• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Way Courthouse (update)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I have been working with the Federal Way municipal court to get the lock box program in place. I recently had a ticket (dismissed, speeding) and inquired about checking my firearm. I was instructed by the unarmed private security that they did not do this and I needed to leave my firearm in my car. (Good thing I did not take the bus that day.) The private security inquired with someone out of my view and reaffirmed. He stated that I go talk to the police department, so I did. I spoke with Lt. Nelson whom was unaware but assured me that bringing the information to light it would be taken care of in a timely manner.

I sent emails to the entire city council, mayor and city manager. I received an email from Brian Wilson (City Manager/Police Chief) and was informed that the court clerk would have a solution. Today I spoke with Sue White (clerk) and she affirmed that within 2 or 3 weeks that acting police chief Andy Wong would have a check in procedure in place. While that is better than no policy, I am disappointed to not see lock boxes put in place as they are the least intrusive. I asked Ms. White to call me when the policy was in place. At that time I will follow up with and test the check in policy at the Federal Way Municipal Court.

I also included 'Firearms Attorney' Mark Knapp from Federal Way in my emails. He writes a column for the Federal Way Mirror and I thought that this would be good material for his column as well as place additional pressure on the city to comply with the law.

(p.s. if you want to know how to beat a speeding ticket let me know)

gsx1138

I have been working with the Federal Way municipal court to get the lock box program in place. I recently had a ticket (dismissed, speeding) and inquired about checking my firearm. I was instructed by the unarmed private security that they did not do this and I needed to leave my firearm in my car. (Good thing I did not take the bus that day.) The private security inquired with someone out of my view and reaffirmed. He stated that I go talk to the police department, so I did. I spoke with Lt. Nelson whom was unaware but assured me that bringing the information to light it would be taken care of in a timely manner.

I sent emails to the entire city council, mayor and city manager. I received an email from Brian Wilson (City Manager/Police Chief) and was informed that the court clerk would have a solution. Today I spoke with Sue White (clerk) and she affirmed that within 2 or 3 weeks that acting police chief Andy Wong would have a check in procedure in place. While that is better than no policy, I am disappointed to not see lock boxes put in place as they are the least intrusive. I asked Ms. White to call me when the policy was in place. At that time I will follow up with and test the check in policy at the Federal Way Municipal Court.

I also included 'Firearms Attorney' Mark Knapp from Federal Way in my emails. He writes a column for the Federal Way Mirror and I thought that this would be good material for his column as well as place additional pressure on the city to comply with the law.

(p.s. if you want to know how to beat a speeding ticket let me know)

Good news! Well done sir. I have prepaid legal. I haven't paid a traffic ticket since.

Matt85

sounds like you did some good!

i am also curious about your trick for beating speeding tickets? (not that my truck is really capable of speeding)

-matt

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Update 7/21

I received a call this morning from the court administrator, Sue White, confirming that the weapons policy is now in place for the Federal Way municipal court. I will be confirming this in person this coming Monday. I will be recording the check-in procedure and will share the video/audio after the event. I have reached out to attorney Mark Knapp "the firearms attorney" in Federal Way to also witness the compliance. Mark writes a column for the Federal Way Mirror concerning firearms and has had a table at the WAC shows in the past.