Thread: Center console holster... I did it, looks good

Center console holster... I did it, looks good

Follow these steps

1: Purchase a Blackhawk Quck disconnect kit (Additional holster optional if you don't like using the quick disconnect on your hip),

2: Purchase three 1/4" - 20x machine screws. be sure to get a length that will not protrude as far as to interfere with componates that may be inside the console. Purchase at least three 1/4" - 20 nuts, and at least three 1/4" washers

3: Remove your center console IAW the remove & replace procedure for your make and model of vehicle and determine the best placement for your quick disconnect female bracket, taking into consideration for clearance inside the console. there may be components that are very tightly placed in there.

4: Mark out the holes and drill them out with a 1/4" drill bit.

5: Bolt your quick disconnect female adapter to the console and replace it in your vehicle.

6: Attach the male quick disconnect adapter to your desired holster You may need to play with the configuration of the male adapter to achieve the desired ride angle.

This is what mine looks like:

Looks nice! If I had a center console, I'd consider doing the same to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    Looks nice! If I had a center console, I'd consider doing the same to mine.
    The same technique can be applied to any location in the car provided that you can get behind the panel to attach the nuts. For locations where you can not get behind the panel you can drill your pilot holes and use self-tapping threaded inserts with an internal thread diameter of 1/4" and a thread pitch of 20 tpi. Avoid using threaded inserts that are designed to be tapped in, these are not for plastic applications, they are for metal and wood. Also keep in mind that you need to use extreme caution when drilling into a panel if you are not sure what is behind it.

I chose to do this because I was concerned that the grip was going to wear a hole through the seat cover, and the seat belt seems to be a serious obstruction should I need to draw my firearm quickly.

For those times that you store your firearm in your car I recommend disconnecting the holster from the mount and stow it away. The presence of a visible holster is a clue to burglars that there may be a firearm in the car and they will be more inclined to break in and try to steal it. This is where the quick disconnect system comes in very very handy. A burglar knows what a holster looks like, they may or may not know that the quick disconnect belongs to a holster. Therefore, simply mounting a holster by itself is inadvisable. Also, this is interchangeable. want to leave your Glock at home and carry your 1911 today? just lock in your 1911 holster and you're set.

I love that idea......thought about doing that to some other cars....but not to my 2006 Jaguar XJR.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts5150 View Post
    I love that idea......thought about doing that to some other cars....but not to my 2006 Jaguar XJR.
    Every Jaguar should have a clever way to mount a firearm, the thing is, the firearm must be pimp like the car it's riding in. I'm thinking something like this would ride well in a Jag;

But only if you're wearing a velvet zoot suit and a fuzzy hat. And spinner wheels are a must when pimping this 1911.

Campaign Veteran

Thumbs up

Now that's what I'm talking about! That looks very nice. Been wanting to do just that, and now that I can show my wife a picture, I think I will be able to do it LOL. Thanks and nice work.

BTW, I have the same holster, can you buy the quick release mount separately?
    Last edited by dchoepp; 07-03-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Installed this little guy a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dchoepp View Post
    Now that's what I'm talking about! That looks very nice. Been wanting to do just that, and now that I can show my wife a picture, I think I will be able to do it LOL. Thanks and nice work.

BTW, I have the same holster, can you buy the quick release mount separately?
    Yes, the quick release kit comes with two female mounts and one male adapter. You can aso order a single maie adapter for around $13 from blackhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    Every Jaguar should have a clever way to mount a firearm, the thing is, the firearm must be pimp like the car it's riding in.
    It is....a Black Jag....and a Black Sig 229.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

Banned

Banned

Banned
    96 Z 28

If anyone local needs some tools for a more custom install, hit me up. I have a full machine shop in Henderson with all the taps and drills you would need.

Also that is a pretty sweet set up Carrier.

My ultimate goal is to completely recess the Female quick disconnect addapter into the console leaving notches to get your thumb and for-finger into the release latches . I intend to basically fiberglass it in there and then sand is smooth and just put a fresh vinyl cover over it to make it look more factory.

I can only imagine the question marks above peoples head after I trade it in and they see this odd looking thing on the console when they are contemplating buying it as a pre-owned car.

Banned
    There were no modifications to the Z needed. I shaped a pipe to fit the parking brake handle, welded a bracket to fit the pipe to a mounting plate for the blackhawk, and slid the whole unit onto the brake handle. It did scar the handle a little, but a new one, or new leather on it would bring it back to original. I got this one out of a junkyard for 10$

Funny thing happened today on my way home from work. I rolled through a DUI checkpoint and after rolling down my window the officer informed me of the reason for the check point, looked down and saw my firearm and asked me to pull into an adjacent parking lot and park. So I'm thinking "Here we go." A minute or two later an officer relieved him and he came to my window and said "that's a nice rig, do you mind if I ask how you did that?" He said he's been looking for some ideas for a similar setup for his own personal car but he liked my setup because it was interchangeable. Then he apologized for taking up my time and thanked me for my advice.

Banned
    now thats nice for a change.