Thread: Rifle OC?

Rifle OC?

I recently became aware that people may be able to OC their rifle on a sling. If this is true, is a CCW permit necessary? I saw video of people carrying their AR's and AK's at events here in Michigan. What's the skinny on this activity?

It's a highly controversial idea that always spawns arguing around here, although most of the old timers around here who remember when we were looked at as crazy for carring handguns openly don't have a moral issue with it. It's legal if done properly and in accordance with all state and federal laws. A CPL won't do a thing for long guns, other than carrying in state game areas.

I don't believe it's practical someone is 18-20 and can't get the handgun they want, strapped for cash and only have a long gun, an out of stater from a state that won't issue licenses to carry, or someone who has a problem with a PD that illegally denies them a purchase permit. The only exception to that, in my opinion, is at outdoor events where security isn't an issue, and it's not going to piss a bunch of people off. Such as the second amendment march in lansing.

I do believe that in most cases it's the wrong image to present in urban areas, and image is very important as is demonstrated by the proposed OC ban in Kali. I also believe that there are even more serious disadvantages with retention, over penetration, maneuvering around tight areas, and muzzle control.

So in other words, I'm not saying don't do it because I'm very pro freedom, but if you're going to, think long and hard about the laws, and where when and why you want to do it.
    Last edited by Michigander; 07-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Well said. And on that note, I will close the thread. As Michigander pointed out, I am not doing so because I am opposed to rifle carry, but rather because we are focused on "the open carry of properly holstered handguns by law abiding citizens as they go about their daily lives." We have this focus because one of the key goals (which IS working) is to normalize the sight of average citizens wearing holstered handguns.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

PS. I am a big fan of the AK variants myself. I have an AK103 knockoff from AK USA and love it!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    It's a highly controversial idea that always spawns arguing around here, although most of the old timers around here who remember when we were looked at as crazy for carring handguns openly don't have a moral issue with it. It's legal if done properly and in accordance with all state and federal laws. A CPL won't do a thing for long guns, other than carrying in state game areas.

I don't believe it's practical someone is 18-20 and can't get the handgun they want, strapped for cash and only have a long gun, an out of stater from a state that won't issue licenses to carry, or someone who has a problem with a PD that illegally denies them a purchase permit. The only exception to that, in my opinion, is at outdoor events where security isn't an issue, and it's not going to piss a bunch of people off. Such as the second amendment march in lansing.

I do believe that in most cases it's the wrong image to present in urban areas, and image is very important as is demonstrated by the proposed OC ban in Kali. I also believe that there are even more serious disadvantages with retention, over penetration, maneuvering around tight areas, and muzzle control.

So in other words, I'm not saying don't do it because I'm very pro freedom, but if you're going to, think long and hard about the laws, and where when and why you want to do it.