• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would You Help A Stranger?

infidel4life

Under specific circumstances, Michigan law authorizes Concealed Pistol License (CPL) holders to defend other "third persons" who are in imminent jeopardy of severe bodily harm and/or sexual assault. This article will explore the potential ramifications of "getting involved" in a violent confrontation.

A person who is being assaulted by a criminal knows with absolute certainty that he is in imminent danger. In this situation, there is no confusion from the victim's perspective as to what is happening. Onlookers to an assault may not be sure of what is happening, which of the persons involved is the victim, and what actions caused the incident to happen. Uncertainty, a desire not to get involved, and a fear of being harmed are factors that lead to inaction by witnesses

stainless1911

Banned
If it became necessary to help someone, I would. I couldn't just stand by and watch, or walk away. That just wouldn't be right. I'm not saying that people should try to be a hero or anything, that's dangerous, but how would you feel if you were in need? How would you feel later knowing you could have done something, and didn't?

office888

Depends on the situation.

Is the attacker unarmed?
Is the victim unarmed?
Does it look like the victim has things under control?
Is there more than one attacker?

If the victim has no chance to fight back, and looks like severe bodily harm may be caused, then yes, I'll step in "at the ready".

If the attacker is armed, and the victim isn't, I'm condition zero with my gun drawn, and the attacker's next action MUST be to drop the weapon and/or retreat. If I'm approached with a weapon and I feel as though my safety is at stake, I'm firing.

-Richard-

malignity

I have no intentions on going out of my way to be a hero under virtually any circumstances. I will however say that if I came across someone in need and did nothing, I would not be able to live with the guilt. I would absolutely do everything in my power to help them.

It reminds me of this story that happened a few months ago. Completely disgusting.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/artic...-new-york-hero-hugo-alfredo-tale-yax/19452892
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/24/hugo-alfredo-tale-yax-doz_n_550854.html

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

The scenario that disturbs or haunts me most is the wife/girlfriend who plays out a rape fantasy in a public place such as a secluded area of a park at night, with her husband or boyfriend. And because the park is closed and no one is around, she’s really gotten into character hollering and screaming "No!" "Stop!" while appearing to fight back (flailing her arms and kicking).

The mock rape is in full progress. Digital penetration is occurring.

And here comes a well meaning armed law-abiding citizen responding to her screams.

Gentlemen, you may write your own ending. lol

Last edited:

erb

The scenario that disturbs or haunts me most is the wife/girlfriend who plays out a rape fantasy in a public place such as a secluded area of a park at night, with her husband or boyfriend. And because the park is closed and no one is around, she’s really gotten into character hollering and screaming "No!" "Stop!" while appearing to fight back (flailing her arms and kicking).

The mock rape is in full progress. Digital penetration is occurring.

And here comes a well meaning armed law-abiding citizen responding to her screams.

Gentlemen, you may write your own ending. lol

Yep.

I would have to determine if the victim is in fact innocent. Not always so easy to do in a slit second, or even minutes.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24042319/detail.html

This one seems pretty easy tho. ^
An armed robbery - they do understand they're putting their life on the line for under $100, right?

Last edited:

infidel4life

What does a CPL have to do with anything?

Well from a legal stand point a Michigan CPL holder is trained by state standards and thus qualified to carry a pistol. Therefore if a shooting should occur a cpl holder vs. a non cpl holder would have a far better chance defending himself/herself in court.

In your case a prior CPL holder who has had his CPL revoked might have a difficult time in court. Regardless of the situation. I could see the court some how trying to use the CPL revocation to implement criminal charges against you in regards to the said shooting. PA's are very good at what they do and will use whatever they can against you. You of all people and your history should know from personal experience just how manipulative , persuasive and diligent PA's can be.

stainless1911

Banned
As far as the mock rape goes, thats not all that difficult really. Suppressing the knee jerk reaction to shoot the guy might be, but thats self control. My CPL instructor made it very clear to loudly yell STOP as you draw your weapon. For various reasons. If its a boyfreind, he will more than likely stop, an assailant wouldnt, or he would run, or challenge you. A boyfreind may challenge you at first as a reflex, but seeing you are armed will stand down. In any case, you have drawn the weapon, so you should be on the phone with 911, and let the police determine the relationship between the couple, and take appropriate actions as they see fit.

Michigander

That depends. In Michigan or another state where people are sort of free or actually free and don't typically suffer from an idiotic victim mindset of thinking self defense is a government issue, and allow police and government to walk all over them, then yes, I will help a stranger if the need comes up. My life would be in added danger, but the laws in place make it easier to steer clear of prison time and other problems.

If I'm in a non free state or place occupied by largely idiot residents and a criminal government, such as California or Maryland, and I'm carrying a legal or not means of self defense, I'm probably not going to bother intervening on anyone elses behalf, I'd just be out to protect me and people I know. The very fact someone would live in one of these places and not have with them a means to protect themselves already suggests that they are fools who don't feel their lives are worth protecting. Again, this defines a victim mindset of believing the government takes care of safety, because government is superior to individual freedom. To jump in and try to protect a person this stupid would make me vulnerable not only to the assailant(s), but to the actions of a criminal government. Bernard Goetz did a year in prison if I remember right, and I'm not willing to do a year for someone I don't know who is foolish enough to be in that situation to begin with. Potentially deadly prison time and life altering/ruining felony convictions are not worth doing for an idiot I don't even know.

stainless1911

Banned
Similar to what Michigander said, it depends where Im at. If I were in a PFZ, except a school, and something happened, I doubt I would intervene. I have the mindset that if you chose to have a gun free zone, lets see how that works out for you. If you have asked me to conceal or leave, then you are on your own.

eastmeyers

I think its pretty much there in black and white? If a person is getting beat down on the street would you as CPL holder intervene?
:confused:
A CPL has nothing to do with anything. Period. The Self Defense Act (309) of 2006 MCL780.972 does not mention anywhere needing a CPL. As for your wack-job-theory of having to defend yourself and having a harder time because you don't have a CPL, I rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, also I think that the theroretical person you saved would make a compelling witness.
:lol:

Bronson

I think that the theroretical person you saved would make a compelling witness.

Reminds me of a story......

It was a long time ago and I've long since lost contact with the people involved. A girl I went to school with had a firefigher/EMT for a dad. He was sued by a woman whose life he saved by giving her an emergency tracheotomy. She was a catalog model and she contended that the small scar on her neck ruined her carreer. If I remember correctly the judge was incensed and threw it out.

Bronson