

Deputies say the suspects broke into the home through a back window. From upstairs, the 15-year-old -- who was home with his 12-year-old sister -- heard the breaking glass and grabbed his father's rifle. The burglary was soon over.

Within an hour, both suspects -- one adult and one juvenile -- were in custody; they were caught at a nearby hospital while seeking help.

The juvenile was brought back to the scene, where deputies checked him for evidence and collected the rifle.

Neighbors backed what the 15-year-old did.

"I'm really glad he was able to defend himself," Thompson said.

Investigators concluded the shooting was justified.

Neighbors say there have been recent burglaries in the neighborhood. After this incident, we are assuming criminals will avoid that area in the near future.

Investigators said that rifle was the personal weapon of the teen's father, the deputy constable. He's been with the constable's office for 11 years and is described as a good officer and a good father.

His parents should be proud of the the 15-year-old's quick actions and clear thinking, he is a credit to his family and the community.

Trekker

ELW75 - I like it. It would be a nice touch to add; this family believes in teaching responsible gun ownership, safety and training. Firearm training that likely saved these two minors from two HOME INVADERS that commited a B&E in the WRONG household. <edit add> After the LE investigation is complete, the son will likely be awarded an honorary community citizen valor award for his quick thinking in saving his and his sisters life. (right, like we will ever see that in the lame stream media)

Last edited:

suntzu

Oh, no. It was a fully automatic weapon. The kid was spraying suppressive fire while screaming back at his sister to "get to the choppa now!" :banghead: :banana:

Are you sure he was not also calling in an artillery barrage and an air strike while he was laying down suppressive fire so his sister could withdraw?

Do the reporters ever get the details right when a gun is involved? It's like they do it on purpose...

Once in a great while they MIGHT get it right--but not too often. I would be more of the type who would say that the news is biased against firearms and has an anti-firearm agenda.....meaning they intentionally try to get it wrong in my opinion.

ElW75

ELW75 - I like it. It would be a nice touch to add; this family believes in teaching responsible gun ownership, safety and training. Firearm training that likely saved these two minors from two HOME INVADERS that commited a B&E in the WRONG household. <edit add> After the LE investigation is complete, the son will likely be awarded an honorary community citizen valor award for his quick thinking in saving his and his sisters life. (right, like we will ever see that in the lame stream media)

+1

I appreciate the adds and I think we would make a great editorial team!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Dreamer insults rocks

SNIP The media makes me sick... They are either stupid as a box of rocks, or they are intentionally duplicitous.

:)

At least rocks are firm and unyielding in their opinions. Nothing like the consistent reliability in the qualities of a rock. Very, very difficult to shoot holes in the logic of a rock, too. Impenetrable logic, rocks got.

Last edited:

SlackwareRobert

Automatic rifle defends home

Quick CC to Mayor Daley, a nice chicago child would be doa on the kitchen floor like a good little sheep.

And still they say who needs one of these, obviously a child needed one of those.
Left through the same broken window, I want to know if he changed his shorts before going to the hospital
emergency room.

Huck

They're both. They're stupid as rocks because they think that everyone will believe their spiel and they're intentionally duplicitous by making anything about guns and those who own/use them to be evil.

They sicken me too.

ooghost1oo

It WAS an 'Automatic Rifle'. The rounds were automatically loaded into the chamber from a magazine.

I think they are just negligent
MEDIA:

Machine gun = Anything capable of fully automatic fire.

Automatic = Anything that auto-loads from a magazine, used in a favorable shooting

Assault Rifle = same as Automatic, used in an unfavorable shooting.

Why? Because they are too lazy or intimidated to learn what different types of weapons are. And there is a lot.

Machine-pistol
sub-machine-gun
Short barreled rifle
Carbine
Auto-loading
automatic
semi-automatic
full-automatic
Pistol
revolver
direct gas impingement
gas piston
recoil operated
Roller locked
locked breech
modified link-less browning
etc etc.

Second nature to us, yea. To them? It's like listening to a kid talk about computer ****.

That is what I was thinking. Anything that looks like an AK-47 or AR-15 even if it is legal semi-auto.. to the media it looks like an 'assault weapon' therefore it is dangerous and should be taken away.