• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Potential for Unintended Consequences of New CC Restaurant Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think an issue that may arrise is someone Va tucking for the purpose of lawfully consuming alcohol and then debate occurring on OC vs CC. Va tucking has always been a bit of a gray area and I can see where that may come into play here.

What's gray about the tuck?

XD9Sub

1. you have never, and probably will never be involved in a bank robbery.
2. Why would I walk into a dangerous part of town at 1 am, thats looking for trouble, much like going into a bar with a gun and drinking is looking for trouble.
3. You are so far on the right wing it is possible you might fall off of the ledge.

Listen all I'm saying is that
A. You know for a fact that there are going to be multiple excessively drunk individuals at the bar
B. Drinking, for a fact, induces lapses in judgement
C. Adding a gun to the mix of alcohol and a large crowd isn't smart
D. Barfights are common, all of us have witnessed them

Listen the problem I have encountered so far with regards to my postings are the same problems I would encouter if I posted pro-gun agendas at a brady website. Everyone is just a little hyper-sensitive. I have always been taught to analyze both sides of an issue before commenting on it, which is why I read both anti and pro-gun media and decipher the facts much like a sieve strains water from pasta. The problem is that your comments do not look at both sides of the issue. Its well and fine that you hold so close to the second amendment, but the fact is that it is not going away whether or not you decide to bring a gun into a bar/church/spaceship.
All of these what-ifs and hypotheticals mean nothing and all they do is serve to very weakly reinforce your point that maybe, just maybe, when you and your gun/taser/knife/ziptie combo are in a situtation of peril (provided that you don't fail miserably and end up a statistic) you can say wow, my gun saved me.
Listen, I carry, I open carry, but I have sense enough to realize when the time is right and not right, and I stand firm in my belief that a gun in a bar is just not a good choice. Go on ranting about how much you value your life and all this other garbage but for those 15 or so years before you carried a gun, when you were just a teensey weensey little lad, vulnerable to kidnap/murder, no attempt was made on your life, and if it was, you survived it

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
2. Why would I walk into a dangerous part of town at 1 am, thats looking for trouble, much like going into a bar with a gun and drinking is looking for trouble.
3. You are so far on the right wing it is possible you might fall off of the ledge.

Listen all I'm saying is that
A. You know for a fact that there are going to be multiple excessively drunk individuals at the bar
B. Drinking, for a fact, induces lapses in judgement
C. Adding a gun to the mix of alcohol and a large crowd isn't smart
D. Barfights are common, all of us have witnessed them

Listen the problem I have encountered so far with regards to my postings are the same problems I would encouter if I posted pro-gun agendas at a brady website. Everyone is just a little hyper-sensitive. I have always been taught to analyze both sides of an issue before commenting on it, which is why I read both anti and pro-gun media and decipher the facts much like a sieve strains water from pasta. The problem is that your comments do not look at both sides of the issue. Its well and fine that you hold so close to the second amendment, but the fact is that it is not going away whether or not you decide to bring a gun into a bar/church/spaceship.
All of these what-ifs and hypotheticals mean nothing and all they do is serve to very weakly reinforce your point that maybe, just maybe, when you and your gun/taser/knife/ziptie combo are in a situtation of peril (provided that you don't fail miserably and end up a statistic) you can say wow, my gun saved me.
Listen, I carry, I open carry, but I have sense enough to realize when the time is right and not right, and I stand firm in my belief that a gun in a bar is just not a good choice. Go on ranting about how much you value your life and all this other garbage but for those 15 or so years before you carried a gun, when you were just a teensey weensey little lad, vulnerable to kidnap/murder, no attempt was made on your life, and if it was, you survived it

With a post count of 5, I doubt that you know this has been debated to death.
I won't drag out the dead horse GIF because I'm busy.

FWIW, I happen to side with you for the most part but even with things I feel strongly about, give others the right to carry as they wish within the law.

