• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Now Leans Toward Endorsing Harry Reid

Thundar

WHat did you expect from the NRA?

As a Libertarian I think Harry reid is an evil bastard. When you only look at alternatives for gun rights though, supporting Harry does seem to have its advantages.

Harry is far more pro gun than other potential senate democrats if they keep the majority in the senate. Could you imagine what Barbara boxer or John Kerry would do compared to Harry?

This is very much the NRA political chess game. It is the reason that I use a SAF scorecard instead of an NRA scorecard.

The sad part of this is that even if you are an NRA life member you will not have any influence. The NRA board thinks they know better than us mere members. Pathetic leadership, but you can expect nothing less from Negotiate your Rights Away gangsters.

Pace

Smart reply, goes into the false perception that republicans are more pro gun that democrats. I just believe they regulate them all differently.

Alexcabbie

Harry Ried: The gun-owners' pal??

I am barely able to keep up with local politics, and those of you from Alexandria VA know why. It's like a food-fight under a blanket. But I have heard that Reid has been very pro-2A as far as he could swing it politically. My neighbor's kid has one of those magic 8-balls, however; and by using that plus the internet and listening to John Batchelor, I have been able to dope out maybe what Wayne's World is thinking:

Ried did try and stop some few very anti-gun measures. Nevada is much more 2A friendly than Illinois, after all; and as Senate Majority Leader he is much preferable to his likely replacement, Dick (how apropos!) Durbin of Illinois. My best guess is that the NRA believes the DemonRatz will retain control of the Senate, and if so they want an ally in the Majority Leader's office.

The Senate Majority Leader is a very powerful person. And I must agree that if I had to choose between Durbin and Ried for that post I would choose Reid in a heartbeat. Reid is just a fool. Durbin is a dangerous Statist.

However, I do not agree with the NRA on this matter. If conservatives take enough seats in the Senate, then anything the Ratz try will be handily filibustered. I remember one smarmy progressive who admonished me, when the Republicans took the Senate: "Remember, you need sixty votes to get anything done!" We need Republicans who will man up and show them that the sauce they made for the goose can be poured on gander meat as well. If the Ratz remain in control of the Senate, the solution is to force the true majority leader on them: Mister Phil E. Buster.

Sez me.

Gordie

To those who think Harry is pro-gun, read the vote history in the link. If this is pro-gun, then we are truly fighting a lost cause. My count is 35 anti-gun votes.

June 28, 1991. Vote No. 115. Voted for a 5 day waiting period for handgun purchases.

October 21, 1993. Vote 325. Voted to eliminate the Army Civilian Marksmanship Program. Only the most fringe anti-gun Senators voted for the amendment.

November 19, 1993. Vote 385. Allow states to impose waiting periods over and above the 5 days waiting period required under the Brady Bill.

November 19, 1993. Vote 386. Voted to eliminate he 5-year sunset in the Brady Bill.

November 19, 1993. Vote 387. Voted to close off debate on the Brady Bill.

November 19, 1993. Vote 390. Voted to close off debate on the Brady Bill.

November 20, 1993. Vote 394. Voted for the Brady Bill, which imposed a 5-business-day waiting period before purchasing a handgun.

August 25, 1994. Vote 294. Voted to close off debate on the Clinton Crime Bill, which contained the ban on so-called “assault weapons.”

August 25, 1994. Vote 295. Voted for the Clinton Crime Bill, which contained the ban on so-called “assault weapons.”

April 17, 1996. Vote 64. Voted to expand the statute of limitations for paperwork violations in National Firearms Act from 3 years to 5 years.

June 27, 1996. Vote 178. Voting to destroy 176,000 M-1 Garand rifles from World War II, and 150 million rounds of 30 caliber ammunition, rather than giving them to the Federal Civilian Marksmanship program.

September 12, 1996. Vote 287. Voted to spend $21.5 million for a study on putting “taggants” in black and smokeless gunpowder.

September 12, 1996. Vote 290. Voted to make it a Federal crime to possess a gun within 1,000 yards of a school.

May 12, 1999. Vote 111. Voted to give the Treasury Department expansive new authority to regulate and keep records on gun shows and their participants, and criminalize many intrastate firearms transactions.

May 13, 1999. Vote 116. Voted to ban the importation of ammunition clips that can hold more than 10 rounds.

May 14, 1999. Vote 119. Voted to criminalize internet advertisements to sell legal firearms in a legal manner.

May 18, 1999. Vote 122. Voted to for Mandatory triggerlocks.

May 20, 1999. Vote 133. Voted to create new Federal regulation of pawn shops handling of guns.

May 20, 1999. Vote 134. Voted to give the Treasury Department expansive new authority to regulate and keep records on gun shows and their participants, and criminalize many intrastate firearms transactions. The vote was 50-50, with Vice President Gore casting the tie-breaking vote.

May 20, 1999. Vote 140. Voted for the Clinton Juvenile Justice bill, which contained a package of gun control measures.

July 29, 1999. Vote 224. Voted to close debate on the Clinton Juvenile Justice bill, which contained a package of gun control measures.

February 2, 2000. Vote 4. Voted to make firearms manufacturers and distributors’ debts nondischargeable in bankruptcy if they were sued because they unknowingly sold guns to individuals who used the gun in a crime. 68 Senators voted against Reid’s position, including 17 Democrats including Bryan of Nevada.

March 2, 2000. Vote 27. Voted to say that school violence was due to the fact that Congress “failed to pass reasonable, common-sense gun control measures” and call for new gun ownership restrictions on the anniversary of the Columbine shootings.

March 2, 2000. Vote 28. Voted to say that school violence was due to the fact that Congress “failed to pass reasonable, common-sense gun control measures” and call for new gun ownership restrictions on the anniversary of the Columbine shootings (reconsideration of vote 27).

March 2, 2000. Vote 32. Voted to use Federal taxpayer funds to hand out anti-gun literature in schools and to run anti-gun public service announcements.

April 6, 2000. Vote 64. Voted for a gun control package including new onerous restrictions on gun shows.

April 7, 2000. Vote 74. Voted against an amendment to provide for the enforcement of existing gun laws in lieu of new burdensome gun control mandates.

May 16, 2000. Vote 100. Voted to commend the participants of the so-called “Million Mom March” for their demand for more Federal restrictions on firearms ownership, and to urge the passage of strict gun control measures.

May 17, 2000. Vote 102. Vote to overturn the ruling of the chair that the Daschle amendment (commending the participants of the so-called “Million Mom March” for their demand for more Federal restrictions on firearms ownership, and to urge the passage of strict gun control measures) was out of order.

May 17, 2000. Vote 103. Voted against an amendment stating “the right of each law-abiding United States citizen to own a firearm for any legitimate purpose, including self-defense or recreation, should not be infringed.”

May 17, 2000. Vote 104. Voted for an amendment commending the participants of the so-called “Million Mom March” for their demand for more Federal restrictions on firearms ownership, and to urge the passage of strict gun control measures.

February 26, 2004. Vote 17. Voted for mandatory triggerlocks.

March 2, 2004. Vote 25. Voted for Federal regulation of gun shows.

July 28, 2005. Vote 207. Voted for mandatory triggerlocks.

March 5, 2009. Vote 83. Voted against a ban on the United Nations imposing taxes on American citizens after France and other world leaders proposed a global tax on firearms.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
my understanding is that they don't believe sharron angle would prevail in a matchup. if dirty harry were to fall, and the dems retain the senate (likely) then lil chuckie schumer would likely replace dirty harry {shudder}.

so it looks more like trying to prevent the coronation of a piece of schumer...

zack991