• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would You Help A Stranger?

lapeer20m

i help people all the time. I changed a tire on a car for a lady along side the road not too long ago. I also gave a complete stranger a ride home from home depot because he couldn't get his motorcycle started.

i think i agree with another post here that it depends on location. I would help a stranger out who was about to or in the middle of being attacked with great bodily harm depending on where i was. In my home town, or one of the small rural towns around here, no problem. Down in Detroit, or even Flint, I am way out of my element. It would be far more uncomfortable and dangerous to attempt to protect some stranger while in the ghetto.

eastmeyers

i help people all the time. I changed a tire on a car for a lady along side the road not too long ago. I also gave a complete stranger a ride home from home depot because he couldn't get his motorcycle started.

i think i agree with another post here that it depends on location. I would help a stranger out who was about to or in the middle of being attacked with great bodily harm depending on where i was. In my home town, or one of the small rural towns around here, no problem. Down in Detroit, or even Flint, I am way out of my element. It would be far more uncomfortable and dangerous to attempt to protect some stranger while in the ghetto.

I would be far more in my element. I know I am right with god and know where I am going when I die, so if I see someone to the point of severe bodily harm, and I can do something about it, in the hoods of Detroit (which I happen to know very well, so not out of my element at all) then you darn well better believe I am their. Now if my buddy is being chased by a bear, I dunno... :confused:

NHCGRPR45

well, these are all good talking points. my stance is this, do un to others as you would have them do unto you. this is above all else a personal decision that you should have thought out well before something like this happens to you. yes MI law allows for another to defend another life with everything up to and includeing deadly force. i have put a lot of thought into this because this has happened to me, i'll get to that later. some fundemental questions i have asked myself are.
am i willing to
lose my freedom, suffer great bodily harm, risk being sued, be killed, for a stranger whos back story you can't have any foreknowledge of. what ifs are a very valid way to pre-plan a response to something you see to be a threat, not only to yourself, but someone you don't know. are you really willing to risk everything you have for a stranger? it's a tough question, with no easy answer.
so will i risk absolutely everything to protect someone i don't know. my base answer is yes, however there is a "but" circumstances will dictate my response. will i jump into the middle of a fight with 2 equal sized guys? no. will i stop a fight between a man beating a woman. yes.
and thats what happened when i was in a grocery store in my city. i was shopping late for my mom when a very large man and a very petite woman walked into the store the guy was yelling at the woman and calling her ver degrading names, i decided to follow at a distance the guy was over 6 feet the woman maybe 5 feet. this calmed down a bit so i walked off and finnished up shopping i didn't see them again until i was in the parking lot. he was again yelling at her, then he gave her a round house punch to the face. i looked around and saw several people who were looking at what i had just saw one appeared to be calling 911 so i walked around my car and yelled to the man to stop. i wanted his attention on me not her. he started in my direction, i again said stop and put a car between him and myself, and placed my hand on my weapon. he said come out from behind the car so he could "F.... me up" the to which i said the police have been called stop where you are, he kept coming around the car so i backed up to the next one, we did this 2 times total until police arrived and arrested the man.
my plan had been to keep his attention on me and to distance him from her, i had good cover and plenty of witnesses, plus i was fairly certain that i had help on the way. i don't believe he ever saw my weapon, and was thankful that he didn't produce one. in diffrent circumstances things could have gone very badly, for everyone involved. would i do it again, yes "but"
no matter what you can't escape the
1. "what if's" and the
2. "but"
ask yourself what you would do, and do it before it happens, never react, only ACT! this should come as no great stretch of intellingence for those of us who carry a weapon for self defense. IMO
stay safe!
shaun

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll

under specific circumstances, michigan law authorizes concealed pistol license (cpl) holders to defend other "third persons" who are in imminent jeopardy of severe bodily harm and/or sexual assault. This article will explore the potential ramifications of "getting involved" in a violent confrontation.

A person who is being assaulted by a criminal knows with absolute certainty that he is in imminent danger. In this situation, there is no confusion from the victim's perspective as to what is happening. Onlookers to an assault may not be sure of what is happening, which of the persons involved is the victim, and what actions caused the incident to happen. Uncertainty, a desire not to get involved, and a fear of being harmed are factors that lead to inaction by witnesses

troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll
troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll

************* please stop feeding it.....it will only grow if you do **************

Bailenforcer

Duh

yes I would help.

