• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - OpenCarry.org one of nation's most influential gun groups

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjQRxA_L2v2U-su2qitTlf29N7xQD9GN2JE83

SNIP

Groups fill NRA void in gun rights movement
By GREG BLUESTEIN (AP)

ATLANTA — The gun rights movement may have more momentum now than ever, but the groups behind it aren't all united.

Many are grass-roots organizations formed in the last few years because the powerful National Rifle Association was too busy, or too big, to help fight city and statewide gun laws. The constellation of smaller splinter groups are more aggressive and will play a leading role in hashing out the scope of the Supreme Court's latest ruling supporting gun rights, in part by filing lawsuits at the local level.

. . .

One of the most influential upstarts is Opencarry.org, which this year led a high-profile campaign to urge Starbucks and other retailers to allow gun owners to carry their weapons openly within the stores. The NRA never endorsed the campaign.

"The NRA has, by necessity, had to focus the vast majority of their resources over the last few decades at the federal level," said John Pierce, who co-founded OpenCarry.org in 2004. "They're focused on general gun rights, what we can do to protect the most gun owners."

The NRA's Arulanandam said the organization has fought for the right to carry concealed weapons — although some critics say the group isn't doing enough. It has also helped push legislation across the country that requires officials to issue firearms permits to people who meet requirements, stripping them of discretion. The NRA also supports pre-emptive legislation that reaffirms Second Amendment rights.

The group showed its influence last month when NRA lobbyists persuaded the Democratic-controlled House to exempt it and other large interest groups from identifying top donors.

"On any given day, the NRA is the only entity that is fighting at every possible level — the legal level, the international level, the federal level and the state and local government level. Our challenges are multiple because we're active on multiple playing fields," Arulanandam said.

___

Online:

http://www.nra.org

http://www.opencarry.org

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/

http://www.georgiacarry.org

http://www.vcdl.org

KansasMustang

We all know it's because the NRA just wants to go along to get along and not make waves. IF in 1930 the NRA had really been about all gun rights we could all own full auto weapons like the 2A intended. Does that mean I want a bazooka? No, they're out of date. But if WE The People are to be as was intended in the Constitution to be the Militia also, then we would be enabled to own the weapons that are currently used on the modern battlefields. Just me sayin' it. Keep up the good work Mike. We need to stand together or surely we will hang seperately

Dreamer

When I was in Annapolis MD this past February to testify in support of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity bill (HB52), there wasn't an NRA official to be seen. As an NRA member was an embarrassment. I took my pin off my lapel before the proceedings began...

The NRA National Headquarters is in Fairfax VA. That is less than 1.5 hours away from Annapolis MD. If I can drive here from NC (6+ hours) on my own dime, then the LEAST the NRA could do was send a clerk to read a prepared statement or something. But they didn't send anyone.

We all pretty much knew that this bill was a lost cause in MD, but that's not the point.

It seems the NRA has been picking it's cases recently, and ONLY gives official backing to cases it KNOWS it can win--which is why they held off supporting Heller and McDonald for so long in the beginning phases of those cases. Seems sort of cowardly to me...

But this article is right--the local grass-roots groups were there in support. "MD Shall Issue" was there, and I think VCDL sent a person too. Several very well-spoken individuals from MD, VA, PA and other states were there.

But no NRA official presence...

Deacon Blues

It seems the NRA has been picking it's cases recently, and ONLY gives official backing to cases it KNOWS it can win--which is why they held off supporting Heller and McDonald for so long in the beginning phases of those cases. Seems sort of cowardly to me...
You won't get an attorney to represent you unless he thinks he has an 80% chance of winning. The NRA has worked with lawyers long enough to absorb some of their thinking.

The advocates and the attorneys are one now.

Ruby

I joined the NRA for the first time last year, and just recently renewed my membership, an action I am beginning to regret. I am very disappointed with the deal they made with the Democrats over the Disclose Act and allowing themselves to be muzzled. I am even more disappointed that they have come out in support of Reid, an avid anti-gun person who never met an anti-gun piece of legislation that he didn't like. All over a gun range in Nevada?!? I don't think this organization is looking out for it's members anymore, if it ever did. Or for gunners in general, member or not. I am seriously considering rescinding my membership and sending them my card in little pieces. I know I won't get my money back, but I will have the satisfaction of telling them where to go. IF and WHEN they start serving the needs and desires of gunners, then I may consider rejoining.

VFORVENDETTA

I joined the NRA for the first time last year, and just recently renewed my membership, an action I am beginning to regret. I am very disappointed with the deal they made with the Democrats over the Disclose Act and allowing themselves to be muzzled. I am even more disappointed that they have come out in support of Reid, an avid anti-gun person who never met an anti-gun piece of legislation that he didn't like. All over a gun range in Nevada?!? I don't think this organization is looking out for it's members anymore, if it ever did. Or for gunners in general, member or not. I am seriously considering rescinding my membership and sending them my card in little pieces. I know I won't get my money back, but I will have the satisfaction of telling them where to go. IF and WHEN they start serving the needs and desires of gunners, then I may consider rejoining.

