• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alright, For all the law junkies out there, quick question

American Boy With a Gun

Okay, so im pretty sure purchasing a pistol for someone other than yourself from an FFL is a straw purchase. Thats not the point here, so dont post your argument on the subject. Question is, is it legal, and clearly so, to have someone purchase a firearm in a private sale for me? The ONLY reason i wouldnt be doing so myself would be because i do not have a MI state ID yet and cannot get my permit till i do. However, can i have a family member, or one of you fine gentlemen/ladies purchase it for me, hold it for a few weeks till i get ID, then have you gift it to me? I, of course, giving you the funds to pay for the firearm.....

DanM

Okay, so im pretty sure purchasing a pistol for someone other than yourself from an FFL is a straw purchase. . . . Question is, is it legal, and clearly so, to have someone purchase a firearm in a private sale for me?

Incorrect on the first statement. It is legal to purchase a pistol for someone else, either from an FFL or private seller, so long as each transfer is done legally. "Straw purchase" means one or more transfers is not done legally.

I may legally purchase a firearm from either an FFL or private seller as long as the seller and I have all our legal paperwork in order and we follow all other legal requirements to the transfer. I may then one second, one minute, one hour, one day, etc. later sell or gift it to another person, so long as that person and I have all our legal paperwork in order and we follow all other legal requirements to our transfer.

Straw purchase means a legal transfer was then followed at some time by an illegal transfer. That is all. As long as all transfers followed the laws applicable to each transfer, all is well.

Yooper

It's legal, provided you're legal. Especially here in MI with our Permit to Purchase scheme, you're getting a "Permit to Purchase", not a Permit to loan, or a permit to acquire a gift :p

Recoil88

It is only a straw purchase if say i buy a gun for a known felon.Because he cant legally own one so if a person who cannot own a gun gives me money and i buy it then give it to them that is an example of a straw purchase. There used to be billboards for straw purchases around Macomb County at one time.

Bronson

Have you fired one or one similar to it? If not how do you know you'll like it let alone want it?

There have been many guns that I thought would be great, until I picked them up and realized they didn't fit me. I've almost bought guns that felt great in my hand, until I shot them and realized I hated it.

Bronson

American Boy With a Gun

Have you fired one or one similar to it? If not how do you know you'll like it let alone want it?

There have been many guns that I thought would be great, until I picked them up and realized they didn't fit me. I've almost bought guns that felt great in my hand, until I shot them and realized I hated it.

Bronson

No, i havent, anyone know a range near me that would rent me a beretta? Or, anyone near me that has one and wouldnt mind letting me shoot it?

eastmeyers

I'm so sure its legal I will post here what I did. I was used to Hazel Park PP (5 minutes) that when I went with my girlfriend to Clawson PD to get hers and it took 12-24 hours. Well we made an agreement with a serviceman that was leaving for post to purchuse his firearm, so we left Clawson PD, I purchesed his pistol via my CPL, went back to Clawson PD in the am and I sold it to her 12 hours later when she picked up her PP. Did that make sense?
:dude:
All legal beagel, and it wal Clawson PDs idea.