• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Holster to Conceal Sig 229

Otto

The title pretty much says it all... Just looking for opinions on which will give the optimal concealment.

ElW75

Check out Comp Tac, you won't be disappointed. They have the standard CTac (Kydex) and the Minataur (Kydex with leather against your skin. Put in your gun, carry style, and any bells and whistles and it will come to your house a few weeks later. Best part, they give you a 30-day trial and return guarantee, though I don't know anyone who has returned one.

Bo

For IWB carry, I find the Milt Sparks VM-2 (a classic IWB design) is the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever used (if you don't want to wait six months, check out the Lightning Arms or Top Gun Supply websites).

For OWB, hands-down, the Kramer Belt Scabbard, a pure pancake design made of horsehide that holds your pistol close to the body and lasts forever.

simmonsjoe

Check out Comp Tac, you won't be disappointed. They have the standard CTac (Kydex) and the Minataur (Kydex with leather against your skin. Put in your gun, carry style, and any bells and whistles and it will come to your house a few weeks later. Best part, they give you a 30-day trial and return guarantee, though I don't know anyone who has returned one.
He is right. This is one of the best IWB holsters available from a purely concealment view. I have CC'd my gov't 1911 WITH MY SHIRT TUCKED IN on many occasions.

Please know your 229 is heavy and fat. It is so large, your regular pants may not fit. Comfortable daily CC will not be possible. There is only so much you can do. It would be more comfortable with a vest/jacket in an OWB rig. Also you will need a gun belt. Not one of those nylon jobs, but a very heavy bull hide belt. Try www.thebeltman.com

For a spare mag, you can get a horizontal OWB completely enclosed pouch. Nobody will be able to tell what it is. It'll look like a leatherman or cell phone.

Please note buying all the gear and clothing to go with your IWB waistband is an investment. One that I made. Now when I CC I carry a .380 in my pocket. easy, light, goes with any clothing, comfortable. As far as I'm concerned big guns are for OC 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Michigander

Concealment is really more of an art form than a system that stays the same person to person, so there is always a lot of information that I think should be taken into account when suggesting holsters.

Concealing full size guns even for a short and skinny person is possible, but you need to take into account body shape and size, the type of clothes, physical movements/types of activities to be conducted while carrying, and just how deep of concealment you want or need. Speed comfort and concealability are things you generally can't have all of, and concealment needs of a business executive in a suit will be different than the needs of chef or a construction worker.

That said, with the itty bitty bit of information stated, for deep concealment I'd suggest a cell pal and probably a size or 2 larger pants. http://www.concealedcomfort.com/

Last edited:

daddy4count

my IWB rig is a DeSantis... I love it. Full size XD45, I'm 5'10 and 170lbs, it hides easily under a light shirt.

Best advice for concealed carry... get a GOOD belt. Spend as much (or more) on a stiff, reinforced, leather belt as you do on your holster. The difference in stability is unmistakable.

For OC it isn't as big a deal... but if you're trying to conceal your gun the last thing you want is for it to be flopping about on a flimsy belt.

230therapy

Rather than look only at brands and models, look for attributes.

The P229 is a tall gun at 5.5" (though I think that includes the sights). This means the grip will tend to print a bit more unless you are a "thick" person (which can be an advantage for concealment). Consequently, the holster needs to have forward cant to mitigate the grip sticking out.

Inside-the-waistband holsters hold the gun closer to the body. Outside the waistband holsters are more comfortable, but are higher profile by virtue of being wider.

The height of the gun in relation to the belt is important. If it's too high, it will flop around when you move quickly and be difficult to draw (try starting the draw in your armpit). Too low and the muzzle will stick out from under jackets. In the case of IWB holsters, the holster will rub against the rump area of the pants. When you sit, the pressure will cause the gun to rock back and the grip will print.

Thumb straps reduce concealability since they stick out above the gun.

Straps that sit on the face of the holster make the holster wider by the closed dimensions of the snap. Split loops enhance concealability by making the overall thickness less at the expense of convenience (some pants may have loops in the wrong locations, such as 511 pants).

Belt slots need to be adjustable or your belt must fit the slots. Otherwise, the weight of the gun will cause it to rock back and forth.

The holster should be molded to the model of the gun. This will reduce noise since it fits properly.