Wylde can and will take care of his side of the argument. He's good at it.
You were doing OK until you got here:
Go on ranting about how much you value your life and all this other garbage

That cost you a lot of credibility!

XD9Sub

With a post count of 5, I doubt that you know this has been debated to death.

FWIW, I happen to side with you for the most part but even with things I feel strongly about, give others the right to carry as they wish within the law.

Wylde can and will take care of his side of the argument. He's good at it.
You were doing OK until you got here:

That cost you a lot of credibility!

^^ Good thing I'm not running for office at the Open Carry website anytime soon, right? :D I love the use of red highlighter like my teachers in grade school and professors in college. Its like if its not in bold with an arrow sign on it I wouldn't understand what you were conveying? Maybe you have gotten used to explaining things that way to other members on the board, but I assure you, I am quite intelligent. No offense meant as you are probably one of the only ones who will side with me on this issue. I will be closely following incidents related to this new law, and only time will tell if McDonnell did the right thing

Last edited:

wylde007

I have, and probably will never be involved in a shooting incident at a restaurant which serves alcohol.
2. Why would I walk into a dangerous part of town at 1 am, that's looking for trouble, much like going into a bar with a gun and drinking is looking for trouble.
Perhaps that person is forced by necessity to hoof it from their place of business in a relatively safe part of town to their home in another relatively safe part of town which happens to take them THROUGH a relatively unsafe part of town, hmm?
Barfights are common, all of us have witnessed them
And some of us have been involved in them. I got hit so hard one time I didn't wake up until the next afternoon. My possession, openly or otherwise, of a sidearm probably would not have affected the outcome, I can say that with some certainty.

Barroom brawls are not all that common. They happen. Do they happen with great frequency at Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday's? Of course not, but under THE LAW they are exactly the same as The Thirsty Camel or The Laughing Horse.
I've got a couple of minutes.:D

Attachments

• dead_horse.jpg
    dead_horse.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 68

wylde007

Maybe you have gotten used to explaining things that way to other members on the board, but I assure you, I am quite intelligent.
We hear that a lot from people who turn out to not really be.

A lot of liberals are very intelligent. That doesn't make them wise. Or useful.

XD9Sub

I have, and probably will never be involved in a shooting incident at a restaurant which serves alcohol.Perhaps that person is forced by necessity to hoof it from their place of business in a relatively safe part of town to their home in another relatively safe part of town which happens to take them THROUGH a relatively unsafe part of town, hmm?And some of us have been involved in them. I got hit so hard one time I didn't wake up until the next afternoon. My possession, openly or otherwise, of a sidearm probably would not have affected the outcome, I can say that with some certainty.
Barroom brawls are not all that common. They happen. Do they happen with great frequency at Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday's? Of course not, but under THE LAW they are exactly the same as The Thirsty Camel or The Laughing Horse.I've got a couple of minutes.:D

You, my friend, are what I like to call, full of contradictions. You got the **** beaten out of you and stated if you had a gun the outcome would have been the same? You got knocked out and the assailant sees your gun on your hip, and then what? Who knows, I'm a realist, not a guy with a crystal ball, but I'm guessing the outcome isn't him buying you a shot later that evening. And you say you have to walk home out of necessity, another what-if, because I guess public transportation doesn't exist anymore. But yet you put yourself at risk walking into a bar with a loaded gun, KNOWINGLY and then try to justify it. Whatever, I'm done with you; cute .gif by the way, I bet you were sitting at your desk with a smug grin on your face when you dusted that one off, much like your avatar.. News flash, they lost, but at least you got Nascar as a consolation prize, right?

WOOOOO WEEEEEH

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
^^ I love the use of red highlighter like my teachers in grade school and professors in college. Its like if its not in bold with an arrow sign on it I wouldn't understand what you were conveying? Maybe you have gotten used to explaining things that way to other members on the board, but I assure you, I am quite intelligent. No offense meant as you are probably one of the only ones who will side with me on this issue. I will be closely following incidents related to this new law, and only time will tell if McDonnell did the right thing

I highlighted it because I saw you were from up North.
I guess intelligence is relative.

