• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gonna try and get some air time on 106.5 the arch for OC

usmcbess

We should consider starting a fund to get some Open Carry public service annoucements on our local radio stations.

Last edited:

YuppieDog

I am playing devil's advocate here:

What message are you wanting to send out? Are you gonna do more damage than good?

They already think we are right wing nutjobs that like to OC and scare the liberals in public places. Maybe we should not go off half cocked and give them more ammo.

If we all had the same uniform message, came up with a consensus of what that should be, we would get a far better response.

If we all go off in different directions with different messages, it would cancel each other out by sending out mixed signals, we are wasting our efforts.

Still just my opinion.

goalseter88

yah thats going to be a hard one i think. i also think that you be beter doing a TV commercial. i think you could protray OC beter with video included then just someone talking on a radio.
plus i t hink you have to just get a group of like minded ppl on it. i mean like minded as in like how far out are you going to go with it. some ppl would want a very conservative message. and some ppl would want something very extreme. and if the ppl involved arent very close on their idea of the broadcast. i think you prob never get to actually broadcasting due to fighting on if its too extreme or too conservative.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
PSA's are a good idea. but there needs to be an org tied to it.

OC remains fairly fringe in many ways and far more diverse in the routes taken to try and change things. This poses problems and differences of opinion on the direction a group should go.

This lends itself to just what OC is, a loos group of folks who have similar beliefs but few who seek to actually formulate a plan. Folks are just a lot more independent and tend not to want to get involved or be flexible enough to progress.

Talking to the press ill-prepared is extremely unwise and if you ever for one second operate under the fantasy they are on your side or intend upon assisting you in your cause, you are indeed mistaken.

usmcbess

Just the facts

I'm talking something like giving a short definition and the law in our state. Just a simple short imformative message. Not go so much for advocatcy.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I'm talking something like giving a short definition and the law in our state. Just a simple short imformative message. Not go so much for advocatcy.

Would be tough to get into a 15 or 30 second blipvert really. Think about it, you have three stages of OC, Unrestricted, CCW restricted, and fully restricted, then add the fourth type where it requires owners written permission etc.

On top of that, you must be very cautious that you are not offering legal advice if you are not a lawyer and you could step over that line very easily.

If we had an organisation up and running we could offer up public service announcements and meeting announcements for little to no cost etc, but with recent efforts having a lack of interest it is just not likely to happen for a couple of years.

cash50

A short definition? The law in our state?

That's a helluva lot of information to try to get across. It would be confusing and overwhelming to attempt to get people into it this way.

The best way is by OC'ing and talking to people. I referred a guy to the website last week after talking to him, and I could tell he was overwhelmed by the info I was giving. But he was interested, and so we some others that stood nearby as we spoke.

nrepuyan

a short informative message which will confuse the people in this area to hell, as for some it applies, some it doesn't.

you take to steps to the east and you're ok, one step north you're not, back to the west you might be...

...for this area and it's municipality regulation, it would confuse the hell out of people and possible get some into trouble as they would just go off of what they heard on the radio without actually researching anything themselves...