• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC, all advice appreciated.

sultan62

I'm new to OC, or any regular carry for that matter. I'm looking for any advice on the matter.

First, a little background, and some of what (I think) I understand.

I grew up hunting, shooting, etc. I have put several hundred rounds through my .45 (my carry weapon) and know what I'm doing when it comes to the weapon. Right now, I need a holster. I'm looking in the holsters forum for more information on that, but apparently the forum list has no search feature. :(

Also, any advice that concerns places that typically do not allow OC or are typically not friendly towards it would be appreciated.

However, the main thing I think would be useful would be any information or advice that I wouldn't think to ask for-I'm sure there's plenty of it.

Don't get the idea that I'm not doing research on my own-I certainly am. However, as I'm sure you all know, there are things that simply do not come up on Google or through day to day discussions with a limited number of people.

Again, any advice will be appreciated.

simmonsjoe

Update your profile to include city/state.

Yes there is a search feature. If you search in your states forum for many businesses, you will find info on them.

As for a holster- If you are going to OC regularly, I'd recommend an OWB paddle/belt holster With RETENTION. This would be serpa/safariland style for Kydex, or any Leather 'pancake' style holster with a thumb strap that MUST GO OVER THE REAR OF THE SLIDE, BLOCKING THE HAMMER. There are some cheaper ones that have the thumb strap over the backstrap. This is bad as it slows access time considerably as you have to unsnap and then fumble the strap away while you try and get a grip. It is even worse for 1911's because it can disable the grip safety.

45acpForMe

Profile updated.

I am carrying an XD 45 4", looking at the Serpa.

I love my SERPA but other prefer Sarariland or other retention holsters.

I would suggest also posting in the North Carolina thread since they will know the local laws better. From what I understand NC is a pretty good OC state but do your research on the laws because ignorance is never a defense in court. :-(

erb

Carry with the holster strapped to your thigh! I don't know what it is called.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

You would do better asking questions about specific laws on OC at the North Carolina sub-forum http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?117-North-Carolina. NC also has a great grass-roots gun rights organization that you should look up and consider supporting with membership and activism. There are also a few brave souls who organize OC meet-ups over dinner - look for them and go meet your kindred bretheren & sisteren.

stay safe.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Gunslinger, an image to avoid.

Carry with the holster strapped to your thigh! I don't know what it is called.

It's called mall ninja.
LOL. Come on down to the Wisconsin forum where all sorts of excuses and rationales are invented for thigh-rigs.

Mall ninja works and so does shotgun-chic. It's just the post-modern version of the ol' Wild West gunslinger's quick draw rig. So I suppose gunslinger works too and that's an image that I would avoid. But then I'm old enough to be the Sheriff.

david.ross

LOL. Come on down to the Wisconsin forum where all sorts of excuses and rationales are invented for thigh-rigs.

Mall ninja works and so does shotgun-chic. It's just the post-modern version of the ol' Wild West gunslinger's quick draw rig. So I suppose gunslinger works too and that's an image that I would avoid. But then I'm old enough to be the Sheriff.

How a person carries shouldn't matter long as the firearm is secure. People who are all "mall-ninja" and calling people out as mall ninjas are bad as the people who look like thugs while open carry and trolling this forum. If a person wants to wear BDUs, don't act like a clown in public.

I don't have much of an opinion on thigh rigs outside of the fact rigs on duty belts are easier to take off at the end of the day.

Thinking about ease and use though, I should mention duty holsters can ruin a car's seat if the holster is touching the bottom. I don't know if a thigh holster would affect driving a vehicle int he same way or if it's problem-free.

MamaLiberty

Even if you have been hunting and shooting all of your life, I would seriously encourage you to take a basic firearms course and then at least one directly devoted to the mindset, tactics and techniques necessary for carrying a gun. Knowing how to use the gun safely is only a small part of being prepared to defend yourself.

Bearing arms is an awesome responsibility, and a serious liability issue everywhere. The better you prepare for that, both physically and mentally, the more likely you will be safe yourself and an asset to everyone around you.

I'm delighted you want to carry. I pray you will invest the time and effort to be truly prepared for it. :)

simmonsjoe

How a person carries shouldn't matter long as the firearm is secure. People who are all "mall-ninja" and calling people out as mall ninjas are bad as the people who look like thugs while open carry and trolling this forum. If a person wants to wear BDUs, don't act like a clown in public.

I don't have much of an opinion on thigh rigs outside of the fact rigs on duty belts are easier to take off at the end of the day.

Thinking about ease and use though, I should mention duty holsters can ruin a car's seat if the holster is touching the bottom. I don't know if a thigh holster would affect driving a vehicle int he same way or if it's problem-free.
Depends on your console. I use a holster mounted to the dash. MUCH more comfortable when driving. I agree. Carry how your gonna carry, just don't act like a clown in public.
Sometimes people are a little thin skinned. If you can't take a little razzing, maybe you should talk about that to your therapist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APwfZYO1di4

sultan62

First, the mall ninja thing...wow. I know that has already been said but it's the only thing that can be said. Thank you for that, it made my day. I didn't really have time to read it, but once I started I couldn't stop. Oh well.

I know I want a hip holster, for convenience and preferred location. I'm looking at the Safariland ALS Paddle Holster (http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-6378-als-paddle-holster-stx-plain-black-right-hand-6378-148-411.html) as well as the Blackhawk Serpa Sportster (http://www.opticsale.com/blackhawk-serpa-sportster-holster-right-springfield-xd-gun-18659-prd1.html?gdftrk=gdfV2656_a_7c772_a_7c3291_a_7c055_d_413507BK_d_R).

I found a hard copy of the Serpa, and I know the gun fits. However, there are a couple of advantages I see in the Safariland:

1) Full cover for the top/slide of the pistol (Personal preference, nothing else.)
2) Release on the inside - less likely someone else could pull it out.

As this isn't a holster thread/forum I won't really go more in detail unless the conversation turns that way.

MamaLiberty, I am considering taking a class. I have to look around and find out whose classes are actually good, etc.

Wiley

1. Your holster is an integral part of carry. OC or CC.
2. Go to a couple IDPA matches. Most of the folks I've met are very helpfull to new carriers. One of the advantages is that you are required to draw from a holster (see 1. above). Most ranges frown on that consequently most people have never tried.

http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=NC

simmonsjoe

1. Your holster is an integral part of carry. OC or CC.
2. Go to a couple IDPA matches. Most of the folks I've met are very helpfull to new carriers. One of the advantages is that you are required to draw from a holster (see 1. above). Most ranges frown on that consequently most people have never tried.

http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=NC
This is a crucial skill and IDPA is a great place to learn it.

daddy4count

My Serpa stays on belt or paddle until backpacking and archery season... then it sits happily on the thigh mount.

I have worn it in public, and it gets some stares for sure.

In the woods most folks don't take notice.

I call it my "Han Solo" rig

:)