• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan - hold up a sec!

erb

In Michigan, you can open carry a registered gun WITHOUT a Concealed Pistol License.

If someone OCs without a CPL, then their pistol registration card is what they would disclose if need be, correct?

But I don't have to disclose ID if approached by a LEO in public or private property, correct? Or is it just private property?

What I'm getting at is - what if someone were to OC with an illegal gun?

craigm

You only need the card if you turned in the registration paperwork in the last 30 days... you don't even need to carry it past that. As for carrying an unregistered pistol, they'd need to have a reason (or your consent) to run the registration. They may stop you and run it without good reason and you'd probably lose in local courts, but with a good lawyer you should be able to get off the hook if they didn't have RAS.

You don't need ID to OC. I won't get into the complications of OC'ing in pistol-free zones. The Michigan forum would be a much better place if you want to get into details.