• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bear Scenario

Wyoming

Last weekend a hiker was attacked by a bear at Red River Gorge State Park. Could he have been legally carrying either open or concealed while there? How about Bernheim Forest? It is private and posted no firearms. What if I was to carry concealed in Bernheim, and have a situation where I was required to defend against a bear attack using a firearm. What would the legal outcome be? Banned from Bernheim? Go to the Nelson or Bullitt County jail?

langzaiguy

I OC at RRG all the time and have seen others do the same. It is a national wilderness area, but there are no bans on firearms there, only hunting. I'm unfamiliar with Bernheim forest, but if it is a private entity, it is not against the law to carry there--it just might be against their rules. If you had to use your weapon on their land to defend yourself, they may not be happy and they may ban you from their property, but you would have broken no laws in KY.

Wyoming

I'm unfamiliar with Bernheim forest, but if it is a private entity, it is not against the law to carry there--it just might be against their rules. If you had to use your weapon on their land to defend yourself, they may not be happy and they may ban you from their property, but you would have broken no laws in KY.

How about Kentucky State Parks? Can you either OC or CC in them?

flb_78

How about Kentucky State Parks? Can you either OC or CC in them?

Not a lawyer here but according to the KSP site...

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

* Police station or sheriff's office.
* Detention facility, prison or jail.
* Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
* County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
* Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
* General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
* Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
* Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
* Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
* Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
* Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

No mention of State or National Parks.

Also according to www.handgunlaw.us , 4th page on the Kentucky PDF...

http://handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas
Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES KY St Park Regs.
State/National Forests: YES
WMA’s: YES 01 KAR 3:010.
Road Side Rest Areas: YES

langzaiguy

There is an unconstitutional, and in my opinion--unenforceable ban on carry in state nature preserves. That still won't stop me from carrying there though.