• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can we open carry if have a CCW?

farkles

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but a few youtube videos of cops questioning this made me want to get some solid answers. Does getting a CCW permit in any way restrict our open carry ability?

Is there anywhere in statutes or laws that answers this? Ever since the forum changed over I have not been able to get to the Open Carry flier. Anyone know the link to that?

elixin77

You do not need a CCW permit to open carry.

Cops are the absolute worst source to learn about a law. I have a friend who just graduated from the academy, and I had to educate him on open carry and GATTTOTP. He pulled out his book and read what I just told him.

Having a CCW just lets you legally conceal your weapon, and purchase new pistols without getting a pistol purchasing permit.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Absolutely. If any officer says otherwise, they are misinformed.

You might want to bring the videos in question to the attention of Grass Roots North Carolina. I am sure that Paul would be glad to school the departments in question. :)

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but a few youtube videos of cops questioning this made me want to get some solid answers. Does getting a CCW permit in any way restrict our open carry ability?

Is there anywhere in statutes or laws that answers this? Ever since the forum changed over I have not been able to get to the Open Carry flier. Anyone know the link to that?

Dreamer

CCW means "Carrying a Concealed Weapon", and is not a license, but the description of a CRIME in NC...

In NC, we have CHP's--Concealed Handgun Permits.

Now that we've got that straight, let's talk about OC and CC for CHP holders...

The regulations regarding CHP practices in NC DO NOT require that you ALWAYS CC if you have a permit. We don't even have "printing" laws, or laws prohibiting "accidental exposure" if you're CCing in NC. If you have a NC CHP ( or a permit issued by any of the 33 other states with which we have reciprocity) that just means that IF YOU WANT TO, you are legally allowed to carry concealed.

NC is an "open carry" state. ANY citizen who may legally possess a handgun in NC may carry openly--NO PERMIT NEEDED. And if you just so happen to have a CHP, you can STILL OC, CC, or carry in BOTH ways at the same time if you want. The CHP is just a "permission slip" that enabled you to carry concealed if you so choose. Carrying concealed is prohibited in NC unless you have a permit. But OC is legal for ANYONE who may legally possess a handgun. Period. End of discussion.

Getting a CHP doesn't negate your right to OC. A CHP just gives you the ADDITIONAL option to legally CC if you so choose...

I'd be interested in seeing those YouTube videos. I would find it difficult to believe they are by LEO's in NC. Most of the LEO's in NC have a pretty good understanding of the CC and OC law. With the exception of Cary, Chapel Hill, and Durham (which have unconstitutional laws on the books), an some of the "urban" areas like Raleigh, Fayetteville, and Jacksonville, the VAST majority of LEOs in our state actually DO "get it", and generally know and follow the law.

Please post links to these YouTube videos. I'm a member of GRNC, and would like to investigate this further...

Last edited:

farkles

Sorry for being less than clear in my first post. The videos were from NH, which originally I thought were NC videos. I was not able to find any law stating that with my CHP (thanks for clarification on terminology, Dreamer) there would be any restrictions, but wanted to be sure I understood that point of the law for certain. I always used to concealed carry, and have just begun open carrying sometimes (the wife isn't a big fan of OC at the moment).

bwhunter65

I saw a vid on you tube the cop was hassling a guy on a motorcycle he was saying if you had a ccp you needed to be concealed. He even talked to someone over the radio and they told him he was wrong and he got upset.