• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago's new laws as of today

iceman71

The Mayor and Alderman had an emergency session due to Supreme Court ruling. $100 permit fee required, plus training. One gun a month can be purchased and only one working gun in house. "a shotgun is enough for an army" I believe the quote was by one alderperson. Oh ta almost forgot NO CARRYING OUTSIDE OF HOME. Obviously the city didnt understand what the supreme court said.

Archangel

The opportunity to make some money almost makes me want to....

Nah check that....

NOTHING could make me want to move to Illinois, much less Chicago....

Captain Nemo

In my opinion there is no cause to be unduly alarmed by Daley and company's irrational reaction to losing the McDonald case. The SCOTUS decision gave a limited allowance to what "reasonable" regulations would most likely stand the litmus test. It also gave no indication that the second amendment and it's incorporation to the states was dependant on a volume of firearms or their types.

It would also appear to me that the requirement for licensing and training would not be considered as
"reasonable" by SCOTUS. They restrict a fundamental right of all law abiding citizens to only they that can afford to jump through those hoops.

It is my opinion that these measures envoked by the City of Chicago is in contempt of the SCOTUS ruling in McDonald and Mr. Daley and company will soon be in court defending them.

Captain Nemo

I'm rather suprised that the residents of Illinois haven't pushed for a stronger preemption statute. One similar to Wisconsin's. Preemption of local ordinances, in regards to firearms, would be the easiest way to keep Mr. Daley in check. But then again, I suppose the city of Chicago has the Illinois legislature in it's back pocket, much like the city of Milwaukee seems to have in Wisconsin.

B

bhancock

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/2458402,new-chicago-gun-law-passed-070210.article

How is 66.0409 in any way strong, please? It is not enforceable, certainly not in the sense of being within the purview of law enforcement.

Using one statute to undo another is not logical. Repeal of the statutes that no longer apply would be the best policy. 66.0409 does not stop LEO from issuing citations and expending much resources on litigation. Not to mention the inconvenience of the detainment while your family would be waiting for the LEO to get done harassing you.

edited spelling

Landose_theghost

Mayor Daley is a walking sh!t factory. What is this guy 3 years old? I mean he acts like a whiney spoiled little kid that just HAS to get his way no matter what the outcome. Great job d!ckhead, I'm sure all the gangs/criminals are going to abide by this new law, what a doosh... <Rant over>

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Daley is a bum!!! It would be nice if the citizens of Chicago would tell him to seek other employment. I bet he would be good at cleaning portapotties.

Are you kidding me? Cleaning portapotties is honest work and provides a useful service. What makes you think he has any talent for that?

Canard

Not only is Daly crazy but what about these alderpersons who vote the policies into place? Are they servants to the mayor or the people?

PT111

Are you kidding me? Cleaning portapotties is honest work and provides a useful service. What makes you think he has any talent for that?

+1 If you watch the show "Dirty Jobs" you should find like I do that there are many jobs that you or I would not do but someone has to. When you see someone that is doing a job like that, such as cleaning portapotties you should thank them. Anyone can be mayor, that doesn't take any talent or work.