• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Independence Day gun salutes, a fine firm tradition.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Independence Day gun salutes, a fine firm tradition. How can that be considering the incredible risk that the DNR NRA gallus-snappers would have us believe an air shot represents, let alone an multi-gun salute? SCROOM Have a thankful, fun and ARMED INDEPENDENCE DAY.

ZogZamn the Obamanation and its thug union thugs!

M

McX

dang doug, i can't do it here; illegal to discharge a firearm in racine county. i can buy some fireworks, with a permit out by the interstate, but i can't blast them off either- illegal. figure that one out, i'm still trying to.

Interceptor_Knight

Independence Day gun salutes, a fine firm tradition. How can that be considering the incredible risk that the DNR NRA gallus-snappers would have us believe an air shot represents,

It is not a risk for the person pulling the trigger but it is a great risk for those unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end. There have been plenty of confirmed fatalaties from such "low risk" actions. There have been plety of tests also done to calculate the velocity of the bullets when they come back down. The odds are low that someone could shoot straight up and these odds diminish as the BAC increases...
Using a special rig, the testers shot the .30 caliber bullet straight into the air. It came down bottom (not point) first at what was later computed to be about 300 feet per second.
Experiments on cadavers and such have shown, for example, that a .38 caliber revolver bullet will perforate the skin and lodge in the underlying tissue at 191 feet per second and that triple-ought buckshot will do so at 213 feet per second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDS_2ooqpU
http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50

People are not smart enough to ensure their rounds go into the berm and stay there when they are at the range. To encourage these same brilliant individals to shoot into the air using a celebration for an excuse should have no place on the forum...

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
It is not a risk for the person pulling the trigger but it is a great risk for those unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end. There have been plenty of confirmed fatalaties from such "low risk" actions. There have been plety of tests also done to calculate the velocity of the bullets when they come back down. The odds are low that someone could shoot staight up and these odds diminish as the BAC increases...

Shooting up in the air, not a real smart thing to do. Funny someone here would even mention doing something like that, Oh wait..it came from Dougy, I bet Gleason would be ok with firing in the air too...go figure, LOL I would say, what Interceptor wrote here is correct.

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
It is not a risk for the person pulling the trigger but it is a great risk for those unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end. There have been plenty of confirmed fatalaties from such "low risk" actions. There have been plety of tests also done to calculate the velocity of the bullets when they come back down. The odds are low that someone could shoot straight up and these odds diminish as the BAC increases...

People are not smart enough to ensure their rounds go into the berm and stay there when they are at the range. To encourage these same brilliant individals to shoot into the air using a celebration for an excuse should have no place on the forum...

In our city parade the veterans did a 21 gun salute at several points throughout the parade. Of course they were using blanks as should be. But I must say it did add something to the whole display. It was great. I hope they keep that in the future parades.

As for joe public, I would have to think that even firing off blanks in town is going to land you with a unlawful discharge of a firearm citation and maybe even an arrest.

comp45acp

I have a range on my property. I shoot there weekly but especially on the 4th of July. The neighbors like it, they say it puts goblins on notice that there are armed people here.

Interceptor_Knight

In our city parade the veterans did a 21 gun salute at several points throughout the parade. Of course they were using blanks as should be. But I must say it did add something to the whole display. It was great. I hope they keep that in the future parades..
That absolutely adds something to the display. This should be done by more units!!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Have a thankful, fun and ARMED INDEPENDENCE DAY.

Arm yourself with the truth. Don't let others, union thugs, thug justice wannabes, think for you. Believe nothing that you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting worldview. (The latter clause excuses the invincibly ignorant arrantly errant.)

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

"The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink."

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Shooting up in the air, not a real smart thing to do. Funny someone here would even mention doing something like that, Oh wait..it came from Dougy, I bet Gleason would be ok with firing in the air too...go figure, LOL I would say, what Interceptor wrote here is correct.

Where did Doug mention anywhere about firing live rounds? And where does J Gleason advocate it being ok to firing live rounds?

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Independence Day gun salutes, a fine firm tradition. How can that be considering the incredible risk that the DNR NRA gallus-snappers would have us believe an air shot represents, let alone an multi-gun salute? SCROOM Have a thankful, fun and ARMED INDEPENDENCE DAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzHsoCXEkY&feature=related

Subject: Independence Day gun salutes,

Point: a fine firm tradition.

Originally Posted by springfield 1911
Where did Doug mention anywhere about firing live rounds?

Interceptor_Knight
Right there in the OP. He is mocking "the NRA" for proclaiming it unsafe to shoot into the air.... His post would simply not make sense if what he "really" meant was shooting blanks.....

Again: Where does He say anything about using live rounds , Subject and point make it very clear as does the video.

Interceptor_Knight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvzHsoCXEkY&feature=related
Again: Where does He say anything about using live rounds , Subject and point make it very clear as does the video.
Please provide a source where the DNR and NRA is critical of firing blanks during "salutes".... and his post will make sense in reference to using blanks....
In the absense of such a cite, it can be reasonably inferred that "Air Shot" refers to a shot being fired into the air.....

Yooper

dang doug, i can't do it here; illegal to discharge a firearm in racine county. i can buy some fireworks, with a permit out by the interstate, but i can't blast them off either- illegal. figure that one out, i'm still trying to.

Anything that leaves the ground, or explodes is illegal in Michigan. Fortunately there's an Indian Reservation not far down the road where they can sell them, and even more fortunate, is that the cops don't bother those who do blow them off, unless they're doing something stupid with them.

__

Banned
Thats pretty funny the "arrant knight errant" telling us "can be reasonably inferred." Yeah, I have read most of what huffman has written.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
Please provide a source where the DNR and NRA is critical of firing blanks during "salutes".... and his post will make sense in reference to using blanks....
In the absense of such a cite, it can be reasonably inferred that "Air Shot" refers to a shot being fired into the air.....

As you knew that I would not find a source for the d.n.r. or n.r.a. being critical of firing blanks in the course of salutes, Cite for me where Doug has advised,encouraged and condoned the misuse of a firearm in anyway that would cause harm to another person.

Interceptor_Knight

As you knew that I would not find a source for the d.n.r. or n.r.a. being critical of firing blanks in the course of salutes, Cite for me where Doug has advised,encouraged and condoned the misuse of a firearm in anyway that would cause harm to another person.

The alternative is that Doug merely fabricated the inferrence (neither the NRA nor the WI DNR actually object to the shooting of blanks) and was merely getting a head start to meet his personal quota of bashing both the NRA and the DNR for the month and use of his personal idioms. This is contrary to his use of the nomenclature "air shot" which would infer shooting a projectile into the air.