Mock Rape? OH PLEASE! If you draw down on a "Mock Rapist" do you think she and or he/ or he and or he would not say a word like "it's ok he's acting on my fantasy"? That was a bad example in reality. people acting on a fantasy would be doing it in the streets alleys or Mall parking lots.

So yes I would intervene... But I am NOT a coward who worries about his own comfort level.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
If I'm in a non free state or place occupied by largely idiot residents and a criminal government, such as California or Maryland, and I'm carrying a legal or not means of self defense, I'm probably not going to bother intervening on anyone elses behalf, I'd just be out to protect me and people I know. The very fact someone would live in one of these places and not have with them a means to protect themselves already suggests that they are fools who don't feel their lives are worth protecting.

I am a recent emigre from the People's Republic of Maryland, having moved into the Free State (pun intended) of Virginia, a 'shall issue' state where open carry is allowed without a permit. The inherent right of self defense in Virginia was one of the reasons I moved out of Maryland.

Still, for the 60 years I lived in Maryland it would not have occurred to me to break the law by carrying a weapon on my person in contravention of the statutes. If one does not agree with a law, one should work to change it -- almost impossible in the one-party sate of Maryland -- or one must move to a friendlier state. Being in fear of one's own life, however reasonable, will probably not keep you from being convicted of illegal carry if caught.

infidel4life

Personally I think every situation would have a different result. It is very difficult to make a decision based on a text question. A real life situation which one is put in is the only real way to really know how one would act. As for all you troll haters. your unemployment is cancelled.

Michigander

Being in fear of one's own life, however reasonable, will probably not keep you from being convicted of illegal carry if caught.

I know it's not quite what you were getting at, but I feel the need to point this out. Fear is not a good reason to carry. If you have a specific fear of a specific threat that isn't immediate but will happen soon, you need to get yourself elsewhere in a big hurry.

In deciding to carry, the reason to do so should be that you are confident you can do so safely, and you have an understanding that if you are attacked, you will have a better chance of survival. Having an unfounded fear that can only be comforted with a gun isn't looked at by psychologists as a good sign of mental stability, and in my opinion represents minimally a good cause to re think carrying for anyone who feels that way.

Anyway, in terms of carry that conflicts with a states laws, I think that it's fairly interesting how well the constitution protects it. First, the second amendment seems pretty clearly to me to be federal preemption, and I hope courts will reinstate a RIGHT to carry nation wide soon. But aside from that steep goal, the rights against unreasonable searches, in addition to the exclusionary rule, make it rather remarkably feasible to carry "illegally" if you're careful about it, and hopefully have at least 5 grand to cover legal expenses. Not saying I suggest it, not saying I don't. But I definitely think it's morally acceptable.

Pouget

My biggest issue is how do you know who is wrong, and who is right. Lets say someone tried to attack you with a knife, now you have the gun and will most likely over power him. Meanwhile someone starts walking up on you, see's you shooting at an unarmed "victim" (because by now he has dropped the knife) and starts shooting at you. That is one of my biggest concerns on helping someone else

Bailenforcer

This makes NO sense at all.

if he dropped the knife why would you shoot? If he attacks me with a knife I am not going to wait from him to drop it before I draw my gun I am drawing and shooting till his attack is stopped. yes then the knife will be dropped and so will he.

Try again and this time make some sense please.

What I notice is the Anti defenders seem to make silly and inane arguments as a whole, and no not all of them, but most. I have a conscience and I am a man not wimp, so I will do what's just and right. I won't cower or run away and those that do, need to quit carrying a gun because someone will take it away from you and use it on you and others. Why this Nation is failing is directly proportional to the lack of REAL men. We have too damn many cowards dressing up as men in our society today. What is right is right no matter what. To say that I would walk away from some helpless victim being murdered because I am afraid? HELL NO! I don't fear anyone but the righteous anger of almighty GOD and he requires me to be a man and face the repercussions of being a man. I tire of liberal cowards parading as men today.

