• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

July Fourth Tempe Town Lake Festival

me812

In case ya'll didn't know, Tempe is inviting us to celebrate the Fourth in their lovely town, but we have to check our Second and Fourth Amendment rights at the door. There will be no weapons permitted, and all persons and bags will be subject to search:

http://tempe4th.com/

I urge everyone to email mayor Hallman and tell him how you feel about this. I already did. Here's his addy:

hugh_hallman@tempe.gov

Thoreau

Guess he's SKEERED a legal gun owner might shoot up the town...?

Can't we reschedule this until perhaps the 29th? =)

That said, is this managing to get around the whole state preemption thing simply by virtue of the type of event? Or is there some other way they're skirting that law? (Referring to the existing one, not the upcoming modified version taking effect.)

me812

That said, is this managing to get around the whole state preemption thing simply by virtue of the type of event? Or is there some other way they're skirting that law? (Referring to the existing one, not the upcoming modified version taking effect.)

I would assume they're using the "public establishments and events" clause of the preemption law.

The legislature just got rid of the parks loophole in the preemption law, hopefully they'll get rid of this next.