XD9Sub

I highlighted it because I saw you were from up North.

In that case, could you highlight it blue next time, red reminds me of the confederacy :banana:

Just kidding, but seriously.

And I have this strong feeling that carrying a gun all the time is somewhat breeding a heightened sense of paranoia rather than a sense of serenity. Just another humble opinion.

Last edited:

wylde007

You, my friend, are what I like to call, full of contradictions.
Really? How so?
You got the **** beaten out of you and stated if you had a gun the outcome would have been the same?
taken out of context, you might make some sense to a weak-minded drone, but I don't fall into such a category.

I got blindsided. The moment I was out at least three other patrons (friends of mine) jumped on the guy and hauled his ass out of the door.
You got knocked out and the assailant sees your gun on your hip, and then what? Who knows, I'm a realist, not a guy with a crystal ball, but I'm guessing the outcome isn't him buying you a shot later that evening.
You make a lot of assumptions. That's not just irresponsible, it's dangerous. Being a self-righteous know-it-all is no better than a boorish lout.
And you say you have to walk home out of necessity, another what-if, because I guess public transportation doesn't exist anymore. But yet you put yourself at risk walking into a bar with a loaded gun, KNOWINGLY and then try to justify it.
More assumptions with no context. I was giving a "for instance" not describing my own personal situation.
Whatever, I'm done with you
Thank God.
And I have this strong feeling that carrying a gun all the time is somewhat breeding a heightened sense of paranoia rather than a sense of serenity. Just another humble opinion.
So why, then, are you even here? Do you only carry a gun "some of the time" because you happen to know when you are going to be attacked?

If I had that kind of clairvoyant ability, I'd buy a lottery ticket.
peter nap said:
Ain't that the truth?

celticredneck

I agree with Phil on one point. either everyone should be allowed to carry and drink or no one should" . This references the provisions allowing commonwealth attorneys and off duty leos, not in the line of duty to do so. I recognize that an under cover officer might have too drink as part of his or her cover. Personally, I'm all for not drinking while carrying, but the law should be equal. Another question I have is what about N.A, beer such as O'Doul"s? I often have one or two of those with pizza if I'm driving. But, I've heard that there is still a small alcoholic content

XD9Sub

Really? How so?taken out of context, you might make some sense to a weak-minded drone, but I don't fall into such a category.

I got blindsided. The moment I was out at least three other patrons (friends of mine) jumped on the guy and hauled his ass out of the door.You make a lot of assumptions. That's not just irresponsible, it's dangerous. Being a self-righteous know-it-all is no better than a boorish lout.More assumptions with no context. I was giving a "for instance" not describing my own personal situation.Thank God.So why, then, are you even here? Do you only carry a gun "some of the time" because you happen to know when you are going to be attacked?

If I had that kind of clairvoyant ability, I'd buy a lottery ticket.Ain't that the truth?

You give examples of for-instances and then attack me for giving a for-instance? Please, and no I don't know when I might be attacked but I know that I have made it 21 years with a handfull of fist fights and no one threatening my life. I carry when necessary, you carry beacause in the ultra conservative mind, everyone is a criminal, but you just look like a **** walking into a coffee shop with a gun; watch out for those hippies with their birkenstocks used as projectiles.
Out of the fifty or so pages of self defense stories only 4 or five have been from acutal posters. You see what you want to see and sweep the rest under the rug. The brady website has two instances in the last four months of two CHP killing a middle schooler, and get this an innocent woman, wait for it... while.... he was intoxicated! Everyone is a responsible gun owner until they are not. You feel me, cowboy? Carrying a gun constantly only raises the percentage that one misues the firearm. What you fail to see is that your campaign for 2nd A rights is constantly being marred bythose those "law-abiding" gun owners.
Go feed your what-ifs and hypotheticals to the mother who watched a "law-abiding" citizen but a defense round through her daughters head on her way from school. I'm sure she would love to hear your rationale for carrying a gun into a bar.. Not. And you can hump the law books as much as you want but there was a reason the Constitution was left up to interpretation by the founding fathers. I won't go into a history lesson, because as far as I'm concerned your history lesson stopped in 1865.

