• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revised signs at Cabelas.

thx997303

I went to Cabela's today because I needed to pick up a new powder scale, and I noticed their signs were different.

Added to the sign stating that firearms were to be unloaded and checked, was an exemption for specifically........Open Carry!

An employee noticed me reading the sign, and mentioned the reason they changed the sign is because concealed carriers would pull their weapon to try it in a holster.

Now, I don't really believe that. I think it's far more likely that open carriers making a fuss about being bothered by employeesx is why they changed it.

I wonder if the Lehi Cabela's is the only one to have done so.

I would have taken a picture but I didn't have my camera.

41 Magnum

It's both. I'm up there quite often, and there is usually at least one person in the holster isle doing the quick glance around and the sneaky try-for-fit. That and there are a couple gun counter guys and members of management that have been known to open carry on occasion......

utbagpiper

Banned
It's both. I'm up there quite often, and there is usually at least one person in the holster isle doing the quick glance around and the sneaky try-for-fit. That and there are a couple gun counter guys and members of management that have been known to open carry on occasion......

This is the kind of stuff that causes problems for all of us. I appreciate the observation and report, but it sure troubles me to know that people are handling loaded guns inside a gun store or gun show. I've written it before and I'll write it again here.

Gun stores and gun shows are very unique environments when it comes to guns. I can think of virtually no other public place where it is legally and socially acceptable to be handling firearm, perhaps even sighting them, where there are not safe backstops and so on. It is for this reason that I think safety rules require some extra efforts to make sure that all guns being handled are, really unloaded.

If gun owners/carriers would be very careful not to handle loaded guns in such situations, that is all the rules that would be needed: "Loaded guns shall remain holstered at all times. Unloaded guns may be fitted to holsters, checked for grips and sights, etc." But so long as a few idiots (who manage not to have an ND most of the time, but idiots nonetheless) continue to insist on handling loaded firearms in such settings, we can expect that the owner/operators of such settings will continue to require people to completely disarm and prove all guns being carried are actually unloaded.

I wonder if it might not be appropriate, upon witnesses such conduct to politely and discreetly mention to the offending party that his conduct appears not to be safe, has probably been captured on some hidden security camera, and is one of the prime reasons that so many gun stores don't permit the carrying of loaded firearms by customers.

Charles

kdt1970

I went there last night to get an EMP, and I read it as you only need to check your gun if you plan on doing anything other than leaving it in your holster.

the_fox_man4

agree

sign states only have to check if you are going to un holster your firearm, I was there on the 3rd of july. open carrying 2 firearms. nobody bothered me about that and yes they noticed, when I was trying to find some ammo they were out off.