• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VSP website

tdbarge

Was looking at the VSP site to see what they had to say about unlicensed CC in a secured container in a personal vehicle and found a mistake.

The site states that it is legal if in a LOCKED container.

TFred

Oops, apparently they didn't notice that the final version of the law was changed from "locked" to "secured".

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm

Also, see the new version of the code, updated yesterday, I presume:

§ 18.2-308

Section B.10.
10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.​

Very good catch! Most of us on these boards don't even bother reading the VSP site, because when push comes to shove, what they say doesn't really matter, only the Code of Virginia does.

TFred

tdbarge

W hen push comes to shove it could mean a sticky situation if the Trooper who pulled you over thinks that the container was supposed to be locked instead of just secured ;) Hopefully they're not giving the troopers bad info and are informing them that it only has to be secured.

TFred

W hen push comes to shove it could mean a sticky situation if the Trooper who pulled you over thinks that the container was supposed to be locked instead of just secured ;) Hopefully they're not giving the troopers bad info and are informing them that it only has to be secured.
To the contrary... if the VSP website says "locked", I don't have any doubt that they think the law says "locked". I would count on state troopers being incorrectly informed.

I guess it's better to have too many people write and tell them than to have nobody write and tell them. They do provide a Contact Us page with e-mail addresses. They have responded to me in the past about stuff.

I recon I'll drop them a note. I doubt anyone will respond until after the holiday.

TFred

P.S. This isn't a case where we need to change someone's mind... it's a simple mistake, I'm pretty certain they will fix it as soon as they can.

Last edited:

TFred

Mail sent... and HA! I've got so much McDonald on the brain from this week, I almost sent it with the sentence:

This statement reflects a preliminary version of the law that was changed when Governor McDonald sent it back to the General Assembly for final action.​

Oops!! That would have been embarrassing! :eek:

TFred

P.S. I did also suggest that they check to ensure that the troopers had been given the correct information! Talk about a lawsuit... being arrested and charged with a crime that doesn't exist...!

tdbarge

Heard back from the VSP! Kinda surprised they got back to me so quickly. Hopefully the page gets changed after the long weekend.

Dear Mr. Barge,

We are aware of the error and the page will be corrected as soon as possible.

Thank you,

, Manager
Firearms Transaction Center
Department of State Police
Post Office Box 85608
Richmond, VA 23285-5608
TEL: 804-674-2210
FAX: 804-674-2791

TFred

Yep, I got a reply as well! Looks like they're working on a Saturday.

TFred

Dear Mr. TFred (ha ha, not really!),

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The page will be corrected as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Tate, Manager
Firearms Transaction Center
Department of State Police
Post Office Box 85608
Richmond, VA 23285-5608​