And I carry a gun some of the time because I work in a federal building that doesn't allow guns, You make a lot of assumptions. That's not just irresponsible, it's dangerous. Being a self-righteous know-it-all is no better than a boorish lout... As you would say.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry Wylde. I was busy trying to figger how to keep the hogs out of the den. Took a few minutes to make this pitcher:lol:

troll-away.jpg

XD9Sub

Ahhh right the old troll card, just because I don't conform to the ultra-conservative ideals I am labeled a troll. While another viewpoint may be that every rational individual in a bar thinks someone who walks in open carrying is a troll. And that viewpoint is probably correct, outside of places where we don't sleep with our relatives

--Warning Rules Violation--

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?34871-Basic-Rules-(UPDATED-March-2010)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In that case, could you highlight it blue next time, red reminds me of the confederacy :banana:

Just kidding, but seriously.

Many will sit back and evaluate a new poster until their persona becomes clear - its a wait and see attitude. You may be new to OC and personal defense or you may have an agenda - these remain to be seen - but you do appear to subscribe to the same verbiage as those on the other side of the fence. What's in your wallet?

Is it paranoia to always use a seat belt, have fire extinguishers, keep your doors locked or tell your kids to never talk to strangers? Do these good common sense rules only apply at certain places and at certain times?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ahhh right the old troll card, just because I don't conform to the ultra-conservative ideals I am labeled a troll. While another viewpoint may be that every rational individual in a bar thinks someone who walks in open carrying is a troll. And that viewpoint is probably correct, outside of places where we don't sleep with our relatives

That's a bowl, not a card!
and
Who sleeps?:p

Dear God!
I just saw this:
because I work in a federal building that doesn't allow guns,

You're a revenooer!

Last edited:

XD9Sub

Many will sit back and evaluate a new poster until their persona becomes clear - its a wait and see attitude. You may be new to OC and personal defense or you may have an agenda - these remain to be seen - but you do appear to subscribe to the same verbiage as those on the other side of the fence. What's in your wallet?

Is it paranoia to always use a seat belt, have fire extinguishers, keep your doors locked or tell your kids to never talk to strangers? Do these good common sense rules only apply at certain places and at certain times?

Grape I just understand what a lot of gun owners fail to see, whether it be because of how they were raised or differing ideals. This "in your face" mentality, I feel, has brought more negative attention to those wanting to carry guns. The answer isn't push it in everyone's face and make them accept it. The way many posters go about their 2A right just seems off to me. Those that do not like guns do not need a gun owner telling them why guns are ok. Just like I don't need an anti telling me why guns are bad. This whole black and white mentality, from my perspective is what hinders the movement, not helps it. The normalization that we all want is never going to happen, so the shock factor is useless. I feel like I acutally have a point on this issue after researching for months before my first firearm purchase and deciding whether or not to own one.

Last edited:

pyite

Grape I just understand what a lot of gun owners fail to see, whether it be because of how they were raised or differing ideals. This "in your face" mentality, I feel, has brought more negative attention to those wanting to carry guns. The answer isn't push it in everyone's face and make them accept it. The way many posters go about their 2A right just seems off to me. Those that do not like guns do not need a gun owner telling them why guns are ok. Just like I don't need an anti telling me why guns are bad. This whole black and white mentality, from my perspective is what hinders the movement, not helps it. The normalization that we all want is never going to happen, so the shock factor is useless. I feel like I acutally have a point on this issue after researching for months before my first firearm purchase and deciding whether or not to own one.

Did you recently move to Virginia or just turned 21? Curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.