• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IMPORTANT: your conduct while OCing.

stainless1911

Banned
As far as SA, I usually see the security, police, and OCers before they see me. I tend to notice things like lost money, Ive found almost 20$ up there, as well as lost packages. I look in each store as I walk by, and one of my favorite pastimes is to notice those people who see you and either pretend they diddnt, or try to hide the fact that they saw the gun at all.

DetroitBiker

27ybthd.jpg

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I can be a little standoffish. As far as being "not all there in the head", there is a lot of folks out there who think that about those who carry guns concealed, but when we OC, they think we are completely psycho. Comes with the territory.

1245A Defender

promoting Open Carry!

Couldn't agree more.

I dont feel that I have an attitude, nor do I snarl at people. Folks have said that about me before, even years before I carried. Its not how I feel inside, but some people perceive things differently I guess. If I came off wrong, then I apologize that wasnt my intent.

You need to be more conscious of the image you are projecting. The thigh rig makes a pretty bold statement on its own. In addition to that you add an admitted aggressive stance/appearance(although not intentional) and you are likley to scare people. The fact you are up at GLX virtually daily, how many people are coming away with a bad impression of OCers? Please take this as food for thought and not a criticism.

Thigh rigs are good because everyone knows you're open carrying. There is no question about it unless you're wearing a knee length coat or a sleep shirt. Especially important and necessary if you've been accused in the past of concealing...

I would like to say thanks for bringing this up. I really do care how people see me, and what they think of me. Ill try to make some adjustments.
I started carrying in a leg drop so that there was no mistaking my OC for CC. And because I felt that I was targeted as an OCer, which led to the charge. The leg drop was a way to assert my rights a little more loudly. I lost my CPL because I was falsely accused of CC when I wasn't, and I didn't want any more confusion, especially during my suspension.

I watch people pretty closely, and try to carry myself confidently while OC. Perhaps I overdid it. Never did trust people, maybe it shows, Ill be giving this issue a lot of thought, and will do what I can to correct this issue.

Thats what I was thinking.
If this is the image I was portraying, then I cant figure why it wasnt pointed out to me before. Im down there a lot, I see and talk to lots of people. I make eye contact, and smile at people given the opportunity. When security sees me, they usually greet me by my first name. Im open to constructive criticism though, and will simply better myself through it. Perhaps it was someone else, but when I hear GLX and a leg drop, I made the assumption that it was me.

It was a cautious assumption I made as a result of this thread. I diddnt think I was coming off as anything but confident and professional. If someone said something like this, then I feel its a responsibility to do some self evaluation and make sure that I am portraying OC appropriately. I carry myself in a confident manner. I Want people to approach me so that I can discuss OC with them. And frankly, I would like to meet someone, so I act and dress accordingly.

As far as SA, I usually see the security, police, and OCers before they see me. I tend to notice things like lost money, Ive found almost 20$ up there, as well as lost packages. I look in each store as I walk by, and one of my favorite pastimes is to notice those people who see you and either pretend they diddnt, or try to hide the fact that they saw the gun at all.

:banghead:

I can be a little standoffish. As far as being "not all there in the head", there is a lot of folks out there who think that about those who carry guns concealed, but when we OC, they think we are completely psycho. Comes with the territory.

no one should promote OC by OCing!
i never OC in public, unless i NEED to be in public!
anybody that straps up, just so they can go out in public, just so they can show the public, that OC is OK should stop!
strap up, go shopping, LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE DO, and go home.
any other activity is SHOW BOATING!
show boating hurts the OC movement more than it helps,
some people will get the word and start excersizing their 2A right to self defense, and thats a good thing.
Very many people will be quite put-off, or worried, that someone with a gun is just wandering around in the mall,
trying to get people to look at him, or paying too much attention to who went in which store, and thats a bad thing.
Do us all a favor.....carefully rethink your day to day activities,,, all of us..

infidel4life

+1

I'm having a hard time believing this. Either 1)it didn't happen, 2)your friend's perception was incorrect (perception errors do happen actually more frequently than you would guess), or 3)GLX security wasn't on the job. I was once asked to leave by GLX security (and I left) while OC'ing and standing in line with my grandson in my arms waiting for Easter Bunny pictures, merely because they got one call from someone who saw me open carrying who was "questioning" OC legality (the person didn't even state they were afraid or felt threatened). Every time I've been to GLX, security is walking around and I've never gone more than two minutes without seeing at least one. So, while the third possibility is possible, it doesn't strike me as likely. IF there was this aggressive OC'er walking about the mall, security would be on him like white on rice and they have a hair trigger when it comes to removal.

Video, or it didn't happen.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
no one should promote OC by OCing!
i never OC in public, unless i NEED to be in public!
anybody that straps up, just so they can go out in public, just so they can show the public, that OC is OK should stop!
strap up, go shopping, LIKE REGULAR PEOPLE DO, and go home.
any other activity is SHOW BOATING!
show boating hurts the OC movement more than it helps,
some people will get the word and start excersizing their 2A right to self defense, and thats a good thing.
Very many people will be quite put-off, or worried, that someone with a gun is just wandering around in the mall,
trying to get people to look at him, or paying too much attention to who went in which store, and thats a bad thing.
Do us all a favor.....carefully rethink your day to day activities,,, all of us..

Dude are you seriously trolling? Ppl OC everyday to either promote OC or they want to to exercise their 2nd amendment right...yes i can see that a thigh rig is kinda excessive but still...