My biggest issue is how do you know who is wrong, and who is right. Lets say someone tried to attack you with a knife, now you have the gun and will most likely over power him. Meanwhile someone starts walking up on you, see's you shooting at an unarmed "victim" (because by now he has dropped the knife) and starts shooting at you. That is one of my biggest concerns on helping someone else

Last edited:

Michigander

That's not very likely to happen. Most people stupid enough to attack with a knife are also too stupid to know that punches and kicks are also suitable tactics with a fight, because even with a knife, or a gun for that matter, it's still a fight. In the case of a knife wielding moron, he's probably not going to drop the knife, he's going to be grasping it as hard as he can unless you drop him to the ground dead, in which case you'll not need to shoot him anymore. Furthermore, yelling things like "drop the knife!! Back off!" will make it extra clear what's going on just in case someone was confused. Yelling "CALL 911" right after a shooting is also a good idea.

You can what if all day, but every situation is different, and realistically, I've never even heard of a friendly fire incident like that in terms of a private individual defending himself or others. The only civilian friendly fire incidents I've heard of were cops, but that is simple enough in that when the cops get there after a shooting, your gun should be put away. As saying goes, if cops will accidentally shoot each other at times, you shouldn't go feeling too safe around them either.

Bailenforcer

Fear or common sense?

Logic and common sense tells me as a MAN I need to buck up and be a man, fear has ZERO to do with the reason a man should carry a gun. ZERO! It is pure common sense and logic.

I know it's not quite what you were getting at, but I feel the need to point this out. Fear is not a good reason to carry. If you have a specific fear of a specific threat that isn't immediate but will happen soon, you need to get yourself elsewhere in a big hurry.

In deciding to carry, the reason to do so should be that you are confident you can do so safely, and you have an understanding that if you are attacked, you will have a better chance of survival. Having an unfounded fear that can only be comforted with a gun isn't looked at by psychologists as a good sign of mental stability, and in my opinion represents minimally a good cause to re think carrying for anyone who feels that way.

Anyway, in terms of carry that conflicts with a states laws, I think that it's fairly interesting how well the constitution protects it. First, the second amendment seems pretty clearly to me to be federal preemption, and I hope courts will reinstate a RIGHT to carry nation wide soon. But aside from that steep goal, the rights against unreasonable searches, in addition to the exclusionary rule, make it rather remarkably feasible to carry "illegally" if you're careful about it, and hopefully have at least 5 grand to cover legal expenses. Not saying I suggest it, not saying I don't. But I definitely think it's morally acceptable.

Pouget

This makes NO sense at all.

if he dropped the knife why would you shoot? If he attacks me with a knife I am not going to wait from him to drop it before I draw my gun I am drawing and shooting till his attack is stopped. yes then the knife will be dropped and so will he.

Try again and this time make some sense please.

That's not very likely to happen. Most people stupid enough to attack with a knife are also too stupid to know that punches and kicks are also suitable tactics with a fight, because even with a knife, or a gun for that matter, it's still a fight. In the case of a knife wielding moron, he's probably not going to drop the knife, he's going to be grasping it as hard as he can unless you drop him to the ground dead, in which case you'll not need to shoot him anymore. Furthermore, yelling things like "drop the knife!! Back off!" will make it extra clear what's going on just in case someone was confused. Yelling "CALL 911" right after a shooting is also a good idea.

You can what if all day, but every situation is different, and realistically, I've never even heard of a friendly fire incident like that in terms of a private individual defending himself or others. The only civilian friendly fire incidents I've heard of were cops, but that is simple enough in that when the cops get there after a shooting, your gun should be put away. As saying goes, if cops will accidentally shoot each other at times, you shouldn't go feeling too safe around them either.

Are you two having fun over analyzing the fictional story I made up?

I'm pretty sure putting 2 or 3 rounds into someone is going to start their fall to the ground. I'm sure everything would happen so fast you may not think to yell out anything, however, figure out how to stop the threat immediately. There might be a crowd in the general area which by now are all running and screaming for their lives. Therefore, the person walking up to all of the commotion may not be able to realize everything going on with all of the distractions.