Stitches should be countersunk below the surface of the leather. Otherwise, the gun will wear on the thread, causing tears and eventual unstitching.

The finish should match your belt's color. Don't be a goof and walk around with a brown holster and a black belt.

Last edited:

heresyourdipstickjimmy

The title pretty much says it all... Just looking for opinions on which will give the optimal concealment.

I agree with what's already been posted. A Crossbreed Supertuck wouldn't be a bad option either. Just remember with a 229 you will need a sturdy belt to help support the weight of the firearm.

Drop me a line should you find a need for a Blackhawk Serpa for your 229.

markand

I've carried a P229 concealed for several years

I tried carrying IWB, but came to the conclusion that it was just too uncomfortable. If you go the IWB route, you will have to get a quality holster, I liked my Milt Sparks holster, and pants that are a size or two larger than you would otherwise wear. I also have used a belly band as an IWB holster, but still found IWB to be uncomfortable. You might find otherwise.

I now carry the P229 in a Blackhawk CQC belt holster. I did find that an EXTREMELY stiff belt was far more comfortable than I thought it would be. I've been very happy with belts from AKJ Concealco (www.concealco.com). Their belts consist of a metal or plastic band between 2 layers of leather. They don't stretch, don't twist, and don't sag. I've owned 2 in the last 10 years. There wasn't anything wrong with the first one, it just got, well, too small. Their belt page is at: http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACL&Category_Code=054BELT

For most business and casual wear in cool to cold weather (for me, October to April here in Northern VA) I can easily conceal the gun, cell phone, flashlight and 2 magazines under a polar fleece sweater/pullover. As long as you keep the garment loose and not form-fitting, you should have no problem. Nice and warm, too. In warmer weather, a vest or jacket conceals everything very well. In hot weather, casual attire consists of an untucked shirt, which also covers very effectively.

For really deep concealment, the belly band is a tolerable form of IWB carry for me, given that the pants are a size or 2 larger. Not as fast to deploy if the gun is needed, however. Re-holstering is kind of tricky as well. I've also carried a smaller P230 in a pocket holster. Put your hand in the pocket, grip the gun and you're ready to go.

drgntkd

The P229 is a tall gun at 5.5" (though I think that includes the sights). This means the grip will tend to print a bit more unless you are a "thick" person (which can be an advantage for concealment). Consequently, the holster needs to have forward cant to mitigate the grip sticking out.

Not completeley true. I have found that my P229 prints less now that I have shed some weight. I have dropped 10 inches in my waist and I find it much easier to conceal my weapon now than it used to be. I use a Galco IWB. I sit it at about 4 Oclock. It took a bit to get used to but just like everything else you need to find what is compfortable to you.

I think the most important attribute you need to ask is:

Can I use this easily?
Will I use this?

If you cant answer those 2 questions then either the gun is wrong or the holster is. Then when you have decided you need to empty your weapon and practice the draw. Get used to it so it becomes second nature.

Last edited:

holeinhead

I just got my Crossbreed Supertuck for my XD45 (5 in barrel, compact grip). It's late, so I just tried it on real quick

HOLY COW!!!! By far the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever worn! I used a DeSantis Tuck-this holster before, and this Crossbreed one is leaps and bounds more comfortable! It's adjustable for ride height and cant as well. Definitely recommend checking these guys out!

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

bullseye

Campaign Veteran
Open Carry :cough, cough: :D

But for the times one needs to conceal, I have a Galco Royal Guard IWB (model RG250). It's made of horsehide, if you have a preference. Horsehide does tends to be be more expensive, and I'm more than satisfied with it in this holster. The horse vs. cowhide debate can be found all over the internet. I've been happy with both materials in the past. I found mine new on ebay for $50 years ago.

Youtube review of a Royal Guard holster

Edit: Ebay currently has a un-used, display model listed for $49.99 starting bid (0 bids). It's a RG250 which is the right handed P229 model.

Last edited:

cbpeck

Take a serious look at Tucker Gun Leather: www.tuckergunleather.com

Their Texas Heritage and The Answer are both excellent IWB holster designs. I carry a Texas Heritage most days.

Tucker used to have a ridiculous backlog, but I believe they've whittled this down to a reasonable time period.