• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question

Bat Out of Hell

I was wondering is it legal to open carry in a post office I have trying to find a answer and have found several different ones. People mail long guns through the mail to have them repaired by the manufacturer for example so I was just curious about open carry.

Thanks

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Quick answer. Things seem a little murky. Federal statutes and post office regulations apply. One general prohibition makes an exception for "other lawful uses". A fella would think that self-defense is a lawful reason to carry. But, a fella would be wise to wonder if government enforcers would feel the same way.

Bottom line: No one has been willing to be a test case.

Last edited:

Bat Out of Hell

Are people who bring a gun in to have it shipped off breaking the law? Or is there a exemption? Lol on the quick answer!

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Are people who bring a gun in to have it shipped off breaking the law? Or is there a exemption? Lol on the quick answer!

I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable on this exact point. Will have to wait for someone who knows what they are talking about and can post the text of the regulation.

flb_78

Federal law allows us to ship long guns through the USPS, but they must be cased and unloaded. I would not open carry into a post office unless I personally knew the post master and knew their personal views because they'll be the ones calling the police.

Generally speaking though, Federal laws prohibit the carrying of firearms into Federal buildings. The USPS is a government sponsored entity and would most likely fall under that rule.

neuroblades

Federal law allows us to ship long guns through the USPS, but they must be cased and unloaded. I would not open carry into a post office unless I personally knew the post master and knew their personal views because they'll be the ones calling the police.

Generally speaking though, Federal laws prohibit the carrying of firearms into Federal buildings. The USPS is a government sponsored entity and would most likely fall under that rule.

My best friend's Dad was a Postmaster, I'll have to inquire of him, he's also holds a CCDW as well. I'll get back to you folks on this one.