Attachments

• DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
    DontFeedTheTroll.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

1245A Defender

srsly trolling?

heck no!!
i OC every where...
i buy groceries, i go to the library, gas station, etc etc!!!
i go to meet ups for breakfasts with friends, BBQs with my fellows, anywhere, everywhere, normal people woud do normal things.
i never OC and go out, just to EXPOSE my firearm to the people out in the world.

GO out, OC, everywhere, all the time,!
As long as you are out Going about the normal business, just like all the other people,
then it can all be good.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
heck no!!
i OC every where...
i buy groceries, i go to the library, gas station, etc etc!!!
i go to meet ups for breakfasts with friends, BBQs with my fellows, anywhere, everywhere, normal people woud do normal things.
i never OC and go out, just to EXPOSE my firearm to the people out in the world.

GO out, OC, everywhere, all the time,!
As long as you are out Going about the normal business, just like all the other people,
then it can all be good.

ok then i misread yer post...my bad...so yer saying that a drop rig is too excessive?

1245A Defender

srsly trolling?

ok then i misread yer post...my bad...so yer saying that a drop rig is too excessive?

im on an open forum, no need to hide the conversations in PMs.
do you wonder if IM saying a drop rig is excessive?
NO!

i do not prefer that rig.
i DONT think they are bad.
if you want to normalize OC, discretely carrying would be the way to go, so as not to scream ( Ive got a gun).

BUT, if your just standing around, eyeing the folks, they are more pronounced and (intimidating) than a regular holster.

FatboyCykes

I see your point, I don't necessarily agree with it, heck, by your definitions, our OC picnics are showboating. The question is, would Stainless be at the mall every other day if he couldn't OC, or didn't know about OC, and my feeling is that he probably would be. He's stated several times that he's there a lot for whatever reasons (picking up chicks?). So the question is, is he really "showboating" or is he, like you, just OCing while going about his daily business, I think it's the latter.

1245A Defender

OC to OC

I see your point, I don't necessarily agree with it, heck, by your definitions, our OC picnics are showboating. The question is, would Stainless be at the mall every other day if he couldn't OC, or didn't know about OC, and my feeling is that he probably would be. He's stated several times that he's there a lot for whatever reasons (picking up chicks?). So the question is, is he really "showboating" or is he, like you, just OCing while going about his daily business, I think it's the latter.

shopping and being out in the world can include, id like to meet, new people, girls, nice folk,,

BUT to make it a plan is going over the top.

to OC while at a picnic is normal stuff, same for pan cackes, or a meet.

cmdr_iceman71

and one of my favorite pastimes is to notice those people who see you and either pretend they diddnt, or try to hide the fact that they saw the gun at all.

That's also one of my favorite pastimes, that always gives me an inner chuckle. But then I take it to the next level and pretend that I didnt just see them gawk or do a double take (as if it wasnt me they were looking at).

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
It's all about projecting a positive image - you are judged fairly or not by others!

I wear a leg drop holster. Why - since my county (Wayne) is one of the slowest in the state to issue CPLs it is the best way to avoid any issues. I am aware that the rig my look aggressive and that is why I go out of my way to project a positive image to others (not phony...just upbeat). We all judge people within seconds of seeing them...it is not right and wise people tell them selves "is what I see..really what it is?" Wisdom with many today is in short supply. This is why it is important to put your best image forward in public. If I "feel" angry than it shows. If am happy than that shows too. ;) You can be SA and still project the image of a nice guy/gal just going about their daily business.

We are all under the microscope for now...we all should know this and act accordingly, if we do in short order we may never need to worry about this again as OC becomes as normal as walking around with a cell phone on our hip (a very dangerous tool in the hands of a fool also). LOL

infidel4life

I like this thread. However I think everyone missed one major point. Personal Hygiene. Clothes that a bum wouldn't wear. The only reason I say this is do to a recent news video in regards to OC in Taylor ,Michigan which was aired on one of the news channels. One guy was really looking ruff. Regardless of medical issue's or may be lack of income. I really do not see a need to present yourself in a public venue looking like you just got off the hobo train.

American Boy With a Gun

I like this thread. However I think everyone missed one major point. Personal Hygiene. Clothes that a bum wouldn't wear. The only reason I say this is do to a recent news video in regards to OC in Taylor ,Michigan which was aired on one of the news channels. One guy was really looking ruff. Regardless of medical issue's or may be lack of income. I really do not see a need to present yourself in a public venue looking like you just got off the hobo train.

Out of simple curiosity, why should ones looks impede his rights to self defense? Everyone seems to think that you have to look pretty in order to carry a gun. Well, personally, i think thats BS. Even if someone looks like he "just got off the hobo train." he (or she for that matter) has a god given right to self defense. This topic has been discussed before, and it still annoys the hell outta me.

stainless1911

Banned
Last April I quit smoking, my health was poor, and I needed to do something about it. Badly. As a 2-3 pack a day smoker, I had gotten to the point where I couldnt get up the stairs. I started OCing around the trailer park for exercise, but the manager freaked out and put the kabash on that. So I thought of GLX. I had OCed there before and after the CPL, but once the suspension took effect, I had fewer places that I could go, so I "adopted" the mall. Its great exercise, sometimes I go because Im bored, I like to look at the girls, and it allowed me to do a lot of OC promo work there. It even led to MOC being able to do the OC seminars up there, which will now soon be a regularly scheduled event. I just hope MOC lets me participate in the future events.