Hey that was a $61,000,000 gun range!

sudden valley gunner

Our little group of around 25,000 members (many who do not OC) have been doing a lot more than the 4,000,000 plus member NRA. We don't play games we don't compromise, and we attack things locally thats how you get things done.

Phssthpok

One of the most influential upstarts is Opencarry.org, which this year led a high-profile campaign to urge Starbucks and other retailers to allow gun owners to carry their weapons openly within the stores. The NRA never endorsed the campaign.

You know...I realize I'm a month late to this thread, but this has always bothered me.

In all the video clips and interviews i've seen and heard, I don't recall even ONCE ever hearing anyone associated with OCDO (even remotely) 'urging' Starbucks to allow lawfully carried sidearms, nor did anyone single out Starbucks as a 'target' for such an effort.

Both of these claims come from 'the other side' (the Brady Bunch, et al.) and, in fact, reflect EXACTLY what they themselves were doing...targeting Starbucks, and urging them to adopt their viewpoint. In fact, there is a video out there of a Brady rally in Seattle where one woman is shown to, and I quote, "DEMAND" that Starbucks prohibit lawfully carried side arms...right there in the doorway of the store!

All we did, after being asked to leave one merchant of caffeinated yummyness (which was done without fuss I might add), was to take our business to another location where we were not unwelcome. Starbucks wasn't selected because we wanted them to take a position to openly support us...it was selected because their policies didn't discriminate against us, and we chose to reward them for that by giving them our business.

To claim that we DEMANDED that Starbucks adopt a policy of supporting us is inaccurate, misleading, and disingenuous...kinda like the term 'assault weapon'. We really should start calling out these 'reporters' on these defamations of character.:cuss:

eye95

That's the difference between a top-down organization like Brady and a bottom-up, grassroots "organization" like OCDO.

Brady, at the top, decides to take action against Starbucks, so the leadership organizes the rank and file to do protests. On OCDO, the members discuss supporting Starbucks (without any demands). A large number of us, in many disorganized shows of support, get together at our local Starbucks and demonstrate that we are a bunch of civil, well-mannered, and benign folks, just going about our business.

Considering that we are part of a movement celebrating the sovereignty of the individual, it is only natural that we would operate in a bottom-up fashion, as opposed to having a tyrannical top-down structure.

WCrawford

Have so many forgotten about the GOA or is it just because that they are the LARGEST "NO Compromise" advocacy group???? And yes OCDO is very influential and very very imporatnt. God Bless OCDO and ALL of its members!!!

I don't think that anyone has forgotten the GAO, JPFO, or even the 2AF. These organizations don't go around tooting their own horns when they negotiate away our rights.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
That's the difference between a top-down organization like Brady and a bottom-up, grassroots "organization" like OCDO.

Brady, at the top, decides to take action against Starbucks, so the leadership organizes the rank and file to do protests. On OCDO, the members discuss supporting Starbucks (without any demands). A large number of us, in many disorganized shows of support, get together at our local Starbucks and demonstrate that we are a bunch of civil, well-mannered, and benign folks, just going about our business.

Considering that we are part of a movement celebrating the sovereignty of the individual, it is only natural that we would operate in a bottom-up fashion, as opposed to having a tyrannical top-down structure.

Ahh, that wonderful and mysterious word, sovereign. Much is ascribed to this word by the Founders in their various writings but we seldom see it used in that context today. We do hear of sovereign nations, and/or the sovereignty thereof, but I wonder if Americans really understand the word in its context of the founding and design our our nation?

An interesting question one might pose to another is this; "What or who/whom is the supreme sovereign in the United States"? Assuming they at least have a fundamental understanding of the term, they are more likely to answer, "the government" or "the supreme court" (the word supreme could throw them with this one). Probably they will not be prepared or even accepting of the answer you give when you say, "the supreme sovereign in this nation is We the People". Simply put, it is the people who are the final authority, the highest power, and the point at which all stops with their rank. There is no higher power or authority in this nation, in human form, that that held and reserved by and for We the People.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think the main reason we are one of the most influential forums is because we hold the moral high ground while being willing to call out those who use subversive tactics to effect their personal agendas.

lowlux

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Bashing other gun rights groups

KansasMustang

You "Get it" Eye95 you truly do. Top down, bottom up, inside out

Brion

I think the main reason we are one of the most influential forums is because we hold the moral high ground while being willing to call out those who use subversive tactics to effect their personal agendas.

Exactly, and we have to be real carefull. The people that make policy are now doing back door business to skirt by us when we are not looking. I just heared on the radio that the same folks up in New York that are trying to ban child games at summer camp like dodgeball and redrover dropped the plans to pass the ban after comming under fire so quickly by parents and community members. Thanks to someone reporting what they were planning. But now they said they will still try to pass policy at a later date when folks are not looking. This could happen with such agencies as BATF.

Problem is we are not what the media like to report on, so getting the word out there is easy among folks here at oc.org, but how do we get it out to those that care but are not in this community of internet forums.

Word of mouth is number 1.