Thread: To those applying for a Virginia CHP - a new SP-248 form is out

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

To those applying for a Virginia CHP - a new SP-248 form is out

Just received word that the new SP-248 form is out. Clerk's Offices are going to require as of 7/1/2010 that any new applicants use the new form. If you have been planning on applying for your CHP and you have the old form, you'll need a new one.

Here's the link to the new form - http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads...v_7-1-2010.pdf
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I see they haven't updated the link to the Virginia Supreme Court. It redirects to the main Virginia Judicial System web page: http://www.courts.state.va.us/main.htm

NOTICE 5 - USE OF DEADLY OR LETHAL FORCE
    FOR THE PURPOSES OF UNDERSTANDING THE LAW RELATING TO THE USE OF DEADLY AND LETHAL FORCE, PLEASE REFERENCE THE VIRGINIA SUPREME COURT WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.COURTS.STATE.VA.US/SCV/HOME.HTML.
    I can't figure out why the law requires them to put that on there anyway. I have never been able to find anything on the web page that would even remotely answer questions about using lethal force in Virginia.

TFred

Thanks. I'm applying first thing tomorrow morning. Had the old form filled out already. Guess it's useless now.
    Last edited by t33j; 07-01-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

So without me comparing the two, can anyone tell me what has changed?

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

New SP-248

Quote Originally Posted by Glock27Bill View Post
    So without me comparing the two, can anyone tell me what has changed?
    I tried to get to the Courthouse on Wednesday but got held up in traffic and arrived at 4:03 ... and was told that all of our County offices in Fairfax were closed for the day...

When I showed up yesterday (July 1) I was told that I had to fill out the new form, in triplicate.

The only difference I could find was a new field that requires the applicant to indicate their country of citizenship. Apparently it's not enough to show where you were born, you must now indicate which country you are a citizen of. So far as I can tell, that's the only change.

At least they notarized the forms for me at no charge. (This, in Fairfax County ... ymmv)