• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting experience

ToJas

Hey guys, I know I haven't been around in about a year, but I haven't been on much of anywhere in a while. I had an incident occur tonight, just an hour ago in fact, and it's keeping me from going to sleep, so I'm gonna share it with you guys and then hopefully sleep.

So I went to bed at about 11:30pm. At 12:15am, my mother calls my cell phone. I answered the phone, and all she said was "There's a stranger at my door." I told her not to answer the door, and that I'd be there in a minute. Now, my front yard connects to my parents back yard, and I can see their back door from my front door. I told my wife to grab her gun and watch me from the door, grabbed my Glock, and let my dog lead me up to my parents back door. As I approached the back door, I checked both corners of the house (my parents have a well-lit backyard, thankfully), and my dog flipped out and tried to run around the side of the house. I wouldn't let him, but instead gave a soft knock on the backdoor. My mother let me in, and told me that there was a man on her front steps. Keep in mind that the time from the phone call to my entry was a total of maybe 45 seconds.

I went to the door, and checked out the windows. I saw one male standing at the end of the walkway, and no one on the porch. I then stepped half outside, and called out "What's going on?". The male did not answer me, but instead took two steps forward. I think he noticed the weapon I had at that point, because he stopped in his tracks. He never said a word to me, but a female voice called from behind some bushes that they "just needed enough gas to make it to the gas station". Now look, the gas station happens to be maybe a 2 minute walk from where they were, and I know they knew that, because she named the gas station (I am leaving the name out so I don't over-identify myself). I then saw another male near the bushes as well. I said something to the effect of "Yeah, I have some gas". The first male took a step like he was going to follow me, and I said "You guys wait right there. My dogs are going crazy, and they'll likely come after you if you come any further". I then stepped back in the door, and told my mother to watch them and make sure none of them moved. I slipped through the house, and grabbed a little can of gas that we had out back. I brought that through the house, and after checking that I knew where all three individuals were, I stepped out and placed the gas about half-way down the walkway, and then backed up to the porch again. I called out to take what they need, and then leave the can where I had placed it. I then backed inside, and watched through the window. They took the can down to where their vehicle (I could just barely see it) was, and messed around with the can. They then put it back where I told them to, and drove away. I retrieved the can, called the police non-emergency number, and told them what had happened. I replaced the gas can, checked the locks, and returned home.

Now, my mother told me afterwards that their car had been further up the road when she first looked out the window, and that they had backed it back down the road to behind the bushes. Second, when the second male appeared, he came from that direction, but not from the car. Third, neither male ever spoke a word to me. And fourth, it just strikes me as odd that instead of walking a tenth of a mile to grab some gas, you would rather wake a family past midnight to "see if they have any gas".

Before I get toasted, I will say that I recognize several errors on my part now. First and Foremost, I did not know that there was a second male, nor did I know about the vehicle. Both things I should have known before ever setting foot outside. Second, I left a safe location (my parent's house) to step into an unsafe location (the porch).

Now, maybe they were just in need of gas, and all I did was frighten some poor family for now reason. I just highly doubt it, and guys, something just did not feel right about it at all. I know it's been a long time since I've been here, but I really welcome your thoughts on this, and your criticism as well. To let you know, it was because of all the comments and thoughts on other people's experiences that I remembered to check corners on my way, remembered to have someone covering my back on my approach, and remembered to try to be aware of everyone's position at all times... So thank you in advance, and thank you for allowing me to recount my experience.

cowboy67

I had a similar situation but the kid really did need help. His car broke down and he needed to use the phone around midnight(not sure why he did not have a cell but I guess some people dont). I live out in the country. I came to the door with my XD45 at my side. He stepped back when he seen it and then asked if he could use my phone and then he went on his way. I did not feel threatened so I am assuming the kid was there for what he stated.

In your situation, I would have made it known that I was armed, asked what they wanted at such a late hour, had my wife/mother on the phone with police giving them a play by play and pointed the unwelcomed guests to the gas station 2 minutes up the road and asked them to not come back. When the police arrived, point them to the location you sent them to and if they were legit, they would have been pumping gas when the police got there.

But, hey, that is just my observation while not being under pressure like you were.

ToJas

Why did you give them the gas at all? Make them leave and call five-oh.

That would have been ideal, and something I realized later. During the moment, I wanted them gone and I wanted them gone quickly. Giving them the gas seemed like the fastest way possible. In retrospect, should have just said "gas is that way, I don't have any".

ToJas

In your situation, I would have made it known that I was armed, asked what they wanted at such a late hour, had my wife/mother on the phone with police giving them a play by play and pointed the unwelcomed guests to the gas station 2 minutes up the road and asked them to not come back. When the police arrived, point them to the location you sent them to and if they were legit, they would have been pumping gas when the police got there.

Wish I had thought of that last night.

Monkeytown

This story is eerily similar to another posted on DC.com about a year ago. Wonder if this happened in the same area and maybe by same crew?

MT

ToJas

That would be frightening. To be honest, I really had that danger feeling when I was speaking with them, and I felt like their attitude/demeanor changed when I made my firearm visible. In the near future, I'm going to be speaking with my family on the importance of having police on the line while things like this are going on. Better to have called and not needed to than to have needed to and not called, right?

Alwaysdoubletap

I had a similar experience on tues night. I was on the phone with my mother
who has been I'll for some time and I check on her morning and night to see that she
has what she needs. Anyway about 10:15 pm while on the phone with her I heard a vehicle
pull up and my dog started barking. I live in the county and as a rule of thumb rarely have
any guests that don't call ahead before arriving. I peeked out the front window and saw that
the vehicle had stopped just at the beginning of my driveway,cut the engine and lights of and because of a large oak tree was partially concealed. I waited two or the minutes still obsevering
and still didn't see anyone get out. I went to the safe and retrieved a colt 45. and a tac light. I instructed my mom to call the sherrifs office and report what was happening. Bear in mind it usually
takes at least 30 min to get any help out here. I then saw a man get out of the vehicle and start walking towards my front porch. I went out the back got my Doberman and we slowly made our way
around front. The man was on the porch attempting to open the front door. I pointed my weapon at him and loudly said do not move or I will release my dog. He put his hands up and slowly turned to face me and said I just need to use a Phone my vehicle has broken down. I asked him why he was trying to open my door , he said to knock. I asked what was wrong with his vehicle and he said it had over heated and if I would let him use a faucet he would get some water and leave. He was very apologetic and seemed sincere so I agreed to allow him to get the water he needed. I lowered my weapon and told him to use the faucet by the porch were he was standing. I called the sherrifs office and told them they could slow the deputy down. He got about two gallons of water and thanked me again.End result it was just someone who really did need help and didn't mean any harm. The deputy arrived shortly after the man had left , we talked a few minutes and that was that. I think my poor mom almost had a heart attack but other than that I guess all is well. Afterwards I kinda felt bad for scaring the guy but I guess it could have been worse so I won't
complain.

NathanForrest

Never open your door in a situation like this. This is a common ploy used for home invasions. If you must confront the would be perps get the jump on them by going out your back door and walking slowly, and cautiously, around the front.

I recommend a high capacity 12g for home defense loaded with 00 buck shot or sabot slugs.