• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To those applying for a Virginia CHP - a new SP-248 form is out

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

TFred

I see they haven't updated the link to the Virginia Supreme Court. It redirects to the main Virginia Judicial System web page: http://www.courts.state.va.us/main.htm

NOTICE 5 - USE OF DEADLY OR LETHAL FORCE
FOR THE PURPOSES OF UNDERSTANDING THE LAW RELATING TO THE USE OF DEADLY AND LETHAL FORCE, PLEASE REFERENCE THE VIRGINIA SUPREME COURT WEBSITE AT HTTP://WWW.COURTS.STATE.VA.US/SCV/HOME.HTML.

I can't figure out why the law requires them to put that on there anyway. I have never been able to find anything on the web page that would even remotely answer questions about using lethal force in Virginia.

TFred

t33j

Thanks. I'm applying first thing tomorrow morning. Had the old form filled out already. Guess it's useless now.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
New SP-248

So without me comparing the two, can anyone tell me what has changed?
I tried to get to the Courthouse on Wednesday but got held up in traffic and arrived at 4:03 ... and was told that all of our County offices in Fairfax were closed for the day...

When I showed up yesterday (July 1) I was told that I had to fill out the new form, in triplicate.

The only difference I could find was a new field that requires the applicant to indicate their country of citizenship. Apparently it's not enough to show where you were born, you must now indicate which country you are a citizen of. So far as I can tell, that's the only change.

At least they notarized the forms for me at no charge. (This, in Fairfax County ... ymmv)